"Ol Blue" Build

jmooner3

45 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Who sells the Tank Renu? 

it's a company not a product. You have to get your tank to their nearest shop. I had them do my p15 tank before new ones were available. 

Buy a new one where prices range from a little over $100 to just under $300.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183125821376

Get your tank refurbished somewhere like 

http://www.gas-tank.com or

https://www.gastankrenu.com with prices about $350 and up, depending upon how many holes need fixin'.

How about DIY with Devcon plastic seal putty

http://devconeurope.com/products/metal-filled-epoxies/devcon-plastic-steel-putty-a/

and Redkote?

damred-kotequart.jpg

I'll be curious what you decide?

Edited by FlashBuddy

Lots of good options here thx.  My tank is pretty solid, I spent a day wire brushing every inch and then painted POR over the whole thing. I don't have any swiss cheese holes on this one, the leak on mine is just at the seam where the two halves come together.  With the options listed of refurbing the one I have 300-600 or a brand new repop for under $300 having a hard time not pulling that trigger.  I was considering one of the systems where you slosh around a cleaner, etch, then slosh some material that creates a membrane inside the tank. I thought I had read a post on that where someone tried that and was very unhappy with it, I can't seem to find it again though.  I know folks that have used this type of system on motorcycle tanks with success... One of the posts I found talked about "Tanks Inc." I'm headed there to research next. all input welcome.

I was considering one of the systems where you slosh around a cleaner, etch, then slosh some material that creates a membrane inside the tank. I thought I had read a post on that where someone tried that and was very unhappy with it, I can't seem to find it again though.  I know folks that have used this type of system on motorcycle tanks with success... One of the posts I found talked about "Tanks Inc." I'm headed there to research next. all input welcome.

About twenty years ago I used the tank etch and  sealer sold by Bill Hirsch Auto in my '64 Barracuda and have had no problems to date.  While you may have read of Bill Hirsch's recent passing, Hirsch Auto is still in business.  The sealer is sold as 'Alcohol Resistant".

Good input guys so we have good results with the Bill Hirsch system any others on the redkote...?

any pitfalls or things to avoid if I go this route?  The price is right but the "new" tank is pretty appealing as the process seems pretty straight forward but quite a lot of swinging the tank around three times to strip, etch, and then coat with a good long dry time in between...

http://www.hirschauto.com/AUTOMOTIVE-FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/ARK-01/

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-49239-Auto-Fuel-Repair/dp/B000H9K4K0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1541770445&sr=8-9&keywords=red-kote

Your truck looks great, Have you looked at "tanks are us"

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=349/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd349.htm

I have a 49 and bought a tank and a sending unit from them. They do not list them to fit the 48-50 models, but explained the difference to me.

They bolt the same on the front cross member as the 47's, the rear mount is also a cross member, but on the 48-50 models they moved the cross member back, so the new tanks are to short to reach the rear cross member, you need to make a bracket to mount the rear of the tank.

The 3/4 ton or larger trucks already have this bracket, you could grind the rivets off the frame and re-use the bracket on yours, or if you look at it, would be easier to make a new bracket then grind a old one off.

The other mod needed is a longer rubber hose connector to the fuel fill  tube. The stock one you have will be to short and need to buy one longer. Good idea to replace it anyways if you have not yet done so.

I also ordered a new sending unit with it, they are adjustable and assume will need to be adjusted on initial install, probably do with tank sitting on ground before installing.

My review of the tank is very short, I have opened the box and inspected it, am happy with the quality and appearance, has a nice drain on the bottom, the sending unit looks fine.

Other then that I have it back in the box and waiting to be installed.

• 5 months later...

Hello Guys - I've been busy, got a few updates:

first thing was the gas tank leak. I chose to take the inexpensive route first, I bought a tank refurb kit from Amazon made by POR (ive had great luck with their chassis paint) so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Followed the directions to the letter and put tank back in truck last week. no leaks so far. Truck started up and drove great.  I still need to replace the rear end as Merle suggested in this link, I've got to go find a set of 373s. The engine over heat appears to be good to go following the clean up, machining of head, and new head gasket.  I also replaced my running boards, I had a set that were 4 inches too short and had installed a spacer.  found a set that were about the same too long but bought them anyway, bent them back to shape, chased all threads, cut them down and welded them to size. installed and they look good. Also my truck did not have a rear bumper, I was going to make one out of box steel but decided to cut down and cut the curved ends off my parts truck front bumper, so I shortened it welded it up built a bracket and popped that on today. whatdya think?

Tank_POR.JPG

board3.JPG

Board2 - Copy.JPG

Board1 - Copy.JPG

Bumper1.JPG

Bumper2.JPG

Bumper3.JPG

• Like 7

Thanks guys!  Got a lead on some mahogany wood, rough cut 5/4.  Have to break out my planer and get to milling. Going to get 6 - 8” boards Monday. Old blue is going to have a respectable bed soon.  took a ride Thursday afternoon, ended up coming home late in the rain.  My first night run, lights worked great hi beams even worked nice.  Of course at top speed of 35 it’s hard to overdrive headlights ?

OlBlue night.JPG

Edited by jmooner3
  • Like 1

Hey Mark, agreed rough cut would probably fit my truck better, I have rough cut Oak too, but I skip planed one of the mahogany boards and it's beautiful! Hek boats use Mahogany out in the weather,  I'm a woodworker too so I think I'm going to plane, clean the boards up, and just oil them to let the grain show. I still use it as a truck, if I haul nasty junk maybe I'll put a piece of plywood over it, but each ding ads character ;-).  Whatya think of your running boards reworked, revived, shortened, and in service... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's the update on Ol Blue's journey, I finished the bed this week.  I hauled home some rough cut mahogany,  planed, milled rabbited to accept the metal strips, oiled it and installed....what-dya think?  

Haulin wood1.JPG

Bed Done.JPG

Bed unfinished.JPG

• Like 6