Body / Engine Number 42 Dodge

gcarvalho

• 2 years later...
On 3/1/2018 at 11:46 AM, Wiggo said:

Looking at the picture, the gauges would have been where the glove box lock is. The speedo and the clock have been swapped over. I think someone has just taken it to bits and swapped everything from left to right...

1942-dodge-custom2.jpg

Hi guys, how are you?

We restore my 42 Dodge dash. There are no signs of cuts. I still think its a factory right hand exported to Uruguay.

What do you think? Here is a video of it.

• Like 1

It would be an unusual RHD car if the dash was not a factory RHD piece...........my 1940 Dodge and all of the 6 others that I pulled apart over the past 45 yrs had a one piece pressed metall factory RHD dash and the various chrome moldings all have their relevant RHD part numbers that I have confirmed in factory lists......so I'd be prepared to state that your car is a factory RHD car...........tho' its possible that its Plymouth based as a number of RHD factory export cars were built on Plymouth chassis with the plymouth wheelbase.........regards, from Oz.........andyd 

10 hours ago, Andydodge said:

It would be an unusual RHD car if the dash was not a factory RHD piece...........my 1940 Dodge and all of the 6 others that I pulled apart over the past 45 yrs had a one piece pressed metall factory RHD dash and the various chrome moldings all have their relevant RHD part numbers that I have confirmed in factory lists......so I'd be prepared to state that your car is a factory RHD car...........tho' its possible that its Plymouth based as a number of RHD factory export cars were built on Plymouth chassis with the plymouth wheelbase.........regards, from Oz.........andyd 

Thanks Andydodge. Do you have a plymouth/dodge book with  RHD part numbers?

Well.......I have 7 different 1940/41 Parts books for Dodge & Plymouth but the only book I have that covers 1942 is a 1936-1942 Plymouth Master Parts Book which is Plymouth specific and doesn't list any "Dodge" parts although as my car as assembled here in Oz does use a large number of Plymouth parts and these are listed in this 1936-42 Plymouth book as Plymouth parts...............I'm happy to look up anything if you want me to..............as a suggestion..........do you have any of the dash chrome moldings unbolted from the dash at present?...........if so they would normally have a part number cast into the rear of the part................can you post that number here and hopefully someone maybe able to check its use............but I'm happy to help if I can tho' I don't have any specific 1942 Dodge listings or books................regards, Andy Douglas 

BTW.......do you have any pics of the car, especially the front and rear.........does it use parts etc that are recognisable as 1942 Dodge trim, chrome  moldings, tailights, bumpers, etc?.........andyd 

Just now, Andydodge said:

BTW.......do you have any pics of the car, especially the front and rear.........does it use parts etc that are recognisable as 1942 Dodge trim, chrome  moldings, tailights, bumpers, etc?.........andyd 

Thanks Andy, I will look for the dash chrome moldings numbers and publish here.

About the pics, here are some from 2016.

20170309_141302.png

20170309_141414.png

On 2/28/2018 at 11:03 PM, greg g said:

Plymouth body.  Go to the allpar website and search exports.  There is a lot of information there on Detroit built exports, Canadian made exports, as nd knock downs which were chassis, drivetrains and body's which were assembled in the countries they were exported to.  Pretty good section on Central and South America.

That one is not a plymouth body the hood is butterfly and there are no indented body lines below the head lights, that is a pure dodge body nothing on the dash was " swapped " around, also the dash trim and gages are dodge....if it were a plodge the would have looked like a plymouth dash with dodge script. plodge exports made in Canada and pure dodge exports made in USA......must be very rare indeed as USA made so few exports to begin with.

Yep, I agree with Frank.....looks like a proper 1942 Dodge ..........in fact the only 1942 Dodge I have ever seen here in Oz was a 1942 black USA sourced Dodge 4dr sedan that lived in the Flynns Wrecking Yard in Cooma, NSW from the late 60's till maybe 10 yrs ago when I understand it was finally sold to someone to restore.........it was such a well known and unusual car here that it appeared in 2 or 3 magazine articles that were published over that 40 year period...........the lack of any 1942 model cars was primarily due to Oz being at war from September 1939 as was the rest of the British empire.....1940 models were sold here, then 1941 models appear to be mostly Army modified commercial vehicles with a few 4dr sedans which were not common and after that with the US entering the war on December 7th 1941 the US car industry only continued for 2-3 months after Pearl Harbour with minimal auto exports after that date............your car looks to be in good condition..........andyd   

8 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

That one is not a plymouth body the hood is butterfly and there are no indented body lines below the head lights, that is a pure dodge body nothing on the dash was " swapped " around, also the dash trim and gages are dodge....if it were a plodge the would have looked like a plymouth dash with dodge script. plodge exports made in Canada and pure dodge exports made in USA......must be very rare indeed as USA made so few exports to begin with.

Thank a lot Frank,  

I bought this car at 2016 and unfortunately the last owner no longer had the import papers. The car also had no body plate. The last owner found a brazilian transfer document dated from 2007 with the letters "Detroit" at it.

Untitled.png

Edited by gcarvalho
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Yep, I agree with Frank.....looks like a proper 1942 Dodge ..........in fact the only 1942 Dodge I have ever seen here in Oz was a 1942 black USA sourced Dodge 4dr sedan that lived in the Flynns Wrecking Yard in Cooma, NSW from the late 60's till maybe 10 yrs ago when I understand it was finally sold to someone to restore.........it was such a well known and unusual car here that it appeared in 2 or 3 magazine articles that were published over that 40 year period...........the lack of any 1942 model cars was primarily due to Oz being at war from September 1939 as was the rest of the British empire.....1940 models were sold here, then 1941 models appear to be mostly Army modified commercial vehicles with a few 4dr sedans which were not common and after that with the US entering the war on December 7th 1941 the US car industry only continued for 2-3 months after Pearl Harbour with minimal auto exports after that date............your car looks to be in good condition..........andyd   

Thanks Andy. The car is in a really good condition. We are restoring it since 2017. I had to import a lot of parts from USA. Engine, transmission, grille, headlight trim, rocker molding.... Here are some other pics.

_20171228_175846.jpg

Screenshot_20180809-115612.png

Screenshot_20180809-115659.png

Screenshot_20180809-115639.png

5 hours ago, gcarvalho said:

Thank a lot Frank,  

I bought this car at 2016 and unfortunately the last owner no longer had the import papers. The car also had no body plate. The last owner found a brazilian transfer document dated from 2007 with the letters "Detroit" at it.

Untitled.png

I say get under that car and start wire wheeling, flap brushing, sanding........whatever you have to do to find a frame serial number it's got to be there somewhere.

1 minute ago, Frank Elder said:

I say get under that car and start wire wheeling, flap brushing, sanding........whatever you have to do to find a frame serial number it's got to be there somewhere.

42 serial number are at chassis or a plate? If is on chassis, where?

I do believe they're supposed to be one on the frame somewhere and one plate on the a pillar but I do not know where the number is on the frame.I'll bet @RobertKBknows I think somebody said one time that it was on the driver side rear frame behind the wheel but I couldn't tell you for sure it's just a guess sorry I couldn't be more help. what a beautiful car you have I am jealous.

Here is a picture I took of a friends frame from his 41 Plymouth. He switched it out because of damage. This number matched the engine number. Located on the left frame rail above the rear end.13976CBF-CCD5-49A6-90B6-500A64E640DD.jpeg.0c21d2d3994a38f0b0a0fdb1459ad725.jpeg

• Like 1