My first classic

Hickory

So, I have been lurking around since I bought a 49 Chrysler royal back in August. I bought this car for it's beautiful lines, it's condition being upstate New York is nothing but rust, and lastly it's steel of a price. We have been on the fence of a classy chassis or a muscle car. So instead of deciding we got two prodjects, the 49 royal and a 69 Camaro. So now the Chrysler story starts.

To post a picture, you will see a box with a paperclip at the bottom of your dialogue you are composing.

Click on the choose files and select the picture you want to post and drag it to that box. You will have to resize the photo if it is larger than 3MB.

Welcome and lets see your new Chrysler.

Still having issues resizing pics on my phone but here is a start. So I found this car near Lake Ontario the asking price was $650 obo, I offered $500 and left with a title to it. Had it towed home and running in 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Thats a good deal for a running car.

I only see the one pic but it does not look that rusted. Hows the trunk and floor pans?

Like to see some pics of the engine compartment.

Going to try emailing my pics to the tablet to see if resizing my pics would be easier. So back to the car.went through the car to figure out where to go from here. No brakes,typical. Plan on doing a dual master disc brake conversion. Engine ran OK but really stumbled on acceleration. Time for a compression test to assess the condition of the engine. Compression low, between 25-35 psi across the board. Time to pull the head!

Here is a little background on me, I'm in my mid 40s and have been a diesel mechanic for 28 yrs. I specialize in engine and electrical. So l am capable  to do the work myself. I'm not a rich man so if I cut some corners I may have to. My plan is to keep the car safe and mostly original, I say mostly for the people that will say disc's aren't original or what not, but I do want it safe and sexy. I love the forum and the availibility of parts.

18 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

4 doors are not quite in the realm of sexy......but then, that is just my opinion....lol

3 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I do believe that 4 door cars have done more to increase the population than 2 door cars have.

Okay you 2 stick with the 2 door models

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

I do believe that 4 door cars have done more to increase the population than 2 door cars have.

I would credit the automobile for that fact of nature, not the number of doors....:eek:  has only to do with sex..not being sexy

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I don't like the bubble top to a long trunk of a 2 door, I like the 4 doors more. That's my preference  and if some us didn't like the 4 doors then there would be no 2 doors left for you...lol.  besides my 5 kids could be a real pain in a 2 door

• Like 1

never said that there was not a purpose for the 4 door sedan, for the family man there is really no substitute for the ability get the gang from point A to point B with least amount of headache as possible.  Having raised a family I can attest to the fact that hauling goats in the back seat is a more pleasant road trip...they will lay on the floor, regurgitate a cud and be content to the next stop.  

• Haha 1

So back to the talk at hand, in November decided to devise a plan, pulled the front fenders to get  to the engine easier.  Pulled the head off and check it out. The valves are not sealing well and #5 piston land is broken. Complete tear down is now in order

I've pulled the oil pan and the Pistons. Every top ring is broken and #5 piston land is broken, which scored the cylinder wall pretty good. After a lot of measurements a .040 over piston should work.

• Like 2

Unfortunately all my pics on my phone are 5mb or larger. I will keep trying on pics. The plan is sending  the block to the machine shop. Hot tank, .040 over pistons. True up the block, .040 off the head. Polish the crank, crossdrill, and line hone the block. I'm going to replace valve guides perform the valve job assemble and paint everything.  I've already stripped the block. Rebuilt the starter, generator, carburator, and painted the tins. Block and tins will be black and the head will be silver

Why bother with modifying the crank?

These 25" engines when taken care of have no oiling problems or bearing issues.

I've been driving and working on them a long time.

Pistons of high mileage or replacement cheap quality are a problem as are cheap replacement bearings.

• Thanks 1

I've ordered sealed power pistons and rings, fel-pro gaskets, gates water pump. Cam main and rod bearings from andy banbaums along with  oil spring kit, vacuum advance,water distribution tube and freeze plugs from andy also. From stovebolt I got the dual outlet exhaust manifold to replace my cracked one. From classic to current I have rocker panels coming.