Rear main

dfitch50

Hello

I have a question on the rear main on my 50 plymouth 218.dropped the oil pan to put on new gaskets and change the rear main seal, motors been leaking oil sense I’ve owned the car. The end of the crankshaft where the flywheel is bolted on is dry and clean. Does this mean the rear main is still holding?

76A280E5-7FE0-47B6-89F5-5ADA34757631.jpeg

I would not change that rear seal if everything is as good as it looks in the picture.

Have a real good look at the pan gasket and the pan flange where bolt holes may be distorted due to over tightening.

A little hammer and dolly work will fix this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rear main seal looks like it’s doing it’s jib. Follow the attached link as to installation of the pan gaskets, don’t cut anything.

DrDoctor, Wichita is my hometown, been in Udall ten years, a lot quieter.

dpollo, I had to look up Bucyrus, don’t think I had ever heard of it, now I have. It’s even smaller than Udall.

Whenever I can escape California, I love being at my "real" home in Herington.

I was born and raised in the "little apple", Manhattan.  I even attended KSU...  Good to know of some Kansas folk out there.  Perhaps I can visit some of you?

Bucyrus, Ohio home of the ..Bucyrus Erie steam cranes