Building a Garage...Input Appreciated

keithb7

I went with a single 12' wide door  on my 40 x 60....no regrets.

When I built my house 20 some odd years ago, I thought the garage was going to be my shop.

Had a 16 ft garage door along side of an 8 ft garage door.....didn't hold up to what I really needed.

That 8 foot door still bugs me. lol.

My only concern would be this.....if you put the lift in the middle, it cuts down the efficiency of the two other bays.

Maybe consider the furthest stall as the lift area, and leave the other two side by side to increase the "free" area of the building.  

So in conclusion, lol, three 10 foot doors, a car lift bay to the side, and two side by side hang-out areas...oh and at least 30 feet deep.

48D

I took 1 corner in mine  and made a welding /grinding area for smaller removable parts  and  sheeted the walls and ceiling with tin and then put one of those freight curtians, you know the plastics ones that hang down in strips, on a rail so i can move it. it helps control the sparks and debris... also helps on the fire control.

ALSO FIRE EXTINGUISHERS  AND I MEAN MORE THEN 1!!!     

I say  in floor heat  and make the doors wide...  10 is nice

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest led shop lighting as opposed to fluorescent, they give off clean bright light and are cheaper to run. A mechanic friend of mine has recently done the switch over and the results are amazing. The inside of his once dark dingy shop is now like stepping onto the beach on a bright summers day.

https://www.amazon.com/Hykolity-daylight-linkable-fluorescent-equivalent/dp/B01GJVEM4S/ref=sr_1_5?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1515936712&sr=1-5&keywords=led+shop+light

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2018 at 10:01 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

another item I did not see on your list is an air compressor and plumbing the air about the shop with multiple drops.  If this is in your mind, I would suggest a small independent building out and away from the shop to place the compressor so to remove the noise of the away from house and work area...I have mine out back and plumb my air into the building...I have a huge water separator on the output of the compressor and water separators at the four air tap/drops inside the shop with built in drains.   As for the lift, I went with the four post as I can move it about if for some reason I should need to.  As for lighting, I will be moving away from florescent soon and install the LED's....much better light, and hopefully less trouble.  I admit I have had good luck with my fluorescent but prices of tubes is going up and up for any that have any working life to them.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMM ~ sounds like there will be lot`s of florescent lights on the market in the near future ?

only the tubes Chance.....the fixtures will be rewired specific to the operational parameters of the LED tubes....they have made it to Georgia, slightly north of me right now...any day now...will have my first batch in house to wire and checked out to see if they will suit the build.  If so, another 100 tubes to order.

I am also building a shed/garage - 6m x 9m.

This is what I am doing for displaying/storing my tools;

IMG_5154.JPG.52f995a2374fe6796c77c9f5a49a371d.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG.962c4ef6c382b3eef2b9e7112eed153d.JPG

32 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

only the tubes Chance.....the fixtures will be rewired specific to the operational parameters of the LED tubes....they have made it to Georgia, slightly north of me right now...any day now...will have my first batch in house to wire and checked out to see if they will suit the build.  If so, another 100 tubes to order.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM , sounds like there will be a lot of florescent TUBE`s available soon ?

Edited by wayfarerstranger

when I did my shop last summer I had to replace the fixtures as well because the ballasts were the ones built into the ends...couldn't convert them...still have about 12 just sitting out under the lean-to waiting for anew home or recycle day.

the new tubes have arrived...definitely like the looks of the tubes...but....I have been busy making window casings and other trim, painting ceiling and rolling primer on the drywall.  today I am setting two closet doors and trying to make arrangements to go look at a car this weekend.  MY shop lights are suspended on chain from hooks in the ceiling and plug into switched outlets in the ceiling so it is just a matter of unhook them, rewire and hang, plug and play....see how easy that was to say...:lol: