Radiator update

homebrewer

I picked up the car yesterday. (P15 cpe 350SBC 350TH) with the new Walker Cobra installed. They had trouble installing the radiator because the AC condensor would not fit due to the horn bracket bar being in the way. They had to lower the condensor 2" in order to get the thing to fit. I don't know why Walker says it is a replacement unit. Drove the car around town and on the freeway in 90" weather for about an hour with AC on the whole time. Temp got as high as 200, but mostly stayed in mid 190's. The car is running 15-25 degrees cooler than it was with the recored stock unit, so I guess the money for the radiator was worth it. I was hoping for even cooler temps, but at least I can now drive the car on the hot summer days we have here in the Central Valley. Drove around town for about 10 miles in stop and go traffic with the AC off, and it never got over 180. Car has a 180 thermostat so that was good. I never realized how much heat those AC units create. Anyway, I thought that those of you running V 8s might be interested in this update.

No I haven't tried the 160 All the radiator gurus around here all say 180 is the way to go. They say these motors like to run on the warm side, but when the guage only goes to 212 and the needle is over 200, I get a little antsy. I'm OK with the fact that now I can drive it in the warmer weather with the AC on, but for over a thousand bucks, I guess I expected a little more. I forgot to add I'm running a Spal 3000CFM electric puller fan set to come on a 195 and off at 175. Without the air on she runs right where I would want her, but I was hoping for those same temps with the air on. Oh well, welcome to the world of Hot Rodding.

No I haven't tried the 160 All the radiator gurus around here all say 180 is the way to go. They say these motors like to run on the warm side, but when the guage only goes to 212 and the needle is over 200, I get a little antsy. I'm OK with the fact that now I can drive it in the warmer weather with the AC on, but for over a thousand bucks, I guess I expected a little more. I forgot to add I'm running a Spal 3000CFM electric puller fan set to come on a 195 and off at 175. Without the air on she runs right where I would want her, but I was hoping for those same temps with the air on. Oh well, welcome to the world of Hot Rodding.

Does your Spal 3000CFM electric puller fan come on when ever you turn on the air conditioner? If not it should. How adjustable is the thermostat you use to controll your Spal 3000CFM electric puller fan? Can you drop the fan turn on temperature to 180 same as your radiator thermostat? My guess is this would cool your engine better.

Guest Rex ply 48
Don, The fan comes on whenever the AC is turned on. It has a trinary switch. The Temp cannot be changed from 195 -175. I thought it could, but I was mistaken. The Manufacturer recommends 195 for most V8 applications, so that is why we went with that setup. George

I have one of those Walker Rad. in my 48 p-15 coupe with a 350 TBI and 700r trans. the engine is all stock (91) still using the the fan clutch on it. I run a 160 theromsat in it the temp stays 175 with out the a/c (vintage air) and 190 with air on but when I stop in at a stop light the temp goes to 210 real fast. so far that is all just hope it stays that way. It does get hot here in south Texas

I am using a HAYDEN 3647 fan controller. It is adjustable from 90 degrees F to 210 degrees F. I currently have my fan coming on at 170 degrees F. I also connected the air conditioner (I do not have air conditioning) control wire to a toggle switch so I can manually turn the fan on when ever I feel the urge.

HAYDEN.jpg

haydenther.jpg

manualswitch.jpg

I was running a Maradyne 162 K (2700CFM) previously set to come on a 165, and this new setup seems to run cooler around town and in stop & go traffic. Sometimes on fairly short trips 10 -15 miles, the fan doesn't even come on, because it never gets warm enough to kick in. Of course that is with the AC off. I discovered last nite that the radiator was down about a quart and a half of coolant and they hadn't put any coolant in the overflow reservoir. This might cool it even more. Time will tell. George