wally’s 1948 B1FA-152 thread

wallytoo

been awhile.  updating some info.

the wilson starter that i purchased last summer failed this winter.  so, i got about 4 months out of it.  my recommendation - don't waste your money on a Wilson Starter; poor quality internals used, and i'm out the $265 that i spent on it.  it has an internal "dead short" with a load on it.  on the bench, i can get it to spin just fine attached to a battery and engaging the lever.  in the truck (key no on, no power other than the battery cables), when the starter pedal is pushed, there is a brief partial rotation, and then nothing.  an audible "szzt" occurs.  pull the starter, put on bench, attach battery cables, starter operates.  put back in truck, same thing.  it cannot handle any load (like the load needed to turn the engine rotating mass/internals).

i did reinstall it without any washer shims, and that fit just fine - no binding - but it doesn't won't rotate with a load.

Not sure if the starter you used had a contact like the original. I had a similar issue after rebuilding my starter and the “new” contact that bolts to the top had a dead short due to a slightly oversized hole in the insulator. This caused a slight gap, enough to short to ground when engaging foot lever. I bought (4) new ones from different vendors before I dismantled and found the issue. I made a new insulator and now have full juice going to the starter. Just a thought when I read your post.

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

• 2 weeks later...

i "borrowed" the short oem starter from my '52 b-3-c fluid drive (truck was last on the road in 1988).  installed it in the truck, and it works great.  took the truck to a local "farm days" weekend event.

hadn't driven it for a while because of the starter issue.  one of the rear brake cylinders was leaking a bit.  added fluid, bled brakes, and they work great.  also, not leaking after putting about 70 miles on it in the last 5 days.  seems the rubbers in the cylinders relax with non-use, allowing brake fluid to weep out.  using the brakes seems to "stiifen" the rubber cups a bit, and the leaking stops/slows.  just means i need to keep using it year round ....

2 hours ago, wallytoo said:

i "borrowed" the short oem starter from my '52 b-3-c fluid drive (truck was last on the road in 1988).  installed it in the truck, and it works great.  took the truck to a local "farm days" weekend event.

hadn't driven it for a while because of the starter issue.  one of the rear brake cylinders was leaking a bit.  added fluid, bled brakes, and they work great.  also, not leaking after putting about 70 miles on it in the last 5 days.  seems the rubbers in the cylinders relax with non-use, allowing brake fluid to weep out.  using the brakes seems to "stiifen" the rubber cups a bit, and the leaking stops/slows.  just means i need to keep using it year round ....

During winter I hop in and work the brakes every month JIC!

On 8/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, ggdad1951 said:

During winter I hop in and work the brakes every month JIC!

This keeps the residual pressure up. I try to pump my brakes several times about every two weeks when a vehicle  is unused for a while. 

• 1 month later...

used it today...

loaded using the 2N

PA138693.jpg

"tailgate"

PA138695.jpg

ready to go

PA138696.jpg

home

PA138697.jpg

i'll dump it tomorrow and stack the cordwood in the woodshed.  it's about 1.5 cords.  if i'd filled the truck, it would be about 2 cords.

also filled up with gas, and the tank returned just under 8 mpg, which is pretty good for this old truck.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

no pics this time, but i loaded the last of the cordwood yesterday.  turned out to be just over two cords.  first time i've needed all 8 speeds available (4 & 2) to move a load.  i never use 1 low, and rarely 1 high.  same with 2 high.   but, i needed them all to get it home.  still stops excellent with all  that weight; booster brakes are sweet!  and i split that in two days with a maul.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

light work for the dodge the other day.  i had dropped a big, almost dead maple from near my sap house, and didn't want to let the one decent log go to waste.  so, i used the skidder to hoist the log onto the truck, and transported the log to the mill.  compared to some of the loads i haul with it, this was a piece of cake!

P2129190.jpg

P2129191.jpg

P2129193.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

maple season is a bit early for me this year, but that's our new weather.

collected sap yesterday, and began boiling.  should be drawing off syrup today.

20240303-102846.jpg

20240303-102902.jpg

20240303-143757.jpg

quick video of sap flow from one of the short lines, and pumping to the truck...

sap flow & pumping

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RobertKB said:

Worst thing for an old vehicle is sitting unused. 

Goes for the owner as well?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RobertKB said:

I really like the fact you use your old truck lots. Hauling ice, sap, lumber, etc. Worst thing for an old vehicle is sitting unused. 

good for the truck, and good for me, too.  i always enjoy driving it, especially when hauling something.

• 3 weeks later...