Newly cleaned and painted engine

tanda62

Finally got the old red paint and grim off my engine and repainted to silver using POR-15 engine enamel.  Painted the valve covers and timing chain cover black and am painting the oil pan black as well to provide some contrast.  Happy with the POR-15 product but we will see what happens once the engine is running again.  Next big job, strip and paint the frame...

Engine on stand Passenger side.gif

Engine block front.gif

Engine block passenger side.gif

• Like 10

the silver will start taking a slight bronze hue...if you have to touch up a year later you'll be able to see the contrast, but a year later it will all match again.  Stuff sticks on well!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cold, but regular Por15 is not true “heat paint” but I think they do sell one, not sure what it’s called.

Ive been told to NEVER spray the stuff, unless it’s a real paint booth and you have a proper fresh air respirator, some horror story going around of a guy who coated his lungs with the stuff and died.

Armchair comando here, I have never used por 15.

I read that it works pretty good on rusty, non clean metal. It bonds well and looks good.

I hear others that have sandblasted their frames clean and applied por 15, and have it peel off in sheets.

If you have a clean motor, you may want to do more research before using that product.

Something else I have read, why some others will not use it. When applied properly, and if you need to come back and weld on your frame, is like cement trying to clean the area to get a good weld .... just not sure you would want that on a engine.

Edited by Los_Control

13 minutes ago, tanda62 said:

I sandblasted my frame and used por-15 and it has bonded well with the metal. No peeling or flaking. On the engine I used por-15 engine enamel and so far it has proved to be good. Just my experience.

Thanks for that. I just remember reading a long thread on the H.A.M.B about por 15, the experiances were all over the place.

Like anything, follow directions and then read them again.

But when it did fail, it created a mess and was more work then needed to fix .... I will use paint myself.

Like gas tank liners, some just love it and never a issue, others follow directions and it falls apart .... I wont use it either.

I was not aware that they even made paint specifically for engines. Sure it has different characteristics then frame paint.

Edited by Los_Control

17 hours ago, tanda62 said:

I sandblasted my frame and used por-15 and it has bonded well with the metal. No peeling or flaking. On the engine I used por-15 engine enamel and so far it has proved to be good. Just my experience.

Looks great. Did you sand blast the frame yourself or have someone do it? I have been looking at the sand blast attachments that work with a pressure  washer and also the pressure pot from HF. Not sure how much I want to invest in the frame cleaning. Mine has no rust, just years of grime. 

I had someone else sand blast the frame - a friend needed a couple of cars blasted so we went into together and shared the cost. It was a portable unit and really did the trick.  It did take quite a bit of tipping and banging on the frame to get the sand out when done.

Today was put on the Cab day and several of my nice neighbors came over and we lifted it up and over the stick shift and into place.  Went well and the many hands (10) made it a lot easier!

Putting the Cab on 02.gif

• Like 2

On 9/22/2018 at 7:01 PM, Los_Control said:

Armchair comando here, I have never used por 15.

I read that it works pretty good on rusty, non clean metal. It bonds well and looks good.

I hear others that have sandblasted their frames clean and applied por 15, and have it peel off in sheets.

If you have a clean motor, you may want to do more research before using that product.

Something else I have read, why some others will not use it. When applied properly, and if you need to come back and weld on your frame, is like cement trying to clean the area to get a good weld .... just not sure you would want that on a engine.

the trick is to get a light surface rust going on the metal first before applying the POR15, using the metal prep and one week delay a nice find rust layer forms and the POR will grab that like no one's business.  Follow the directions and the stuff is armor plating, don't...and it will peel.

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

the trick is to get a light surface rust going on the metal first before applying the POR15, using the metal prep and one week delay a nice find rust layer forms and the POR will grab that like no one's business.  Follow the directions and the stuff is armor plating, don't...and it will peel.

You explain it much better then me, when that stuff grabs, it really does grab .... yet there is that chance that it could fail.

And if it does fail, you really have a job on your hands fixing the failure.

Again I had no idea that por 15 has a specific engine paint out, if it has a chance to fail the same as the frame paint does, myself would steer clear of it.

This is a discussion forum, this is just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Good old fashioned paint seemed to work well for years, easy to work with and easy to repair if have issues.