We and the Windsor 2018

keithb7

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Inspired by @Worden18, today I idled to the end of my driveway to capture a couple 2019 fall foliage pis.

Now I'll  go take my more-door out now for a real cruise...

IMGP0089 (1).JPG

If that isn't postcard material....

• Like 1

Really nice day here today. We had some company this weekend. I took the opportunity to take my brother out for a cruise. Later our boys, their fiancés and a large group of their friends all stopped by for a visit. Always nice to have the girls around.  Here I am tucking my Windsor in for the night. 

74C7D943-BB73-4E71-8692-632FFC032644.jpeg

• Like 4

Today I dropped in to visit to see a friend who is an old Mopar lover. He gave me some great used parts today. 

I am pretty excited to acquire 6 original axle bearing shims!  Of varying thicknesses. You can’t buy these, that I know of. 3 fuel pumps. 2 carbs. Some relays. I also got all the parts for the park brake system from a ‘53 Mopar. A real score for me, as I need to address the handle locking mechanism in my ‘53 Windsor. 

My ‘53 and my ‘38 will greatly benefit from these parts. Thanks Don!

FB673158-27FA-4F01-99DD-82CDAF71C5F5.jpeg

301DD067-EF14-42FC-A9BA-699299A95E06.jpeg

• Like 4

Lately I can't seem to get enough vintage Mopar info to feed my desire to learn more. I think I am currently in "obsessed" mode. ? Between working on my '38, driving my '53, and visiting a few web sites, I get a pretty good fix. It's seems it's just not enough these days. The leaves have all fallen. The cooler weather has most all of the old cars in hibernation by now. I'm itching to go see some more old cars, but there seems to be few opportunities to do so by this late in the year. Next week I am driving the Car Club's '28 Dodge Bros car in an evening, lighted parade. I am looking forward to that.

As long as the snow holds up, I will be out for a cruise in my Chrysler on any weekend ahead. My upcoming winter projects are focused around my '38. That should keep me occupied. I am settling in to a pattern. The dark evenings are filled with daily work in my garage, working on my '38. Lots of little picky work trying to salvage 81 year old hardware that's never seen lube. You folks know all about that I'm sure. My Windsor will not see any major repairs this winter. It's in a holding pattern until its part, in 2 weddings is completed next year. 

Tonight I am having respectful thoughts about members here who have done a full restoration on an old car. Endless hours spent, nit-picking over every little thing. Cheers to you folks for preserving automobile history! ? -K

IMGP0056 (1).JPG

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Lately I can't seem to get enough vintage Mopar info to feed my desire to learn more. I think I am currently in "obsessed" mode. ? Between working on my '38, driving my '53, and visiting a few web sites, I get a pretty good fix. It's seems it's just not enough these days. The leaves have all fallen. The cooler weather has most all of the old cars in hibernation by now. I'm itching to go see some more old cars, but there seems to be few opportunities to do so by this late in the year. Next week I am driving the Car Club's '28 Dodge Bros car in an evening, lighted parade. I am looking forward to that.

As long as the snow holds up, I will be out for a cruise in my Chrysler on any weekend ahead. My upcoming winter projects are focused around my '38. That should keep me occupied. I am settling in to a pattern. The dark evenings are filled with daily work in my garage, working on my '38. Lots of little picky work trying to salvage 81 year old hardware that's never seen lube. You folks know all about that I'm sure. My Windsor will not see any major repairs this winter. It's in a holding pattern until its part, in 2 weddings is completed next year. 

Tonight I am having respectful thoughts about members here who have done a full restoration on an old car. Endless hours spent, nit-picking over every little thing. Cheers to you folks for preserving automobile history! ? -K

IMGP0056 (1).JPG

I feel a lot of the same sentiments, Keith. Since I don't have a heated place to work on my Plymouth it will just get to spend the winter in the barn away from the elements. It doesn't really need anything mechanically that I know of right now - at least nothing that I can tackle. I'll have to enjoy the different threads and questions on this forum for a few months. 

We will be down in the teens here in MN by next Monday which is unusually cold for this time of year and we don't even have snow on the ground yet! I'll probably take my Plymouth to work a few more times (hopefully) I'm not ready to store it just yet!

Thanks for sharing your cars with us! It will be fun to see what you do with your '38 over the course of winter. 

• Like 1

We woke up this morning to our first snowfall of the winter. A good dump of about 7-8 inches. I’m not quite mentally ready for winter and snow removal. I’m still enjoying fall cruising up until last weekend even.  I won’t bring my Chrysler back out until the roads are bare and dry again. I’d wager that’ll happen soon. The snow is usually is not here to stay until mid-Dec. 

So my ‘53 is tucked in and cozy for the time being.

This winter I’ll be banging away on my ‘38.  I’m pretty content for the winter ahead. We just installed new cold weather insulated garage doors. They have a high “R” rating. Once we get down to about -20C or so I was unable to keep any heat in the garage.  Then I won’t work out there. Then I get grumpy and anxious for warmer weather. I go a little squirrel-y and drive my wife nuts. So the deal was, this year I get new garage doors and hopefully I can keep busy all winter. 

Here they both are as they’ll sit all winter. 

E17D9C17-2869-4984-8245-923E8B9F0DB4.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

@pflaming, I agree -5F is not horrible. But the key word in your statement was “When I was a teenager”. Yes I too did plenty work out in the cold over my life.  When I was younger. Today I have grown accustomed to the warmer temps and warm tools in a heated shop. Today I’ve grown soft. I prefer not to see my breath when I am working on old cars as a hobby! ?

I recall a few times when I lived farther up north in Canada. Fuel pump went out of my family mini-van. A Mopar of course. Our Kids were little. Money was tight. Middle of winter. I had no garage or roof over my head to work on the van. I did have a driveway and a few tools. It was -5F  over the weekend I worked on it. I dropped the dang fuel tank and installed a new fuel pump.  I recall kicking the tarp to knock the ice and snow off it before I started each morning. Got it done. Look at where it got me today! No problem dropping old fuel tanks in vintage Mopars in my heated garage. ?

History, not many of us left who grew up without electricity,  telephone, no radio after sunset, etc. That was how it was. We got electricity in 1948, I was 10. To have lights in the barn was high cotton! 

• Like 1

I, too, would like to follow your progress on the '38 this winter (as much as following your adventures with the '53).  I had originally thought I would start a cosmetic resto on our '37 Terraplane this winter, but I scored some long sought after parts for our D24 not long ago that I think the restoration thereof will take precedence (:huh:) then I have to replace the clutch on my VW Bug.  Not that I won't have time to do some work on the T-plane, our winters here are just as long as yours (we had snow on the ground for 8 months last winter), and our old autos are tucked away for the winter now, too.  Got a nice snowfall a few days ago that looks like it'll stick for the duration.  I like to get inspiration from other folks in similar situations.  Our garage/shop was originally built to house a nefarious year-round marijuana grow, (many years before we bought the place, and many years before Maine legalized the stuff), so it is well insulated against Maine winters, I can just about heat it with a match, but have a nice pellet stove in it that keeps it at t-shirt temperature on the lowest setting most of the winter.  Sometimes I may need to turn it up to two or three in February.  Anyway, here's to long winters that give some of us time to putter with our cars without fretting about getting out and driving them at the same time. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 1:43 PM, keithb7 said:

Today I dropped in to visit to see a friend who is an old Mopar lover. He gave me some great used parts today. 

I am pretty excited to acquire 6 original axle bearing shims!  Of varying thicknesses. You can’t buy these, that I know of. 3 fuel pumps. 2 carbs. Some relays. I also got all the parts for the park brake system from a ‘53 Mopar. A real score for me, as I need to address the handle locking mechanism in my ‘53 Windsor. 

My ‘53 and my ‘38 will greatly benefit from these parts. Thanks Don!

FB673158-27FA-4F01-99DD-82CDAF71C5F5.jpeg

FYI, I ran across a Chrysler tech note, that was about 1957 or so. It talks about how the specification on the rear axle play should be increased on the older Chrysler's from the book value which is memory serves was like 8 thou. The new freeways and higher driving speeds were causing axles to "grow" due to the increased heat and bind on the floating block in the middle of the pumpkin. I think they said to go up to something like 15 thou or the like.

James.

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

History, not many of us left who grew up without electricity,  telephone, no radio after sunset, etc. That was how it was. We got electricity in 1948, I was 10. To have lights in the barn was high cotton! 

Respectfully, you’ve been around the block!  Sir, thank you for coming here and sharing your insight and experience. Being 10 in 1948 ties you in nicely with my 1938 Plymouth. Hope to see you again over in that thread I’m running. 

Edited by keithb7

who can say that having a wrench stuck to your fingers isn't fun ? This seems to occur at about  +5 F which is as cold as I have experienced here on Vancouver Island (coastal, 49th parallel of latitude)  The tongue stuck to the flagpole was not one of the hazards we encountered here, thank goodness.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much new to share about my ‘53. I was just taking out the garbage to the curb. When I turned around this is what I saw. A photo opp. I love a garage with a couple old Mopars in it. 

My 38 jacked up with the tranny out. My ‘53 just standing by, waiting for another cruise. 

Nice crisp evening here tonite. 

34613FCA-0505-4CA2-931E-869610AACF0A.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Not much new to share about my ‘53. I was just taking out the garbage to the curb. When I turned around this is what I saw. A photo opp. I love a garage with a couple old Mopars in it. 

My 38 jacked up with the tranny out. My ‘53 just standing by, waiting for another cruise. 

Very nice Keith! My Plymouth got tucked in for the winter last night. We are expecting a snowstorm tonight and another Friday through the weekend.... I calculated 1304 miles put on it since purchased in June. Not bad! It did burn/use 5-6 quarts of oil in that time though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Looking good man! ?

• Thanks 1

Keith, thats a nicely composed pic.........are you sure your not a professional photohog.........lol............would make a nice calendar pic actually.........andyd

@AndydodgeI am no photographer. Iphones make for great photos. You can live crop the images before snapping a pic. Then adjust colors, hue, brightness, and much more. I think it would be better if my Windsor was turned around with the headlights pointing out. 

Regarding all the pics, I just like sharing my cars with you folks here. Its fun and I love the feelings I get just walking by either of my old cars. Let alone drive them. Then when people come up and actually want to talk about my passion, it's so engaging. I sometimes wonder if I appear to be bragging. I try not brag or boast about my cars. My old '38 is junk to many sets of eyes. Yet I'll drive it proudly with a huge grin.There are plenty nicer and more appealing cars out there for sure. I do like to share my car experiences as I am so tied up and engaged in the hobby.

Looking at my shop, I had to admit it seems adequate.I always dreamt of having a lift. The more work I do here, I realize I can get by pretty well as it is. I suppose until I am too old and creaky to get back up from the floor.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

Keith, yeh would probably be better with the Windsor turned around but its a nice pic either way........and as you say you get the same if not more enjoyment from your cars that the more popular ones may get yet you can use your car without the worry those owners may have........there ain't nothing wrong with more doors............lol..................regards, andyd    

• 4 weeks later...

Fired up my Chrysler today and let it get up to operating temperature. I took it for a drive around the block.  Kind of nice to be able to do that. It helps get through the winters!

22FCC51D-843C-469B-A7A3-CB0801457B3F.jpeg

• Like 3

Your car is so nice in any picture!

Thanks for the kind words folks. Chrysler made ‘em pretty nice for sure.  I wish I could take some credit but all i do is show it off. Lol. 

My Windsor has 2 months worth of “garage dust”  on it here. It’s too cold to wash it, I just took it out for a drive and snapped a pic. That everglades green paint covers up a lot!