Power Steering Idea

59bisquik

I know the pics are not of a Dodge, but there is one in the pics! Anyways, I am installing electric power steering on my sand rail and got to thinking how well this might work for the trucks. Its originally from a GM SUV and comes in a 220 watt (23ftlb) and a larger 400 watt (60ftlb) unit is available. It has the ECM, harness and a total of 3 wires to hook up. I was thinking this might be able to be hidden under the dash or definitely right above the steering box under the hood. Eliminates pumps, belts, hoses and such and could make for a pretty clean install. 

I have all new steering in my truck but parking lots and such can still be a bear. I might just try this after the hemi and 5 speed are finally in.

IMG_2118.JPG

body11_zps07d3581c.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik

@59bisquik Very interesting.  We have a 1941 ton and a half dump truck.  The 60 foot pound version would certainly ease the burden.  This baby steers hard.  Not sure what will happen when I get a load on her! Even with load no way can you turn the wheel until it is moving.  If you would be so kind, please give us some year make and mod l info so we can look this up in junkyard or parts supply????  Thanks much! Duf

82403917-22F8-4B9E-B733-62129834ACB4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 5:56 PM, 59bisquik said:

I know the pics are not of a Dodge, but there is one in the pics! Anyways, I am installing electric power steering on my sand rail and got to thinking how well this might work for the trucks. Its originally from a GM SUV and comes in a 220 watt (23ftlb) and a larger 400 watt (60ftlb) unit is available. It has the ECM, harness and a total of 3 wires to hook up. I was thinking this might be able to be hidden under the dash or definitely right above the steering box under the hood. Eliminates pumps, belts, hoses and such and could make for a pretty clean install. 

I have all new steering in my truck but parking lots and such can still be a bear. I might just try this after the hemi and 5 speed are finally in.

IMG_2118.JPG

body11_zps07d3581c.jpg

I saw an electric power assist on an old power wagon in the area...made me think...

The 220 watt models are I believe on the Saturn Vue and Chevy Equinox. If you check eBay for “universal electric power steering kit” you will see the standard units. 

As for the 400 watt model, that might take some more research. I found it aftermarket at Kartek but obviously it doesn’t list the original application. Also, they are very proud of their version so the research might pay off.

As a side note, the 220 model says its good up to 35” tires. Also a manual rack Buggy in soft sand can take a lot of arm power. Also thing of even a basic  SUV with the engine shut off and no assist. I might not dismiss the 220 right off the bat. They seem really easy to get and might be worth the shot.

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Haha 1

Speaking of power steering setups for these old trucks..... as I was out playing with some other vintage iron (tractors) not too long ago... the thought occurred to me.. I wonder if anyone has used a Behlen power steering setup on these old trucks. Plenty of old tractors running around with these add on systems installed into the existing steering columns.

a8380.jpg

• Like 1

Hard truck steering?

Improve the caster angle on the I-beam. The the kingpin is leaning too far to the back. It will make the steering on turns lighter.

Don't over do it though!

• Like 1

I considered that option before I went with the rack route, the issue is, no real room under the dash or between firewall and steering box to fit one of those units, and my friends that work in dealerships have said those do tend to give a lot of issues...maybe not the Saturn model as much tho..

• Like 1

No, mine was a 1 ton, and I basically converted it to a 1/2 ton before the swap.  I don't think you will find any rack strong enough for that truck.  If it's was me, I would look into a bigger truck power steering box, but the worst part is, finding one that is rear steer.  

• Like 1

You'd be amazed how little room you have to work with in both locations, especially under the dash, as you have only one spot to mount the actual steering column too...not saying it can't be done, but I have it a lot of thought and measure before I went my route...what we really need to find as a group is a power steering box that would work with rear steer...if I ever do, I'll go back to a box, rather then my rack.

I finally got all the parts in the mail to finish the linkage today and then welded and wired her up. Its probably 50% less effort than before and absolutely silent. I will be actually testing it out in the sand right after Christmas and can then give a better review besides driving it around the neighborhood. 

However, for the truck and those who might be interested in trying this upgrade. I would probably do a bit more research and find the 400W model due to how heavy the steering is in our trucks. Especially those of us with wider tires.

• 1 year later...

I just converted to power steering using a pump, bracket, gear and pitman arm from a 93 jeep wrangler yj. Ultra simple conversion. only had to purchase new hoses, a double pulley for the pump and a u-joint for the steering shaft.  Used complete yj steering setups are readily available and cheap. Two of the frame holes matched the gear exactly and very simple fabrication required to utilize the third and the pitman arm. Small amount of bracket casting must be ground away to mount using one water pump bolt. If you are interested in pics reply or email me and I will send pics and further installation instructions. Steers perfectly with no play.

Regards,

Styles

stylesadamson@gmail.com

1 hour ago, stylesadamson said:

I just converted to power steering using a pump, bracket, gear and pitman arm from a 93 jeep wrangler yj. Ultra simple conversion. only had to purchase new hoses, a double pulley for the pump and a u-joint for the steering shaft.  Used complete yj steering setups are readily available and cheap. Two of the frame holes matched the gear exactly and very simple fabrication required to utilize the third and the pitman arm. Small amount of bracket casting must be ground away to mount using one water pump bolt. If you are interested in pics reply or email me and I will send pics and further installation instructions. Steers perfectly with no play.

Regards,

Styles

stylesadamson@gmail.com

Yes please!!!

Go ahead and flex those muscles. I think you're safe, anyway.. Unless someone is already in West Texas it takes a week to get there!! And that's starting from Dallas!?

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I dunno, real men use strong arm steering.

Maybe can create a separate forum page for those that use power steering?

OMG I better run fast and far now   :D

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I dunno, real men use strong arm steering.

Maybe can create a separate forum page for those that use power steering?

OMG I better run fast and far now   :D

some guys also use their forehead to pound in nails....doesn’t mean the rest of us that found the hammer are doing it the wrong way ?

be great to see the YJ set-up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here is what I started with. The jeep is front steer so the pitman arm points to the rear of the vehicle. The b3b being rear steer... reorienting the pitman arm 180 to face the front makes the gear rotation proper for our rear steer.

yjps.jpg.6d601d23f41ff0a2ab29a1b29b4314d2.jpg

This pic shows the portion of the pump bracket ground off to allow mounting using the water pump bolt.

IMG_1455.jpg.f9b11e4733374d694a9bf3451967df6c.jpg

Here is the bracket installed. I used a couple of angle brackets that I had to secure the bracket to one head bolt.

IMG_1432.jpg.80c7fba372bc2794fd313f15e1245bca.jpg

Here is the double pulley that replaced the serpentine pulley to run the alternator.

IMG_1433.jpg.3312825079a3b978ae35cbe11fc03ed2.jpg

I cut the steering column and shaft just above the gear...removed the shaft then cut the column just below the shift linkage on the column. I will probably replace the column when I install the T5 that is next on my list. My plan was to use the original shaft as I believed it to be .75" prior to removal but discovered it is actually .780 requiring turning it down or drilling out the .75 u-joint so I just replaced the steering shaft with a solid .75" from Speedway...$20 as I recall. The u-joint is 3/4 30 x 3/4 round and I welded it onto the shaft. I used the Borgeson u-joint because at 3.25" long it fits perfectly between the gear and the cut column allowing preservation of the shift linkage.

IMG_1442.jpg.6f0fc2211e63740a51e02758efd90ad4.jpg

The three original holes are used for the gear.

IMG_1448.jpg.3b65cc3966cdb11c3d5a09e25374e9a2.jpg

The top 2 holes line up with the gear perfectly however the front one requires a 1/2" spacer between the frame mounting bracket and the gear. I made one from 1/2" bar stock. The bottom rear bolt hole on the gear is secured to the frame using 1/2" x 1" wide bar stock pic'ed below. Bolt through frame into bar stock...gear bolted to bar stock.

IMG_1446.jpg.e5303cec7d697595c786be83174efa53.jpg

I heated and bent the drag link end of pitman using a press to get the proper angle and ground out the proper beveled bore for the drag link. Plenty of material.

IMG_1444.jpg.2172e91532880b4662282d5869a4aa21.jpg

New reservoir and hoses.

IMG_1441.jpg.1e60264bd02c1df3dc8b0adbb1fd4267.jpg

Alternator adjustment arm (I already had this curved one but there are plenty longer curved ones out there that would work) attached to the top pivot bolt on the pump bracket.

IMG_1437.jpg.d3b15bd2cb22b8618a0bf3d63d529939.jpg

Belt sizes 50" and 26"

Secured the lower column with cheap bracket. This will change after T5 install.

Here is the truck.

IMG_1132.jpg.b5ffda514ce90bcdd11f9b95ce74498d.jpg

Regards,

Styles