Door sills on a 50 plymouth any one ever try to duplacate

seabee1950

thBTXRSAKF (1).jpg

Edited by seabee1950

I bought my car and the door seals were trash and I really feel like we are being held up by a company that is wanting to much for there product. I wondered what else can be used as a replacement. I will be trying a few things myself, and will keep posted.

• Thanks 1

That's a good look, I have though about that and they could be powder coated in any color, on the carpet side did you just put the aluminum sill over the carpet and it holds the carpet ok  Thanks for taking time to post your reply.

I have a '52 Dodge Wayfarer and I went to Lowes and got an 8 ft. piece of vinyl screen tight used to trim 4x4 porch posts.. I got the 3.5 in.wide section. You get base piece and snap on top piece. I trimmed it to fit and works fine. Doesn't look close to original, but covers rough rocker  and looks somewhat finished. Cost about $12, so not a disaster if you don't like it. 

Bob

My carpet does not run up over that lip in the door jamb. The carpet is separate and is glued down,the sill plate is also separate. Remember to make a template of both sides as they can vary, mine did. They are also tapered and it is important to get them flush with the inner door jamb.

Thanks I have seen a lot of sills that hold the carpet down with there sill, but also glue is fine, but what about if you need to get to the master cylinder. I will take all the help I can get as I will not be held up by this place that sells these for much much to much money. I like my car and I think it will be the best work on an old car I have ever done, because I have nothing but time to get it right, but over 400 bucks and if it were a 4 Door it would be more like over 800 to me that gouging and we all know the best of these cars will only bring in the twenty's if that.  If it were a Chevy that as you may know bring higher  dollars but these are not, and don't miss understand me, my love for these old Plymouths. So with that said I want to see if I can come close to the original sill by using fiberglass, might not work but I am going to try it.

If you are going to replicate the sills in fiberglass, they will have to be finished to a very thin thickness to fit under the door. Another thing is................glass will be highly susceptible to cracking because it will be pretty brittle due to being thin.

I understand your reasoning for wanting to try and make them but fiberglass may not be a viable source of materials.

You can get 1/8" aluminum or any other metal at your local Home Depot or Lowes and metal won't crack if you step on it like fiberglass will.