Auto-Lite Generator Part Numbers (1941 Plymouth)

kklemm

I am attempting to identify a correct Auto-Lite generator for my 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe (P-12).  As I do not have the old one (it's a long story), I researched the specs and determined that it should be an Auto-Lite GDZ-4801-B.  I have been unable to find this model but have found several with the GDZ-4801-A part number and other letters.  Does anyone have a reference explaining what the letter means at the end of the Auto-Lite part number?  Or, even more specifically, the difference between the A and B versions of this generator and whether the A version can be used in this vehicle?  I reviewed several Auto-Lite references posted on this forum but none seem to explain the foregoing.

Thanks!

According to my Autolite Maintenance and Operation Manual (1950),  generators  GDZ-4801, A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H, K,Q,R,T  all share the same specs. Output given is  8V, 35 Amps max, at 2000 RPM max. Regulator is VRP-4001A.  Maybe the letter suffix has something to do with the pulley size or design, possibly the end frames were indexed differently? I have a GDZ-4801-A  I could take some pictures of.

Thanks for your reply.

I think it should be 6V not 8V. Correct?  I am concerned about the pulley size or design of the A model being different from the B model.  I do not have the old one against which to compare it as a prior shop lost the generator on me.  I have located a couple A models for purchase (along with photos).  But, I want to be sure before I purchase the A model that it will work.

Someone told me today that it may have something to do with the date of manufacture.  But, I cannot verify that information either.  I do not know if any of the literature explains what the last letter means.  Hopefully, I will be able to find something.     

The specifications in my repair manual only say a GDZ-4801 without any letter.  An Auto-Lite manual from the time identifies the correct generator for the vehicle as a GDZ-4801-B.   If the pulley may be different in size or design, I am concerned about spending several hundred dollars on a generator that will not work in my car.  So, I would like a reference that explains the difference between the A and B models. 

I found this info on a discussion of military jeep generators, different model but I would assume the letter to have the same meaning. Autolite generator discussion

"The letter designation at the end of the four digit GEG number indicates the PULLEY that was attached to it at the Autolite factory...and the Dodge pulley is a different length which, if used on the jeep, will cause the fan belt to be out of alignment to the crank and water pump! If you found a 5001, 5002 or even a 5101 with NO LETTER at the end of the number that would indicate it was built as a REPLACEMENT without a pulley attached to it at the factory!"

3 hours ago, vintage6t said:

I found this info on a discussion of military jeep generators, different model but I would assume the letter to have the same meaning. Autolite generator discussion

"The letter designation at the end of the four digit GEG number indicates the PULLEY that was attached to it at the Autolite factory...and the Dodge pulley is a different length which, if used on the jeep, will cause the fan belt to be out of alignment to the crank and water pump! If you found a 5001, 5002 or even a 5101 with NO LETTER at the end of the number that would indicate it was built as a REPLACEMENT without a pulley attached to it at the factory!"

So if the pulley is different then could he pull the pulley on his current generator and then put it on the new generator even if it was originall an A but now the generator is a B. So just swap the pully and I would think it would work becsue the spec show allthe same out puts according to my autolite catalog.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

BTW - I have a 41 plymouth as well. I'll try to get the generator number off of it to confirm and maybe a measurement of the pulley for you. 

I also have a stack of generators and Ill see if I have a B that could at least be used as a core. I'll post back later.

17 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

So if the pulley is different then could he pull the pulley on his current generator and then put it on the new generator even if it was originall an A but now the generator is a B. So just swap the pully and I would think it would work becsue the spec show allthe same out puts according to my autolite catalog.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Agreed, seems like the pulley could simply be swapped.

2 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

The problem is he doesn't have the original one ( it's a long story) :)

I checked the number on my 41 and it is a GDZ-4801-A, at least that the tag on the body, the car was restored in 1970's so don't know if it is original or not (most likely it is) but with the proper pulley. The attached picks are of the tag, how it lines up with the other engine pulleys and a measurement from the front pulley edge to the generator end plate edge about 1-5/16".

I also looked through my stack of generators but all newer mostly GGE or something like that and probably from 49/50 Desotos but not sure. 

41 Plymouth Gennie.jpg

Edited by vintage6t

For those of you who may be interested (and to update this post with correct information), I spoke with a Prestolite representative today.  While I do not understand all of the acquisitions and sales that occurred many years ago, Prestolite possesses archival information on the Autolite generators.  He confirmed from the archival information that the difference in the letters at the end of the part number denoted different pulleys.  Specifically, the ODs and IDs of the pulleys on the A and B versions differed enough that I do not believe the A version will work on a 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe P-12 (which the specs indicate requires the B version).

4 hours ago, kklemm said:

For those of you who may be interested (and to update this post with correct information), I spoke with a Prestolite representative today.  While I do not understand all of the acquisitions and sales that occurred many years ago, Prestolite possesses archival information on the Autolite generators.  He confirmed from the archival information that the difference in the letters at the end of the part number denoted different pulleys.  Specifically, the ODs and IDs of the pulleys on the A and B versions differed enough that I do not believe the A version will work on a 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe P-12 (which the specs indicate requires the B version).

Do you have the specific dimensions of the A and B pulleys? I'm obviously running an A on my 41 and want to see if maybe the pulley was changed to a B. Either way it's been on the car for many years and works fine.

Yes, the A version had an OD of 3 1/2  inches and an ID of 2 1/8 inches.  The B version had an OD of 3 3/4 inches and an ID of 2 3/8 inches.  Auto-Lite apparently measure the ID at the bottom of the V groove on the pulley.  I did not see the actual documents but the Prestolite representative related this information to me from drawings in the microfilm archive.

I spoke a little while ago with a generator restorer who had a B version, and he confirmed the measurements above on the pulley.