We and the Windsor 2018

keithb7

Inspired by @Worden18 and his Meadowbrook thread , I decided that I will host a thread of my 1953 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe this season. I was thinking about why I wanted to do this. Why share my year of travels and interactions in my old Mopar on the internet? I think there are several good reasons. None really more important than any other. Arguably it could summed up as just plain cool. It feels good to know that here at P15-D24, there are many others who share my passion for the old Mopars. We have a lot in common. We have lots to share.  The good folks here care about keeping these old cars running and out on the roads. And if like me, enjoy reading other's adventures. Seeing the sites in another part of the world is fun. Every photo tells a thousand words. I hope there will be lots to show and tell this coming season. I also want to give back a little to this forum. The help I found here is much appreciated. Maybe I can repay you folks a little by giving you a little entertainment.  Here we go....

My car season is anxiously beginning as temps are forecasted to hit 17C (62F) over the next  few days. That'll kick start the big snow melt. My Chrysler is ready to cruise now after a busy winter. We sold our home and moved in the middle of my planned winter car repair schedule. Then we went on a 10 day trip to a much warmer climate. Since I got back home and settled, I've been busting my knuckles getting everything I wanted done to the car before the April 1 deadline. That's when Vintage Car Club Parade is. I'm not sure who's more excited. My 19 yr old son or I, for the cruising season. He's almost found daily out in the garage, sitting in the car making vroom- vroom noises. "Feeling the new brakes and clutch pedal adjustments", he says. 

Tonight my car is jockey'd up in the garage ready to get out. Hopefully the snow on the sides of the roads get knocked back enough this weekend to keep water off the pavement. Then it's go time. Cruising 2018 is but just around the bend here.

xp8bWPeRzOXoL2xR8Rvbq0HMfyVkii5lME_STU1U

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 8

Glad you're starting this type of thread Keith.  Just remember that it doesn't have to be a big cruise, car show, or many miles traveled to post something. Anything and everything is worth writing about, and from our viewpoint, reading about. Going to the market for groceries? Post it. Someone admires your car and tells you a story? Post it.  Car is sitting in the garage because you don't want to drive it in the rain? Post it. It's all good. Looking forward to following your adventures! :)

• Like 1

It would seem that Mother Nature read my post here and decided to remind me...”In like a Lion.”

I woke up to about an 1” of fresh snow this morning. It did warm up enough to melt again later in the day. I tinkered some more on the ‘53 after work then took it out for another evening test drive. Actually there’s nothing left to test. It just sounds like a good excuse to put on another a mile or so. 

My older son, (he’ll be 21 soon) dropped by for visit today. Funny enough, just before dinner. So he ate with us and he followed me out to the garage. When I fired up the ‘53 he grabbed his coat and was hanging around the car with a big grin. Up to this point he’s kept his distance from the ‘53. It intimidates him I think. Can’t say I blame him. My younger son and I spent a big part of last summer uncovering all hidden the problems in the car. The gas station breakdowns. The, barely made-it-home stories. The noises. The little tricks we used to keep it out cruising. We worked through them all while son #1 likely shook his head at us. He’d never asked to drive it and turned down my offers to let him. Leading #2 son to then shake his head. Lol. 

It seems #1 is building confidence. He’s seen the hours I’ve put into repairing the car. The incidents and stories dwindled out by late last summer. Tonight he took up my offer to drive. His first time behind the wheel. He grinned at the big steering wheel. He asked me twice about what to do with the clutch. Park brake? Where? Lol. Loved the huge turning radius. It was fun. More great memories. Big grins all around. 

Back in the garage. Clocks change on Sat nite. It’s comming. 

4D1224D0-411C-4660-8D67-5ADCDEEEA78E.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

The sun was out all day today. I took the opportunity to pull the car out of the garage into the light. First wash of the year. I also installed new seat belts today. 2 point lap belts. Nice dark green colour to match too. I am quite happy with the product from seatbeltsplus.com

Of course we had to cruise my neighbourhood to test the seat belts. All my new neighbours seemed quite happy to see my old car out.  Lots of melting today.

The car sits about 2" lower overall now with the proper stock sized tires installed. I think I want to try and lower the rear end a little to have it either sit flat or a little lower than the front.  Mine is about 1.5" taller at the rear compared to the front. I am thinking I will order a 2" block kit.  In all the original '53 ads I have seen, the rear ends appear a little lower than the front.

6_AeKVsmnngCWqayJ2NWLwEoHaaedHBe-5iawQ1H

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys....

pho·to·gen·ic
ˌfōdəˈjenik/
adjective

1. 1.
    (especially of a person or car) looking attractive in photographs or on film.
    "a photogenic car"
Edited by keithb7

A slight rake looks great also. I like those Chryslers, will be interested to know what kind of open road MPG it gets. I'm going to start a log on my Phoenix Truck. New lifestyle, much less wrenching, much more driving. 

• Like 1

Took "The '53" all the way down the big hill today. To the valley bottom. Put on my new seat belt and put the tranny in low range. I went 15-20 Mph to the bottom. Low range holds 4,000 lbs back pretty good! Not unlike a master cylinder, I need to pump up my confidence in my recent brake overhaul job. 

Time for a visit to the exhaust Doctor. Tail pipe is rusted through in the low spots where water sits I guess. Tail pipe broke off at muffler too. All rusted up. Its all going. New exhaust pipe and muffler from header back. The mechanic is in his 50’s I estimate. I offered to show him how to do the Fluid Torque Drive boogie. He had never seen a F.T.D. Before. He was intrigued. Asked how long it was around for. I could not rightly answer. How long was it around?

The ‘53 will spend the night the shop. I’ll pick it up tomorrow evening. 

One last fearful look as I walk away. Nobody else has turned a wrench on my car since I took possession. :)

1C76DDF5-4504-4F95-94B4-E31BF5A2F5B5.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

You guys were right. So quiet now and no fumes! 

I got the tail pipe bling addressed too at the exhaust shop. I think My car drives as good or better than it ever has tonite. Quiet. Soft ride like a caddy. Good smooth power. Great Brakes. Radials. Full tune up. Valve grind and set. Idles like warm butter. It really feels like a new car.  Very, very happy over here. 

A091A05C-4136-492C-9A8C-A2DF313091B2.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

That's the nicest 53 Windsor I've ever seen! Your'e so lucky to own it!

Wow. Thanks for all the kind words everyone. That means a lot to me. I am very lucky to own it. I am honored to be its caretaker. To keep it looking great and share it with anyone who’s interested. This world needs more great old Mopars on the roads. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

I took the Ol' Emerald out for a Shamrock shake on this fine St. Patrick's Day. I visited a friend who I recently made in my local vintage car club. Toured his shop and property. Lots of neat stuff to see there. A good resource if needed in the future too.

He's got multiple vintage cars and trucks. He has a real knack for digging up original low milage cars. Seen here is is 1975 F250 and 1964 Oldsmobile. Both are survivors. Original with exceptionally clean interiors.

7S2Sdhu_LjS0zvxeqoKZjeS7gskou9CMvxHxOqVm

He's working on an old Essex 1929. Looking mighty fine too.

kEmOFcuUS97QjxuP4JEz-taSDl8-q-NNDOWhnpqn

Stopped on the way home to enjoy the sun and the view for a minute.

sFgtJRTv8kZaKEu4E14x5LDSAw8FwXkRsOua1_IK

• Like 3

Lookin' good Keith!  Glad you had the opportunity to drive your car today.  My poor Meadowbrook is jacked up in the garage with the rear brakes apart (I know you know this LOL).  Guess I better get crackin' if I want to get it back on the road. :P

John

Edited by Worden18

For peace of mind, I jacked up front end today after I got home. I have put 60 miles on the car now since I completed my brakes. I wanted to inspect cylinders for any possible leaks. With all the talk about Chinese rubber seals lately I think I may be developing a little paranoia.

All good behind the front drums. All all visible connections dry throughout. 

• Like 1

A fine day for a cruise to go pick up some building supplies. I may or may not have taken a 40 mile long-cut. ;)

azYmnWECLgyUgSldyRhTd1RCm2lT5J-5ZMOrAkKv

YXX3UJsLsWC3cogDIHG9wc7ioxRGTbhLSsF0BQod

I always stop for a gallon or two on the way back home. It helps prolong the trips out in the car.

HYwKyQ5emTFtw02C6LMLMSeNuAyAXJlk-n_FWfXw

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I found this under the carpet, under the front bench seat of my 53 Windsor recently. The left side upper edge is dated 1969. Unfortunately, a Google search turned up this man's obituary.

BeRVcQWf5w76JgdXcLAWsQctafXrIxIlmlYjC3lx

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

does this mean your car wasn't always green? and wasn't always in Canada?

The Vehicle Registration card I found certainly raises some questions. My car was built in Detroit. I do not know much of it's history. I do not know that it spent its entire life in Canada. Looking at the car, the body, everywhere is green all over. Inside and out. It does not look to me like it was originally Grey. The VIN tag on the firewall, deciphered, tells me it was originally green. However looking at my chassis SN in the doorpost, it seems odd. Someone somewhere on a forum mentioned that it looks off. Like it was possibly a new SN tag installed. My SN on the tag shown does not match the one on the registration card that I found under the seat. Here is my SN:

lj2QfWNdVNF7xBir531FA4DrsR8oDryXrJ99wRKf

I am not convinced the registration card under the seat has any business in my car. I am trying to come up with a story to explain why the registration card may have ended up there. It was under the carpet. Under the seat. I rolled back the carpet when I pulled my floor access panel to pull the pedals and service the master cylinder. That's when I found it. Possibly that car from Massachusetts was a donor, parts car. Gutted and used for parts to restore mine. I have reason to believe my mine was restored in Saskatchewan around the year 2000. Yet the registration card seems to have been placed there. Not fallen in there and buried accidentally.

Here's whats also weird. A 1953 Chrysler is a C-60. Not a C-53 as shown on the card. C-53 is a block SN for an engine. As seen here on my 1953 Windsor block.

UL8gSWA8aXmJ-D8c2taCu_ZiePWHxxFTxByzufwi

So it's certainly confusing. If the original family is ever found, I will offer to send them this card, a memoir of their Father, Uncle, Grandpa. 

If anyone knows how to decipher the C53-804-8220 on the registration card that I found, please chime in. Thanks, Keith 

Edited by keithb7