D-24 Wheel Options

fhubler

Does anyone know of any published wheel options for the 1946-48 cars?  As I was watching a documentary about the reconstruction of Europe filmed just after the war I noticed a business coupe in Italy with wheels painted the same as the original spare wheel of our '48 Town Sedan.  I wonder if the red wheel with white pin stripes was common on black cars?  Was this a standard color with a standard hub cap & either wide or narrow trim rings optional?  Where trim rings standard on any models? 

Forum Italian Coupe 2.jpg

Forum Italian Coupe.jpg

I do not know of any published material on this subject  but I do know that trucks of this era were delivered with wheels that were cream colored or red .

My  medium blue 40 Plymouth has  wheel centers that match the body and have the pin striping but the rim is dark blue to match the fenders which were painted at the dealership (in 1940)   to resemble the two tone which was available on the Dodge.

In any case, changing the wheel colour is a quick and easy way to make a car stand out.  Maybe a spare wheel was a different color to indicate its status as a spare only  but I have never heard of this.  The operators manuals of the day all have diagrams showing 5 wheel tire rotation.    Interesting.

• 3 years later...

My D14 has black rims with factory red pinstripes still intact. The original paint and pin stripe are still in great shape, preserved for decades under a coat of poorly applied black finish that was easily stripped off with a gun wash damp cloth since the original was left un sanded. My esteemed paint expert will preserve the original details on the wheel centre, and re finish the remaining areas of the 5 wheels. I will be using black wall tires to emphasize the preserved wheel centre. I feel that I have really lucked out having this original detail remain since the wheels are usually the first to end up with a finish that is beat. 1st time lucky for someone else’s bad paint job! M