wally’s 1948 B1FA-152 thread

wallytoo

sap season has arrived again.  got the "mobile" tank loaded onto the truck.

image6.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

tomorrow i will collect around 200 to 250 gallons of sap from the woods tanks/barrels, and fire up the evaporator for the first time this spring....pics to follow...

• Like 5

ended up collecting 250 gallons of sap today, and got started boiling.  first, had to take down a tree that broke and was hanging over the driveway...fortunately, i had the correct tool for the job...

P3164698.jpg

P3164699.jpg

then it was time to go collect the sap..first stop - a 55 gallon barrel with a small number of taps feeding it - about 30 gallons today

P3164706.jpg

P3164704.jpg

P3164707.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

How many taps per tree, 3? 

generally, only 1 or 2.  there are about 5 trees in the orchard with 3 taps.  the rest are split pretty evenly between 1 or 2 taps.  somewhere around 110 to 125 taps right now.

i had another orchard that ran about the same number, but i haven't tapped it for about 5 years.

17 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Thanks for letting us ride along! ?

Hey Robert, I rode along after you did.... you got sap all over the seat and the door handles! What the heck? 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

got around to loading some of the hemlock logs that i felled over the winter (hazard trees near my house and shed).  got them onto the dodge via a chain and the '52 8N.

first trip was a load of 8' logs:

20220430-170803.jpg20220430-170755.jpg

took a bit to load them, as the two at each end were very heavy.  the pictures are actually at the destination, a friend's portable mill.  already removed the chains and binders.  unloading was much faster.....i raised the dump body, and off they went...

next load is still in my yard, on the truck, ready to go:

P5015567.jpgP5015566.jpg

i'll deliver these two (10-footers) this week.

• Like 4

It's great to see you work that truck.

I used to use my 2-1/2 tonner almost every week driving hauling all over Seattle back in the 70's/ 80's...

My 4 tonner not as much but plenty in the late 80's/90's...it kinda replaced the other truck.

Now it is just mostly a drive it in the farming valley for fun these days.

Appreciate your pictures of working your truck?

rob - i enjoy every trip i make with the truck.  like you, i bought it to use it.  i enjoy reading about your experiences with the medium and big trucks, as well as seeing the pictures.  your 4-tonner is gorgeous.  i've never seen one out here in new england in person.

wally

• 2 months later...

added a new wilson mfg starter.  the old starter was fine, but it was too long to allow use of the full-flow oil filter assembly that came with my 251 engine.  the wilson starter is ostensibly a replica of the mch6106 prestolite starter.  it fits just fine in the b-series trucks; the bendix lever aligns just fine with the foot pedal starter shaft.

the starter is probably different from oem.  i already voided my warranty, because i wanted to see what the inside looked like.  this one uses helical cut grooves at the end of the starter shaft for the bendix assembly to ride on, whereas the original (at least for my long-nose version) uses straight cut grooves.  the lever shoes inside are probably cheaper, too.  the original brass ones were perhaps 5 times larger than the new ones (i should have taken a picture to show exactly what i'm describing).  bottom line - it works, and allows me to use the full-flow oil filter.

P7155654.jpg

P7155656.jpg

P7155659.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

looks good, curious what it is?

Those ties sure are heavy.

Would be around 1984 I had a 1962 Dodge heavy duty 1 ton, 12' bed. My brother worked for Union Pacific rail road.

He had a opportunity to get some free used ties. His foreman authorized it.

The loading was in a culdesac, where we backed down a gentle slope to a hill. Was very easy to walk right onto the truck to load the ties.

We had the truck loaded pretty good, suspension just starting to squat. Maybe 20-30 10' ties ... Not sure on count.

We strapped the load & pulling out going up the slope. 1rst gear granny, I only gave the slant 6 enough gas to just crawl up the slope without the engine dying.

The truck never moved 1" ....    The drive line twisted in 2 like a tin can.  .... So we unloaded the ties so we could drag my truck home with my brothers 1/2 ton.

I learned that if you have a damaged drive line, with a ding or dent in it, that can happen .... only time I ever seen it.

I have hated rail road ties every since ..... :)

it's a "pit" to work under my vehicles in order to spray them with fluid film for winter rust protection.  drive on, do one half, turn vehicle around, do the other end.  etc.  the space will fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood, so i can use my creeper while spraying.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...