We and the Windsor 2018

keithb7

Something that I can’t quite nail-down is happening. Fuel gauge was reading ¼ when it began to loose power on the hiway at 60 MPH. 

I got off the 4-lane hiway right away. An exit was conveniently just ahead. Got on a two lane country road. Car seemed to be fine again for another mile or two then died for good. Coasted to a stop about ¼ mile from a gas station. 

I walked up while my wife waited in the Chrysler. They had a small gas can that I borrowed. Only held about 1 ¼ gallons of fuel. (5L jerry can). I dumped that into the fuel tank. Cranked it over. No fire. Still no fuel. 

There was about a tablespoon of gas left in the gas can. I pulled off my air filter and dumped it in the carb venturi. Car flashed ip for a couple of seconds then died again. I knew now for sure that it was a fuel problem. I pushed the car, while my wife steered, up the road ahead to a driveway. Talked to home owner and left it there. 

Son picked us up. I returned the borrowed gas can to the gas station. When I got home I grabbed some tools and a larger gas can and headed back to the car.

I cranked it over again first. The car was cool now. To see if maybe it was a vapor lock. No go. I dumped another 2 ½ gallons of fuel in the tank. Cranked engine for a 3-4 seconds. No go. Stopped, waited 5 seconds and cranked again. The fuel pump did its job and pulled fuel up to carb bowl and she flashed up. It ran perfectly to the gas station just up ahead. I stopped, shut off engine. Put another 5 gallons in the tank and drove it home. Smooth as silk. 

Something odd is going on. My fuel gage may be out. Reading ¼, my tank could be actually empty?  If that were the case why did it not fire up when I put the first 5L in? 

Maybe for some reason my fuel pump won’t pull fuel when I get down to the last quarter of a tank? 

This same symptom occured to my son last summer when he was out cruising. Gauge  was reading about ¼ full then too. At that time I dropped the tank to investigate. I found the fuel pick-up screen/puck had become disconnected from the bottom of the tank floor. I had the tank boiled and pick up screen brazed back in place. At that time I theorized that the pick-up screen was flopping around inside the tank grasping gulps of air.

At that occurance last summer I installed the new fuel pump, as the old one I had no history on. No idea how old it was. 

Maybe the pick-up screen has broke free again? I am very doubtful. Maybe my tank is not properly venting? When I get down to ¼ a vacuum has developed strong enough that the pump can’t overcome it? Doubtful as today when I added gas I would have equalized any air pressure diffential in the tank. It still wouldn’t start. 

Maybe these old fuel systems need some help in the form of head pressure from the weight of the gas in the tank? Down to ¼ tank the system won’t perform?

I don’t know. I’m interested in hearing any ideas. Maybe I should adjust the float arm on my fuel gauge sending unit? Get it to read empty sooner? Maybe I should install a 6V electric pump with a toggle switch? That will offer more fuel pressure when needed? I just toggle on the electric pump and see what happens when Engine dies with ¼ tank of fuel? 

Edited by keithb7

At any rate, when we arrived at the car swap meet, they guided me right inside the swap meet gate. They has us old cars drive right in and be a part of the show at the swap meet. We got VIP parking. Everyone else was sent to park in a tick infested hay field. Lol. It was cool to get special treatment. Met more cool folks and talked Mopar for a while. Was a decent swap meet. I bought a couple tools I could use. My wife Heather enjoyed herself too. Aside from the little roadside inconvenience. ?

21AC9179-114C-44CD-9EE7-E1713D4DB8B8.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Keith, go by odometer mileage for your fuel consumption and not by the fuel guage if there's even a slim chance it might be off.  Every time I fill up I log the odometer and gallons pumped on the "notes" in my phone.  My guage is unreliable.

At least you'll know just how much gas you have to the nearest gallon or two, depending on how consistent of mpg your car gets.  Also, in my experience, the fuel pumps can work fine, and then just stop working.  That one I had on last year was brand new, worked fine, then all of a sudden didn't work at all, etc.  Ended up putting another brand new pump on after going through hell trying to diagnose it.  Electric fuel pump might not be a bad idea.  

Perhaps the flexible hose ar the pump is collapsing internally.    Low fuel level and a long uphill grade would bring on the problem..,,,,,,  I would not envy anyone with fuel problems when climbing up out of Kamloops.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:02 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Not sure why the list shows C60 and C64 Engine codes at the very bottom of the list for 1953 and 54 six cylinder cars.

The correct engine stamped six cylinder code for 1953 will be C-53..... A V-8 for 1953 would be C-53-8.....

I have both a 1953 C-53...... six engine and a C-54..... six engine.

Some more parts and shop manual six cylinder Chrysler 1951 C-51 engine number info... 1953 should be the same.......IE 1953 C-53.....engine #

IMG_7301.JPG

Chrysler Serial Numbers.JPG

I must be seeing things.   I see the codes in the square box at the bottom being C53 - the engine number prefix.   The one on the bottom line below the box is C54, for a 1954 Chrysler Windsor.   The C53 would be the engine number prefix for the 1953 Chrysler Windsor (C60-1) and Windsor DeLuxe (C60-2).   The C54 would be the engine number for the 1954 Chrysler Windsor DeLuxe (C62).   The list has the 1954 model as Chrysler Windsor, but both 1954 and 1955 models were Windsor DeLuxe.  No basic Windsor for either 1954 or 1955.

The Canadian-built 1951-57 Chrysler engine numbers did not use the model year as the engine number prefix, but the Engineering Dept model code, along with a "C" suffix.

As for the registration for C53-804-8220, the number is for a 1953 New Yorker - C53-8 048220.   No idea how the registration got there, but it definitely is for another car.  

And being that it is an American-built Chrysler you can get the build record for the car from Fiat Chrysler Historical.   They don't do the enclosed letter with all the codes decoded, but you can get the build record with the engine number, dealer info, etc.

I'm a firm believer in electric fuel pumps. I have an extra one and tools required to change it, in my truck. One huge benefit for me is instant starting, hot or cold. 

Real nice warm evening for a walk along the river with some ice cream. We parked downtown and walked to the river for waffle cones. My wife and I.

yCxQOGhMMpCNDxiC2ToZ7nkAwSjZ1FXqMQyxUMNG

0jjjexqRxPM-d4l9xtMWE0FVZx9LQr-tHgHrpR2I

In the driveway. Ready to head in the garage for the night. I am thinking I'll go try another hi-way adventure on Sunday. Test the car again with plenty of fuel in the tank this time.

3Qdi4LMQOSGzB0iRih5xu0izy5vEzwmmdeEViGnU

A local store had car covers at 40% off. I got the biggest, longest one they had. For a 19 ft car. Just barely fit. I hate the dust that settles on the car, just from sitting in the garage.

b1LBA0wOWB14k9MFEvarBeRf8H3-SSk0JxtEDOci

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I pulled both rear drums off for an inspection last night. About 500 miles on my brakes now since they were done. Plenty of use as I go down the big hill each drive. Looks good. No concerns.

I got into the front left brake this morning before the honey-do list was presented. I could hear the occasional squeaking again last night. (From the brakes not my Wife ;)) I wanted to have another look. I cannot see any reason for concern. I cleaned up all brake dust with a little brake-clean. I made a minor adjustment. All looks good. I'll try and get to the FR drum within a few days to inspect.

There is about 1800 miles on the engine since I did the valve grind last June. If I recall number 5 &6 valves were in the worst shape. This morning I blew some air in around the spark plug holes then removed them all. I was pretty happy with what I saw. Maybe I am just used to looking at dark two stroke plugs. All my '53 plugs looked light and respectable to me. This hole #6. It had been a dead hole for a long time previous to me fixing it. After a quick clean up with a wire brush I put them back in.

HaTcxUDSqTsdo9EUe3NiNI2qBkMJTpzb8jaEv5wp

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

150 Miles of all hi-way driving today.  My car performed pretty well. Finally I am developing some seat time at hi-way speeds. Well, higher than town speeds anyway for this old 6 cylinder. My car is definitely most comfortable at about 55 mph. I will go faster but feels like it's labouring a little to hard for my liking.  A good mix of 2 lane and four lane driving today with plenty of elevation gains and drops. 

I did notice that when I pulled off the hi-way the car wound not idle. It would just die. It would start up right away again and run just fine while under throttle. It was having nothing to do with idling. It happened multiple times today and I had lots of time to think it through. One might jump right into the carb thinking the idle circuit needs to be looked at. Or fuel delivery. When you stop and think things through a little sometimes it can be something so simple. The last stall occurred as I pulled up to my garage at home. I got out popped the hood.  I thought about the idle screw backing right out maybe. Perhaps it needed adjustment. This what I found:

M0awkqKYbLYDFfNNLigNc3CLYQ5wqA2-x194axrh

My throttle shaft has walked to the left. See the throttle screw at the bottom? It's supposed to be contacting the cast, carb throttle body. Weird how it moved to the left as shown in the photo.  No idle set screw action going on here. Full closure of the throttle valve. I will get in there and see what allowed this to happen and address it.

Today's little cruise involved a couple of local friends. One fellow was in his 1955 Ford Crownline. V8 three on tree. The other friend was in is 1995 Jaguar XJS V12. Was great day for a cruise. This was taken from my drivers seat. Jag is in front of me here.

9x02mYx5tFG6MaqV8SScDX-GI8SsnmfiHAG3ikZL

Here is my friend's 1955 Ford  Crownline. I won't lie, we looked great travelling down the hi-ways together. Similar body styling but his car was a paltry 17 ft or so long.

My Chyrsler is about 19 ft long. :D

O2XXHOS_qL3_xpVkNQCMIYimORLK2F7fmm5kcANf

Edited by keithb7
  • Haha 2

For whatever reason, all I see is a series of numbers and letters in place of the pictures.

That's odd. What about all the other pics I have been posting? Ok? Just the last batch is a problem?

I tried re-posting the pics. Are they showing up now? Thanks.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

That's odd. What about all the other pics I have been posting? Ok? Just the last batch is a problem?

All good. Thanks, glad to have the pics.

All the pics are back.  Glad you were able to find the problem with the carb/linkage/screw etc.  At least we can work on these cars when there's a problem.  One of my newer cars the other day started acting up in the worst way.  It was shifting really hard, then not at all, speedometer not working, and then finally check engine light came on.  It only has 110K.   So how do I react to that?  I drove something reliable to work instead....my Meadowbrook!!  :D

I didn't see the pics at first, but now they are there. I just assumed it was our firewall blocking them.

If you look at your linkage pic you'll see another screw at the top. This is the pinch screw that tightens the linkage arm onto the shaft. It may be slightly loose and allowed the linkage to work its way off the shaft during use. Loosen it more, push it back on, and tighten it up. Good to go...

6 hours ago, keithb7 said:

It’s the same for all the pics in post 41.  But all the others come through ok.  Even the ones I couldn’t see yesterday are there now.  Thanks, Lee

Today I installed a couple of mirrors. I'm not sure I would call these peep-mirrors. They seem bigger than I had expected.  I ordered them and a new gas cap from Bernbaum. The mirror assembly quality? Ehh...Ok. Not awesome.  These are more ornamental than effective. I was silly enough to think I may be able to place these in actual functional locations. That's not easy to accomplish. The triangle vent window needs to clear them so that eliminated a fair length mounting area. You guys all know this I'm sure. I cut my own thicker rubber, and put a piece on each side of mounts to protect my paint. 

I ended up with one mirror up high on the driver's side, as it is effective there. Passenger side down low, allows me to actually see something in the mirror. I don't know. Maybe I put both up high so at least they are in the same location. (And look better?)  Yet then the passenger side is 100% useless to the driver. The mirror seen on my driver's side fender is not stock as far as I can tell. It was on my car when purchased.

1J6ED-N3MzH0I849yb-nBlJIa8Tzn-rJQvtvyzxP

W1TMc9Wyb-mW8Gu449GwvLb4PMZbIiPXRcK-jDCm

Gas cap looks good. But fit? Ehh...Ok as well. As far as I can tell my fill spout is stock. Maybe not. The Bernbaum cap fits but it does not feel like a good strong fit. Maybe my spout has been replaced? I'll get in there and look at the locking thread area. Maybe it needs a tune up with a hammer and punch to realign things.

hBaNCMWpc5H5C_FZxG0nn7nK1Gka8LyDb-zABS_y

Edited by keithb7

• 5 weeks later...

My wife and I at home, just heading out on a cruise. We had some family here visiting recently. We loaded up my Windsor 6 deep. Went for a cruise and ice creme. We had fun. I made sure to drop the tranny into low and come up the big hill home. Stayed cool as a cucumber. ;)

14E43B01-8171-438C-8208-CD6CCADC8B36.jpeg

AD15390D-B15B-46D4-BB7D-11028BEFC0AA.jpeg

• Like 2

Went for about a 75 mile cruise this morning. A little town north of here. Barriere BC. Got up early and headed out. Great run. Kept the tank over ¼ full and no issues. 2 lane hiway. I kept my speed at about 50-55 mph. Was nice with some twisty roads and nice scenery. Sneaking up to the 1,000 mile mark for 2018 cruising. 

That's the North Thompson River seen in the photo. If any of you have been to the Canadian Rockies, the river begins not far from the west side of it's foothills. Not too far from Mount Robson, our tallest here in the Canadian Rockies.

4551636A-6853-4013-82BF-CFDB59F43983.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A local theatre production asked for a few 50’s cars for their big show tonite, Grease. 

The show sold out with a packed house. The big three showed up. 

‘55 Ford Crownline. ‘55 Pontiac  Laurentian and my ‘53 Chrysler. 

B973E0B7-771A-4027-8615-6471F3E50677.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well tonight I finally got stranded due to vapor lock. Only 2 blocks from home mind you, so I'm not sure stranded is correct. 

I had just finished climbing the big hill home. Ambient air is about 87 F here this evening. I turned the corner at the top of the hill to proceed up my street. As I have done so many, many times before. Trouble free.

A neighbour flagged me down and wanted to chat. I stopped and shut the car off. We talked for 10 minutes. The engine was hot after the big hill, the fuel in the fuel line vaporized. No go. I walked home. Waited and hour and went back. Still no go. I jumped in my Ram pick up with a big tow rope and had my wife tag along. I hooked up the rope and my wife played tow truck driver, up the last incline home into our driveway. The car sits outside over-nite tonight in the open drive way to cool off and settle down. I hope its not afraid of coyotes, bears and cougars. All seen here in the neighbourhood this summer. ;) I guess I will take a look at a 6V electric fuel pump.

Edited by keithb7

• 3 weeks later...

No heat shields Worden. I will have to do some research and learn more. I understand their design and function. Was there any in place when my car was new?