wally’s 1948 B1FA-152 thread

wallytoo

The block on the 49 Chrysler Spitfire 251 in my truck, is tapped 1/4”npt on the oil ports flowing into the canister. I looped a braided line, that I had, into those fittings and put a foot operated starter in place of the solenoid starter. You can get a remote full flow spin-on filter and run flexible lines as you progress. I would also suggest you add a tach and keep the RPM’s higher when pulling heavy loads. It’s just my opinion, but I think low rpm and torque broke that rod. You should be able to run the engine to 3000 or higher before splitting the rear gears and see where the rpm’s are, I would want it 2400 or more with a load on. These are just guesstimates, but I think you get my point.

6 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

The block on the 49 Chrysler Spitfire 251 in my truck, is tapped 1/4”npt on the oil ports flowing into the canister. I looped a braided line, that I had, into those fittings and put a foot operated starter in place of the solenoid starter. You can get a remote full flow spin-on filter and run flexible lines as you progress. I would also suggest you add a tach and keep the RPM’s higher when pulling heavy loads. It’s just my opinion, but I think low rpm and torque broke that rod. You should be able to run the engine to 3000 or higher before splitting the rear gears and see where the rpm’s are, I would want it 2400 or more with a load on. These are just guesstimates, but I think you get my point.

the truck has its original foot op starter.  i have a tach mounted on the steering column.  i typically ran that engine at 2800 to 3200 when hauling, so low lugging didn’t do it.  the #2 rod bearing got oil starved right at the rebuild - might have been a piece of metal or gunk lodged in the gallery/port - who knows?  but it squealed like a pig from early on.  i replaced the bearing two times, but got caught on a longer trip with the heavy load when it really let go.

i am going to look at remote spin-on filters as a solution, just disappointed that the 251 full-flow won’t fit (starter is too long).

got the transmission, pto shaft, and driveshaft installed today.  truck moved around my driveway and yard under its own power!  need to bleed the brakes, but they work with two or three pumps, so just a bit of air.  still need to repair the hard fuel line, and monitor coolant hoses, which seem to have stopped leaking.

it will be on the road by friday, possibly tomorrow if i can get the parts.  fired up!

• Like 3

replaced almost the entire hard fuel line, from the tank to under the left side of the radiator.  had four pinholes in a two-foot section, and other sections were corroded enough that i just replaced them.  also fixed the leak at the pump, both the inlet and outlet fittings were weeping.  just needed a “complete revolution” to halt that.

back on the road!  took it for a quick spin around town.  ran excellent, and i mostly remembered how to split shift the 2-speed.  noticeable power increase from the original 237; this 251 is pretty smooth.  i'd like to see how it runs with the vacuum advance distributor, so i might work on getting that operable to find out.  same battery (kept it on a tender), all the running and brake lights work, dash lights too.  finally!

• Like 4

joined up with some friends yesterday who own more than a dozen 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s trucks.  we did a mini-parade around the lake: a ‘48 ford 1.5 ton COE, a ‘50 ford 1 ton flatbed, and my ‘48 b1f.  both fords sport the flathead v-8, and i’m happy to say that my 251 runs smoother and better than the v-8s.  the coe overheated a bit by boiling off some coolant, and the 1 ton idles pretty roughly.  fortunately, i had a gallon of 50/50 coolant behind my seat for the coe.  and a chain, because the boilover got the distributor and coil all wet.  so i towed it, and after a short pull, it was able to start.  we finished the parade with all trucks running fine.

• Like 2

Congrats on getting him back on the road Wally. 
besides power, is there a noticeable difference in shifting Or stopping  From a touch More vacuum? 

No photos around the lake with your buddies? we really need to work on your photo taking skills ?

noticed on thursday that the master cylinder was leaking a tiny bit, so i placed an order that afternoon with roberts motor parts.  the new big-bore (1-1/2”) master cylinder arrived on saturday afternoon, so i installed it this morning.  took the truck out on a 30 mile ride today, and the brakes are even better than before.

also did two more mini-parades around the lake.  same trucks as yesterday for the first trip plus a ‘41 ford COE.  then an f-6 fifth-wheel cab and a 70s diamond reo with a detroit joined my dodge and the 1-ton ford on the second trip.  all good.  the diamond was toting a single axle equipment hauling trailer of appropriate vintage.  i do have some pics from the second trip, and i’ll add them to this post soon.

here's some photos:

4-A6785-ED-C136-4-C70-8708-956618-B2-BD9

FB29183-A-F817-4-C0-D-94-BF-D161-E503-DF

A0-D24404-D165-4119-AAD7-E6-CED56-FAED9.

Edited by wallytoo
add photos
  • Like 4

adding a pic that shows the knockouts used for a mopar heater (model 61) and fresh air package:

P2190017.jpg

if you look closely, you can see one heater mounting stud nut washer, and the attachment that connects the fresh air tube to the firewall.  i assure you, the large circle is cut out, not just covered by this fitting.

a better pic:

P7122175.jpg

and another:

P7122176.jpg

the fresh air inlet from the grille

PC150012.jpg

view of the fresh air duct and flapper

PC150013.jpg

model 61 heater

PC170016.jpg

defroster ducts, plenum, and heater flappers

PC150011.jpg

defroster plenum workings

PC150010.jpg

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 6:13 PM, wallytoo said:

Great Photo's Wally, that Diamond sure dwarfs the FA...... ( and I respect the "social distancing" the trucks are at, LOL)

what a kick to have so many big trucks near you to do a parade.

this thread makes me smile :)

1 hour ago, Brent B3B said:

Great Photo's Wally, that Diamond sure dwarfs the FA...... ( and I respect the "social distancing" the trucks are at, LOL)

what a kick to have so many big trucks near you to do a parade.

this thread makes me smile :)

it does dwarf mine.  but, my cab is wider!!!

it was fun, when we hit pavement after the gravel section, he really got into the throttle on the diamond and the smoke screen from that detroit was awesome.  absolutely obliterated my view of anything beyond the cab of the diamond.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I can almost hear that "Jimmy" winding up and running through the gears... A very unique sound. He must have it tuned up pretty rich if it was laying down that kind of smoke screen. 

probably.  hasn’t been on the road for at least 5 years.

On 8/16/2020 at 8:13 PM, wallytoo said:

It would be kinda interesting to see a brand new Power Wagon parked next to these two old "big" trucks...had a new 3500 MegaCab parked next to my '01 QuadCab awhile back, and the top of that truck looked a whole head higher than my ride, kinda like these two :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

since my three other vehicles were out of commission (head gasket, transmission, rear cam plug), i had to drive the dodge for work today.  i adjusted the timing a bit to 2* atdc, and it ran much better; cooler, with more power.  put around 60 miles on it with no issues.  glad i got it back on the road, or i would have had to drive the 4runner with the bad transmission...

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

yesterday, hauled the first load since the engine replacement.  same lading as was being hauled when the rod went through the block - manure.  success, dumped it in the spot at my house.

today, hauled a load of mostly oak cordwood.  got it delivered, and about to head back for a second load.  used my 2n to load it.  i’ll get pics for the next load.

• Like 1