Steering Wheel Interchange

johnsartain

I am looking for information on what steering wheels will interchange with my 1950 B2B.  A guy has a steering wheel with a chrome horn ring. All he can tell me is the wheel came from a 50ish Dodge pickup. What information can anyone give me on this?

Image may contain: indoor

What a timely thread as I have been playing with steering wheels today.

I received my steering wheel horn ring back from my Chromer yesterday, and only today fitted it with my recently obtained horn ring button (thanks again ggdad1951). I found that the trucks here in Oz seemed to progress from the steering wheel with the closer 'Y' spokes to those with a wider 'Y' spokes within the steering wheel ring. Our Oz trucks 48-52 seem to been fitted with part # 1272165 with the closer spokes, and the horn ring (part # 1272411) was a match for that steering wheel.

Our Oz trucks from 53 seem to have been fitted with steering wheel (part # 1195035), and our 'coupe' trucks even had their steering wheel painted white! So, I have had to find an older steering wheel down at my shed and will now clean it up to fit on my 53 coupe truck as I reckon it will look better with a horn ring attached.

I'm not sure what you guys did over the other side of the pond... but that steering wheel which you have shown in the above picture would be a match for a 48-52 truck here in Oz.

If you do happen to buy that steering wheel and horn ring from your friend John, the straight spoke in the steering wheel center is said to be positioned to the top so as not to block view of your speedo when driving.

Horn ring.JPG

Horn ring2.JPG

53 truck steering wheel2.JPG

I do not like the Y  steering wheel because i think it conflicts with the horizontal lines of the dash, so I replaced the top spline with a car spline and now use this wheel. Personal choice I know. Now my speedometer is fully visible. 

IMG_7877.JPG

12 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

That looks more like a B3 or B4 steering wheel. The B1's and B2's didn't have a horn ring, just a center button for the horn. 

However, that being said, it would probably fit your B2B without any problems. 

Thanks, Merle, that's what I was needing to know. I had heard there was some issues about splines/no splines, and size there of. I think I'll go ahead and get it then. There are a few cracks here and there. It has to have mine beat, nothing left but the wire in the center. How does the horn ring come of it? for whatever reason the guy sawed it off the steering column.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, johnsartain said:

Thanks, Merle, that's what I was needing to know. I had heard there was some issues about splines/no splines, and size there of. I think I'll go ahead and get it then. There are a few cracks here and there. It has to have mine beat, nothing left but the wire in the center. How does the horn ring come of it? for whatever reason the guy sawed it off the steering column.

If you don't end up needing the horn ring and steering wheelI could use it on my truck. As I have the same wheel and a broken horn.

You should check the opening dimensions in the splined area.   The wheels from the larger trucks (2 tons and up) will not fit on the shaft of the smaller trucks.  I had a real nice wheel with a horn ring that I wanted to put on my 2.5 ton.   The dimension of the outside of the wheel was the same as the original 3 spoke (center button) style, but it wouldn't fit on the shaft.