225 slant six change

garyanna2

After thinking about problems with a frame swap i dropped that idea. I thought i would put the jeep 2.55 rear with a 67 Plymouth 225 with a 727 auto. This should get us up to highway speed as all roads here are 65mph. With rustyhope disk up front as well as the jeep rear. If you have any ideas or any suggestions i would like to hear them. What about putting a holly 2 barrel on in place of the stock carb that is on there  I have one in the shop, this might be a time to use it?  I always was a ford guy till now but, friends that had the dusters with the slant and three speeds always impressed  me. I know that these 225's have good torque, and are bullet proof.  

I have an amc 258 engine with a chrysler 904 trans had to move the radiator forward about 4 inches no cutting of the firewall and I love that engine and the 904 is like a baby 727 strong enough for the six and much lighter. works good in a b3b and to me it looks a little more right than a v8 in there. good torque but no race car. Check with the jeep guys and you will see how much they are loved.  Neil

Love the idea of the slant 6, they ooze awesomeness. Good luck with it, sounds like you are on the right track.

Good choice on the rear end and brakes, is several threads here on master cylinder swap.

Rebuild your stock axle, king pins bushings shocks etc, will be a great truck and fun to drive.

I would say a good time to update to 12 volt, might be mandatory with slant 6 starter.

The slant six came out with the super 6, it had a 2 barrel carb, you might want to use the holley, why not.

Please make a effort to find a new home for the stock parts not using, someone will need them somewhere.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. The jeep 258 is a supper engine, out here in western Colorado the Jeep guys go to Moab Ut. A lot of them use the 258 because of its gobs of pull but does not spin the tires like a hoped up rig. Take a special kinda crazy to climb like that.

29 minutes ago, gramps1951 said:

My 258 won't do burnouts but i have taken the truck up to 80 miles an hour and thats plenty fast for a b3b stock suspenion  .

Yours a 108 wb, it's interesting, these old girls in stock maintained form are interesting over about 65 70 MPH.

Now my truck, could use new springs shackles and bushings etc.

Such a basic suspension design, now even if all is preemo, don't think I would want to cruise at 80 mph plus, 70 mph or so would be my target...

Gramps i told you that the tranny was a 727.  It turns out to be a 904 so hope it works out like your swap. When I pull the 218 i will post the tranny and engine if anyone might be interested. The engine runs very well was rebuilt and parked in the same year but my cousin. He told me that he did not put enough miles on to give it a good brake in does not smoke or go though oil. I will try to post pictures of it running send me a line if your interested.

I have new springs and  shackles and shocks and king pins and tie rods and disc brakes and new tires and everything else that moves  the engine is not the weak part of the chain. If I had been in an accident I would be dead meat goes great in a straight line just don't take a corner  too fast.  I like to see what the limits are I have slammed on my brakes when no one was around to see how fast she can stop too. Its good to have an idear what these trucks can and can't do. I do not make a habet of going 80 the wind noise is something else.

Edited by gramps1951

I will never take from the slant 6 being as I have driven and owned many of them in my life and well, have one still yet.   But for the time and trouble, the expense and moving from the line of originality, I cannot think of limiting myself to yet an older technology and limited platform.  The cost for the exchange will be involved and if you wish to up the HP in the process, that will come at a higher price as these parts are also expensive.   I believe the path of least resistance would be the V6 or V8 and will NOT require a substantial amount of aftermarket parts for performance.  But then I also understand to some degree the look of a six over the common V engines.  Just from the money and time aspect, I have to plod forward with my V blinders on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, garyanna2 said:

Gramps i told you that the tranny was a 727.  It turns out to be a 904 so hope it works out like your swap. When I pull the 218 i will post the tranny and engine if anyone might be interested. The engine runs very well was rebuilt and parked in the same year but my cousin. He told me that he did not put enough miles on to give it a good brake in does not smoke or go though oil. I will try to post pictures of it running send me a line if your interested.

The A904 is much lighter and less parasitic loss.

If your 218 is rebuilt why swap if you dont mind me asking....

The little 218 with a mild soup up and rear axle or trans swap you can cruise all day 65 to 70...

I checked with Napa and they have very few parts for the 218.  I wrote a long rant about what and why then it hit me, I always just thought the slant was cool. On our farm we had all types of flatheads even a hudson straight 8. Most of my friends had the old Mopar, Ford, and Chevy's.  Dodge is like Ford both cost a lot to rebuild i was told the rebuild on my 52 was 1000.00. The 225 and the 903 is just whats  I plan on using I do not have the need for speed, i just want to look good when i take Anna to Steamboat for a burger and brew. The three speed is also cool but reminds me of the old oliver we had. I am smiling just thinking about it.

Sure a pile of work for another engine not really roaring with power, I’m with Plymouth...the work is the exact same to go to the magnum V6 or even V8, and then no performance parts are really needed, and lots of parts available 

• Like 1

I'm lost ..."problems with a frame swap"

What frame swap problems??

If you're changing the motor, its possible you're not reducing your problems but increasing them.

If you've never done a swap on a truck like yours ( no idea, just speculation here ) , either frame or motor.....(opinion coming up)

I would say find a completed swap, drive it, and if you like it over the stock set-up, build that.

Nothing wrong with learning from what someone else learnt. (end of opinion, reflection coming next)

it truely does involve "seat time"......I mean, someone could tell me all day long how hard a 98 Viper pulls in second gear in the 1/4 mile......but I tell ya.....

it was better finding out myself ...(reflecting on the joy I felt back in 98)...lol :)

48D

20 hours ago, garyanna2 said:

I checked with Napa and they have very few parts for the 218.  I wrote a long rant about what and why then it hit me, I always just thought the slant was cool. On our farm we had all types of flatheads even a hudson straight 8. Most of my friends had the old Mopar, Ford, and Chevy's.  Dodge is like Ford both cost a lot to rebuild i was told the rebuild on my 52 was 1000.00. The 225 and the 903 is just whats  I plan on using I do not have the need for speed, i just want to look good when i take Anna to Steamboat for a burger and brew. The three speed is also cool but reminds me of the old oliver we had. I am smiling just thinking about it.

If you want super cheap, parts all over the place and an engine most have.

Buy a 350 sbc and turbo 350 trans....

Or a 300 Ford 6 if it wasnt so long

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

As long as your prepared for all the fabrication work, you will loose both your brake and clutch pedals, your emergency brake, and still have to mock up a system for motor mounts, as there is nothing there to work with.

There are no lack of 218 parts, I’m not sure what Napa carries, but there are very few parts you can’t get, including all the internals, gaskets, and water pumps.  You can also get performance parts, or just look for a direct replacement 265 and start out with a few more ponies, without the headache of a swap.  Slants can be cool, but in my opinion swapping an engine in these 48-53 Trucks is a massive job and much more involved then a lot of swaps.

11 hours ago, Shovelhead Dave said:

St. Louis Craigslist has a new dual carb manifold and dual Fenton headers, carbs included for a reasonable price. That would wake up your engine

and someone probably makes an adaptor for the 904 trans. Easier way to go. Type in "flathead" and the ad comes up, in car parts.

While the dual carbs and exhaust will wake things up.

The A904 swap is not cheap or super simple either.

The OP has got some thinking to do in this and we all arefull of advice.....lol

13 hours ago, Shovelhead Dave said:

I agree with the statement of "not cheap" but in no way is it not simpler than what the OP was thinking of doing. 

Adapter plate, fab mounts, some driveshaft changes, ebrake change, route trans cooler lines, Lokar or similar kick down set-up for a A904, shifter, flywheel flexplate etc.

Sometimes dropping in a different engine and trans is by no means that bad.

This swap has a lot of to-dos, and may not be as difficult for the OP.

6 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Adapter plate, fab mounts, some driveshaft changes, ebrake change, route trans cooler lines, Lokar or similar kick down set-up for a A904, shifter, flywheel flexplate etc.

Sometimes dropping in a different engine and trans is by no means that bad.

This swap has a lot of to-dos, and may not be as difficult for the OP.

You are spot on with the work involved but there is nothing that is not normal to ANY swap involving a non stock engine and or trans swap, at least in

my 50 yrs experience. Easiest way is to remain stock, just depends on ones skill levels. Nice truck, if mine, would keep original drivetrain, old Mopar flatheads

are great engines.

Edited by Shovelhead Dave
correct grammar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shovelhead Dave said:

You are spot on with the work involved but there is nothing that is not normal to ANY swap involving a non stock engine and or trans swap, at least in

my 50 yrs experience. Easiest way is to remain stock, just depends on ones skill levels. Nice truck if mine would keep original drivetrain, old Mopar flatheads

are great engines.

These are great engines, and in good running shape are more than up to the task of modern day driving with the right gearing..