Another 230 build thread

tom'sB2B

That front crankshaft pulley felt started in 1953 I believe.I don't think it used on all models of flat head engines.

The backside of the hub/pulley had a stamped steel cup with four prongs that held the felt from turning in the pulley.

The felt rubbed up against the 1/2" flat on the timing cover....it acted as a dust seal.

Felt Seal Crank Pulley1953 and up Mopar Engines.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

Been enjoying the build Tom.

Remember you have a friend across the valley if you break something else and need a tough to find part.

At this point in our friendship, it ain't nothing but "shipping" cost and a cold soda. lol

48D

3 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

Been enjoying the build Tom.

Remember you have a friend across the valley if you break something else and need a tough to find part.

At this point in our friendship, it ain't nothing but "shipping" cost and a cold soda. lol

48D

Thanks Tim.

Look forward to seeing you at the bbq in April!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got it down to the exhaust shop this week. The guy did a great job. Nice and clean. Now I can hear that I need to check the valve clearances. I also noticed that I have a stuck rear brake. It was smoking by the time I got it drug home. 

Oh well. I’m much closer to getting it on the road.

82DE1405-7CEC-4E83-BE98-1FACA9D3FA27.jpeg

A23088B7-8ABA-4D07-AC53-8ED4204C9E39.jpeg

Edited by tom'sB2B
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2018 at 8:19 PM, tom'sB2B said:

Went by the machine shop to check on progress ( they’ve had the block and parts for over two weeks now). They said they had to hot tank the block and spray it out several times to get all the crap out ( no surprise). When in brought the block in, I expressed my concern that I thought it might be cracked. They magnaflux the block and head twice and found no cracks. 

So, that’s good news.

They cylinders will be bored .030

main and rods .010

head shaved .030

block shaved 0.010

B2DF0BD0-A090-4798-A11F-CDE3C06B1AE5.jpeg

I may be doing the same to my 230. What engine shop did you use? I am in central CA too, near Fresno, and the guy who rebuilt my '40 Dodge business coupe, Tex Davis, passed away a few years ago.

I used Marino's Automotive Machine in Watsonville CA. Very happy with their service. Very personable. They allowed me to buy my own parts to reduce prices and allowed me to follow along with the machining process. Not sure if they're too far away for you.

2 hours ago, tom'sB2B said:

I used Marino's Automotive Machine in Watsonville CA. Very happy with their service. Very personable. They allowed me to buy my own parts to reduce prices and allowed me to follow along with the machining process. Not sure if they're too far away for you.

Cool. They are about 2 hrs away...Nice trip to the coast!