1949 Dodge Dually Dump Truck

Mavman427

Hi all, I'm considering buying a 1949 Dodge dually dump truck - see pics below.  I'm not entirely sure exactly what model it is, but from measuring the wheelbase and looking at the door tag and references on this great site, I think its a 1949 B1F-152 or B1H-152.  The model # isn't clear on the door tag, but the serial # traces back to the B1F/B1H.

My question to you is how much do you think this beast weighs?  I have a 7'x16' dual axle car trailer rated at 7000#.  Just eyeballing this truck, I think I'm pretty close, or maybe even above, 7000#.  Lengthwise, I'll definitely be overhanging the back of the trailer a bit.  The rear end and dump ram are absolutely massive.  The frame is very beefy.  The dump bed itself is really more of a light duty flat bed (less than 1/8" wall members) with stake sides, so I'm not thinking there's a lot of weight there. 

What do you think?  I haven't been able to find any good weight tables for these trucks.  Thanks in advance!

IMG_4342_enhanced.jpg

IMG_4343_small.jpg

IMG_4346_small.jpg

I would have no idea what the dump truck weighs but it is going to be too wide for the average car trailer.  A way to lessen this width problem is to measured the outside to outside of the inner rear wheels.  If that number is greater than the width of the trailer then you have problems.

A simpler way to describe this is to remove the outside duals and leave the inside tires-----you might get it on the trailer that way.

18 minutes ago, lonejacklarry said:

I would have no idea what the dump truck weighs but it is going to be too wide for the average car trailer.  A way to lessen this width problem is to measured the outside to outside of the inner rear wheels.  If that number is greater than the width of the trailer then you have problems.

A simpler way to describe this is to remove the outside duals and leave the inside tires-----you might get it on the trailer that way.

Width-wise, my trailer is barely big enough.  Outside width of the duals are just a hair under 84" and trailer is 84" wide.  If I do get in a pinch, taking off the outer tires is a good suggestion.

A similar Chevrolet dump truck (1950) weighs in at just under 7K. So it is going to be close. To be truly accurate, you may need to put it on a scale. I don't know how far you have to trailer the truck, but the weight and length may create an atmosphere where coffee is not necessary. Where I come from, we do things like this all the time. We just yell "hey ya'll watch this" first.

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be doable.  Tow vehicle can tow 9000+ and has all sorts of fancy stuff like trailer sway control, built in brake controller.  Putting new tires on the trailer today, plus a spare.  Only one axle on the trailer has brakes...for this particular haul I wish it had brakes on both axles haha.

I love big trucks! :D

is the price negotiable? if so, offer a little less to rent the proper trailer,

at least in my area, these bigger trucks don't get a lot of activity. IMO, partially because the right person that would be interested, don't have a safe way to get them home.  

when I bought my HH, I offered the guy what he wanted IF, he could get it to me.....

good luck

Another question for you guys.  Do you think the 22.5" rims on the truck are stock?  Do you think they're 1-piece rims or 2-piece widowmaker split rims?  Poking around a little bit, I believe these trucks came with 20" rims (assuming they were split rims).  Maybe somebody has swapped the out with 22.5" 1-piece rims.  I'm having bad visions of a split rim coming apart as I strap the truck down to the trailer or on the road.

2 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I love big trucks! :D

is the price negotiable? if so, offer a little less to rent the proper trailer,

at least in my area, these bigger trucks don't get a lot of activity. IMO, partially because the right person that would be interested, don't have a safe way to get them home.  

when I bought my HH, I offered the guy what he wanted IF, he could get it to me.....

good luck

We agreed on a price and it's pretty low, so I could always rent a trailer or just have a tow truck with a rollback bed go snag it for me.  Would blow a few hundred bucks if not more, but it would sure make the move very easy.

47 minutes ago, Mavman427 said:

I'm having bad visions of a split rim coming apart as I strap the truck down to the trailer or on the road.

Those things, while being dangerous, never just came apart.  Usually, the inflation process was where the danger was and there used to be (and maybe still are) inflation cages.  In the event the thing would come apart, the cage would hold all the pieces from becoming large speeding pieces of metal.

I showed this pic once, a lot of people here did not appreciate it. My uncle sold this truck, the kid drove over from the other side of the state with this trailer.

Actually has the ramps 1/2 way out for the rear wheels to sit on.

He pulled it 400 miles back over the mountain pass to where he was going with no problems. Over 50 mph and would fishtail, he went late at night and slow.

IMG_20161127_121148676_HDR.jpg

12 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I showed this pic once, a lot of people here did not appreciate it. My uncle sold this truck, the kid drove over from the other side of the state with this trailer.

Actually has the ramps 1/2 way out for the rear wheels to sit on.

He pulled it 400 miles back over the mountain pass to where he was going with no problems. Over 50 mph and would fishtail, he went late at night and slow.

IMG_20161127_121148676_HDR.jpg

Now that is taking a little too far, for me anyway haha.  That is unreal.

9 hours ago, Mavman427 said:

Another question for you guys.  Do you think the 22.5" rims on the truck are stock?  Do you think they're 1-piece rims or 2-piece widowmaker split rims?  Poking around a little bit, I believe these trucks came with 20" rims (assuming they were split rims).  Maybe somebody has swapped the out with 22.5" 1-piece rims.  I'm having bad visions of a split rim coming apart as I strap the truck down to the trailer or on the road.

are they 22.5"?  they should be 20".  what do the tires list?  the originals had a lock ring; they were not the problematic split rims like ford used.  if the truck has 22.5" wheels, you'd have to determine whether they use a locking ring or are in fact split rims.

Lock rings on 20" rims is what all medium and heavy duty dodge trucks used thru at least 1955 as also mentioned above.

without spending much time, I blew up the photo you posted, they sure look like tubeless tires to me. IE 22.5

This in my book is considered a upgrade, some may prefer tube type.

But I do not think they even made tubeless 22.5 in that era.

I imagine the speedometer will be off with taller tires, just something to check.

There are so many 1.5 ton dodge trucks in the area  where I live....just rotting in the orchards. I do my best to save them, to give them a place for people to enjoy.

I have several which means I've had a few towed my way. Getting a tow company that has experience is the best of course, and not terribly expensive

considering what can go terribly wrong on the streets if towed incorrectly.

48D

0305001407a[1].jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wallytoo said:

are they 22.5"?  they should be 20".  what do the tires list?  the originals had a lock ring; they were not the problematic split rims like ford used.  if the truck has 22.5" wheels, you'd have to determine whether they use a locking ring or are in fact split rims.

Believe the tires are marked as 22.5R8.  My guess is somebody swapped out the widowmakers for modern rims, which is a good thing.  22.5" wheels are a common heavy duty/big rig size, although tires are a fortune.

The only issue I see with 22.5" wheels and tires is if the tire diameter is much bigger than the 20" wheel and tire.

A huge power loss if so. These trucks are not know for excess power.

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The only issue I see with 22.5" wheels and tires is if the tire diameter is much bigger than the 20" wheel and tire.

A huge power loss if so. These trucks are not know for excess power.

good point.

overall diameter should run from 35 to 38"  max, ie, 8.25x20 is a 36.5" diameter.

I recently discovered the six-lug 20 inch wheels on these Dodge trucks are the same wheel that were used on M35 "Duce and a half" military vehicle.  Fortunately there are plenty of surplus Non Directional Tread (NDT) tires and wheels on the market.

rear rim-small.jpg

wheel-2.jpg

Edited by Prusakowski

Well, I pulled the trigger on the truck and bought it.  Now I'm in the process of upgrading my trailer and figuring out how I'm going to get the rig on the trailer and home safely.  I need to weld on a bunch of D-rings on my trailer to strap it down and am going to fab up a piece of tube steel in the front that will act as a stop so I don't end up driving off the end of the trailer.  If I really get ambitious, I'll fab up a winch mount so I can get it on the trailer even if I can't get her started.  I also got a couple of 3/8" chains and chain binders to give me that extra piece of mind that it will actually stay on the trailer with my straps.

As far as the weight of the truck, the pink slip lists the weight as 5600#.  But, who knows if that included the flat bed, dump ram, etc.  Bottom line is that I'm probably pretty close to the limit on the trailer, but I should be able to do it.

• 1 year later...

The drop center 22.5 rims are out there, not in great quantities, and expensive.   The ability to find 22.5's is great, but not cheap either.  Nothing wrong withe the 20" locking ring rims if they're in good shape, the limitation is finding tires.   Personally, if the truck isn't being used regularly, I'd stay with the bias ply 20" tube tires-they don't deteriorate as quickly as a radial will from sitting.