Roxanne - She don't have to put on the red light.

FlashBuddy

9 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Oh, I like the black with shiny bolts. 

I assume you meant the back bumper? However, looking at his two trucks from this angle, its the first time I've noticed that the cabs have really pretty much stayed the same from the 1930's up to the early 1950's. Could there really be such a slow evolution that the cab is just about what it was, for almost two decades? 

5 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

The red and black one is Ed's '46 Dodge. The other one is an International.

The cabs did change considerably in '48 with the introduction of the B-Series. They got wider for one thing. Then the added rear corner windows (opitonal) for increased visibility.

Thanks Merle yes the green truck is Dads 54 International R110. If you look close you can also see the back end of the 66 Fury Wagon. We were at my sisters house putting those trucks to work!

I've pushed my license pl'hate' under my bumper and will slide it out only prior to the cuffs being slapped on me.True story; When I was 16, I replaced my '65' Comet rear bumper with a painted pan and did not want to ruin the 'look' with a plate. I fabricated a bracket for the plate inside my rear window along with flashlight illumination. A few nights later, the 'law' takes notice! I'm dodging a cop's spotlight but he's just far enough away where I try to lose him around suburban streets. Every corner I hightail around, he's close behind with that damn blinding spotlight in my rearview mirror. Defeated, I pull over and expect the worst. No cop, only my own flashlight that had come loose from the bracket and was slapping around my rear window at every corner. Went legal the next morning. 

IMG_9046 (1).jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 8:26 AM, Merle Coggins said:

The red and black one is Ed's '46 Dodge. The other one is an International.

The cabs did change considerably in '48 with the introduction of the B-Series. They got wider for one thing. Then the added rear corner windows (opitonal) for increased visibility.

While not realizing that the other one was an International, I guess my comment still applies, generally, to all pickup trucks from the late 1930's to the late 1940's/early 1950's. I guess just the basic design of cab & load box doesn't leave much room for innovative or dynamic design differences. ?

• 6 months later...

Had Fort Collin's oldest glass shop, Blacks Glass, use my original windshield plates for templates and provided me with perfect matching new glass pieces. With my wife and son in the cab holding the glass and rubber up to the cab cutout, I managed to use the rope trick to pull the rubber seal over the outside flange. The rope was going to tear my seal in the  corners so I used a plastic piece to coax it along.

20190920074433-db91c1d6-xl.jpg

with new glass I am no longer blinded when driving into a sunrise or sunset. That old glass was so pitted it made for blinding glare when facing into the sun, or headlights on the highway. Also nice was getting the trim pieces cleaned up and repainted.

20190920074431-3c7cb5d0-xl.jpg

Finally getting around to replacing the various rubber bits 'n strips. I found a box of rubber trim pieces on Facebook Marketplace for $200. Negotiated down to $100 ☺️ I was told they should fit a '50 Dodge truck. Also in the box was a new floormat and pad. The floormat was a perfect fit. There also were two rubber pads that fit the toor handles, what looks like rear and corner window seals, window channels et. One long rubber strip looks to be suitable for the door opening in the cab so that will go on next.

20190915070601-2e7dc089-xx.jpg

Notice last owner resprayed onto the door rubber, along with other rubbers here and there.

20190915070611-0661a1ef-xl.jpg

20190915070622-30aa0fad-xl.jpg

Edited by FlashBuddy
  • Like 1

Great tip and video.

For others the video is here >

I looked at a lot of door seals today trying to figure how to glue them on and still just winged it. Masking tape works great at holding them in place while the glue dries. I only did the driver's side so I'll get another chance if I did 'em backwards.

• 5 months later...

Got new rubber seals glued on, awesome. Moving right along, got both the passenger and driver's door glass replaced. Those little clips attaching the glass bottom bracket to the mechanism were a mystery since you can't see them or how they attach, but Alec came over and showed me the light. My box-o-seals had window channel and sweeps - got the channel in but not a fan of the sweeps and may buy new from VPW.

Taking a break but in the meantime found some hand forged tie down hooks for $8 each - pretty stoked.

20200318_161632.jpg

20200318_161608.jpg

Edited by FlashBuddy
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 10:03 PM, FlashBuddy said:

Got new rubber seals glued on, awesome. Moving right along, got both the passenger and driver's door glass replaced. Those little clips attaching the glass bottom bracket to the mechanism were a mystery since you can't see them or how they attach, but Alec came over and showed me the light. My box-o-seals had window channel and sweeps - got the channel in but not a fan of the sweeps and may buy new from VPW.

Taking a break but in the meantime found some hand forged tie down hooks for $8 each - pretty stoked.

20200318_161632.jpg

20200318_161608.jpg

If you don't mind my asking, where'd you find those hooks?!

Brad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlashBuddy said:

Garrett Wade. Looks to be mostly wood working tools.

https://www.garrettwade.com/hand-forged-iron-wall-hooks.html

I ordered the medium sized. Product 89A05.06. They had a promotion where you also get a free utility led flashlight. Be sure to request that :)

Thanks for the link.  Now to decide if I should order or not!

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

Decided against the hand forged wrought iron hooks from Garrett Wade (India). Steve over at VPW hooked me up with the hooks I've only dreamed of.

20200403125944-411e3092.jpg

Ordered an interior kit from Vic's Dodge Garage48-53-HEADLINER-F-1-e1578063719783.jpg

He's doing original style; CNC cut panels covered as in the old days. While I'm very nervous about sag going forward, I did like that I could mix and match colors. Going with grey headliner with brown panels. I saw somebody else had done this and thought it looked nice.

His cost is misleading. While $425.00 sounds like a deal, when you factor in his shipping it get nuts. Good thing I'm rich. Here's the shipping quotes from Vic's in Oregon to me in Fort Collins, Colorado.

92244379_10218431649486848_8297728940147

I've been leary of doing ABS, while I would appreciate the no sag factor, I just don't think I'd like having a plastic interior. I think I'll get better sound insulation with the old school vinyl wrapped boards. Yes, I've added sticky backed foam/aluminum sound deadener sheets up the wazoo. Finger's crossed!
FWIW - Vic is a chatty guy who was incredibly helpful on the phone over a wide range of topics. And did I mention Vic's website has color photos?

That is a good tip. I'll be sure to do that. Vic explained that my living in Colorado would eliminate that issue, which is likely true most of the time, but not all of the time. I'll let 'em dry out then spray on some kind of sealer.

wow those shipping costs are steep, I wonder if there is a Fastenal nearby that would be more economical?  I sent an engine/transmission from my 51 from Waterloo, IA to Kansas somewhere and it was <$200 for shipping, and we all know the weight of the powertrain.  Only downside is there is no tracking nor insurance and it takes ~10 days to ship, but that is anywhere in the US.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2020 at 12:07 PM, FlashBuddy said:

Ordered an interior kit from Vic's Dodge Garage

He's doing original style; CNC cut panels covered as in the old days. While I'm very nervous about sag going forward, I did like that I could mix and match colors. Going with grey headliner with brown panels. I saw somebody else had done this and thought it looked nice.

His cost is misleading. While $425.00 sounds like a deal, when you factor in his shipping it get nuts. Good thing I'm rich. Here's the shipping quotes from Vic's in Oregon to me in Fort Collins, Colorado.

92244379_10218431649486848_8297728940147

Curious what the shipping costs were, I'm 'just down the road' from you,

looks like the attachment is not valid anymore?

1 hour ago, billrigsby said:

Curious what the shipping costs were, I'm 'just down the road' from you,

looks like the attachment is not valid anymore?

Awwww, dangit. I can't find that receipt. I remember Vic sent me a list of shippers and their costs then let me pick one. 

Give Vic a call. He's a chatty helpful fellow.

Phone: (541) 231-2237
Email: email:info@vicsdodgegarage.com

• 1 year later...

Oooooh, long time no edit. Fast forward to January 2023! Got the rust off. All new glass.  Repainted the interior the original gray. Laid down foam backed aluminum insulation. Installed new headliner and kick panels that I purchased from Vic's Dodge Garage; before he retired. Put in the new floormat I had previously scored. Reupholstered the interior.

New-Upholstery-for-Roxanne.jpg

Found a Mopar radio in the junk yard and with the help of a friend rebuilt it; new tubes etc. It actually works!

Mopar-608-Radio-with-Speaker-Restored.jp

While I love the "patina", I'm giving some serious thought to re-doing the bed and painting her black. This will have to wait since I'm currently traveling the country via RV and Roxanne is in storage.

Roxanne-in-Storage-2022-2023.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 7:11 AM, Merle Coggins said:

Go to the hardware store and get a piece of 5/16 key stock. Then either use a Crescent wrench on it, or bend a 90 on one end and make it into a wrench

I know i am way late on commenting, but i found it oddly satisfying that you can use the key stock from the axle to do this job as well.