D24 Styling

fhubler

I know aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, so I hope this topic does not generate more heat than light.  My taste in many things is very "eclectic", says my lovely wife. From that perspective, it appears as though the D24 series Dodges have something very special going for them in the styling department.  Maybe someone out there with some professional art/design knowledge can share some deeper understanding of what makes this car so appealing to so many.  I have always secretly admired these cars from afar and now that we own one, it seems that everyone who sees it expresses a great deal of admiration for the overall design and the finer details as well.  The styling certainly isn't polarizing - it seems like people either love it, or love it more.  As I go over this thing with a fine tooth comb, cleaning & polishing everything, it just becomes more impressive.  Even with the hood open, it's not ugly.  What do you all think?

Forum Styling 1.jpg

• Like 1

I think that since "D-24" is one of the site logos,that you are going to find very few people here who will disagree with you on that one.

• Like 1

the previous model, the D19  has it all over the D24 in grille, bumpers and front fenders.  However, the D24 has the most stylish dash of any car of the 40's as an owner of both models, this is about as unbiased as I can get...it has always been pretty much the trend for Dodge to have better stying cues...but the P15 grille has it all over the HVAC filter grid that is the D24 grille

Ranger, I have a few albums up of our '48 Town Sedan in the Gallery.  I have some options/accessories photos yet to send up...

Adams, its funny you should mention the D24 grille.  I work with a guy who was an HVAC tech for 20+ years & the first thing he said was, "I just LOVE that grille!" :wub:

One thing that I've noticed in comparing the D19, 22 & 24 is that the centerline of the headlights is level with the top of the grille on the D24 with the parking light bezels extending out from the bottom of the grille under the headlights giving the impression of a lower, wider stance.  That & the front fender line extending into the door making the car appear longer than it is combine to give the effect of that classic long hood, short deck silhouette.  I have to smile every time I open the door to get in the car & see that big, fat fender ooze down over the wheel & into the door.  It looks like the whole car is going to melt into the ground. :)

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the previous model, the D19  has it all over the D24 in grille, bumpers and front fenders.  However, the D24 has the most stylish dash of any car of the 40's as an owner of both models, this is about as unbiased as I can get...it has always been pretty much the trend for Dodge to have better stying cues...but the P15 grille has it all over the HVAC filter grid that is the D24 grille

I agree 100% on the dash.  It is a genuine work of art in every detail.  I often catch myself drifting off of the road because I was admiring the dash while I'm supposed to be paying attention.  It's like the dating days all over again.:rolleyes:

Forum Modified 1.png

Forum Dash Light.jpg

I've heard it referred to as an "egg crate" grill.  I've always been keen on the styling of '30s and 40's cars and trucks in general, body lines, long hoods, huge fenders, et al..  When we were in the market for an old car to go with our '52 Ford F3 many moons ago we weren't set on any particular car make or model, other than wanting a four-door.  We looked over many cars in west Texas and southern New Mexico and kept getting drawn back to a car in the back of a lot in San Elizario, TX because of that grill and those fenders flowing into the doors. We didn't even know what make it was, the lot was fenced in and always closed. We finally found it open one day, and once we saw that dash, that it had suicide rear doors and a clamshell hood, and saw that it ran and was "drivable", we bought it on the spot....and it was a heap!  So we bought our D24 for the styling, not brand loyalty or bias.  I was relieved that it was a Dodge, since that meant parts would be easier to find.  Haven't looked back.  It always draws a bigger crowd than you'd think a "plain old Dodge" would, and folks are surprised that it is "just a Dodge".  I've since grown rather fond of the post war MoPars, and while there are components of the car I don't relish working on, there's no part of the car that I dislike the styling of.    

• Like 2

On 11/15/2017 at 5:41 PM, fhubler said:

I know aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, so I hope this topic does not generate more heat than light.  My taste in many things is very "eclectic", says my lovely wife. From that perspective, it appears as though the D24 series Dodges have something very special going for them in the styling department.  Maybe someone out there with some professional art/design knowledge can share some deeper understanding of what makes this car so appealing to so many.  I have always secretly admired these cars from afar and now that we own one, it seems that everyone who sees it expresses a great deal of admiration for the overall design and the finer details as well.  The styling certainly isn't polarizing - it seems like people either love it, or love it more.  As I go over this thing with a fine tooth comb, cleaning & polishing everything, it just becomes more impressive.  Even with the hood open, it's not ugly.  What do you all think?

Forum Styling 1.jpg

In that pic shes sayin let’s fly down the road daddy. 

It took a loooooong time to explain that one to my wife... but she is legally blond.:huh:

7 hours ago, grady hawkins said:

I note on the bottom of the emblem on my D-24 the letters U.S.A. are printed

Not sure of the history why but I like it!

I just noticed that on mine, now that you mention it... and I noticed that my transmission fill plug has "US" stamped on it...

I've always loved the hubcaps on these cars as well.  I like the little ridges in the "DODGE" script on the center cap (the red paint is worn off of this one) & I like the wide outer rings in chrome with white walls or in white with black walls.  The thin outer trim ring with pin stripes on the wheel looks really good as too.  Another well thought out feature of the car...

Forum Hub Cap.jpg

I think I'll paint the DODGE script background to match the wheel ;)

This is the spare that came with the car.  When I purchased it from the original owner's grandson, he told me that his grandfather said this was the original spare with the last remaining original tire (never been off of the rim).  The back is black and the front it red with white pin stripes.  Would the wheel have come from the factory like this, or would these be a dealer option?  He said the car was a "dealer demonstrator".  His grandfather purchased it Oct. 29, 1948 with a few thousand miles on it.

Forum Jack 3.jpg

Forum Jack 1.jpg