Newly Acquired 1947 Dodge Special Deluxe!

saiers

I just purchased this time capsule 1947 Dodge Deluxe from the 90 year old son of the original owner and I thought I'd share. Original paint should polish up with great patina and the original interior is nearly immaculate. There is no wear on any part of this interior. No rust. All there, with rear fenders and some trim, etc started to be removed many years ago. We still can't find the bumpers (which they had re-chromed) but they might still be lurking. If they are not, anyone have a lead on them? This is a Canadian Plodge. 

Thankfully, the engine is free with clean oil and they were wise enough to remove the gas tank and rad and clean them out many years ago to avoid fouling.

Pictures in the links below:

http://i66.tinypic.com/2h5k70h.jpg[/IMG]

http://i67.tinypic.com/v4896c.jpg[/IMG]

http://i65.tinypic.com/655u9t.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by saiers
  • Like 4

Congratulations.   The bumpers from a Plymouth  both Canada and USA will fit if you have the irons .

There are some differences as noted in a later post.

Edited by dpollo
error

Gorgeous car!  You must feel like a kid on Christmas morning!

Thanks for the kind comments and thanks for helping to post the pictures to the thread.

I take possession on the weekend. It's nice too, because I bought it without paperwork and then the previous owner found all the manuals, invoices and registration the other day!

I will post pictures to this thread as I put it back together. I am going to perform a sympathetic restoration on it and preserve as much of the originality of this car as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The car is home with me, and after a few hours of polishing you can see the original paint is going to shine up nicely!

IMG_0210.jpg

• Like 1

Is the garage for your car your homes garage??

:rolleyes:, just wishful I think for me!

Build a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom- DONE!  :lol:

DJ

Yeah, it's my underground garage beneath my house. I have 25 parking spots for myself and guests.

Okay, I lie. It's an apartment :P

Its hard to beat the feeling you get from polishing out original paint:wub:

Ya never know what people have.

I once rented a 60 foot aerial lift for a house project for the developers  (very  exclusive  development in the No. Ca. bay area) house for himself. Had a three story high in house water feature that the water ran outside into his pool the down the hill to other water features,  there was also a 13 bay double deep garage for the collector cars he owned and drove! under the two  tennis courts! above it.

This house sat on the highest hill in this project (over 1500 + homes) and named was Eagles Nest. only 3 homes where ever built on this hill!

Oh, by the way he owned the Seattle Seahawks at the time and built a Museum (nearby) for his other cars in his collection!

So it could be someones garage.

DJ

On 11/14/2017 at 3:42 AM, dpollo said:

Congratulations.   The bumpers are the same as Plymouth   both Canada and USA.

Actually, D25 bumpers and gravel pans are different to those on the P15 Plymouth.
I posted some pictures and info on this thread, below.
Best of luck with the Dodge. NIce find!

• 1 month later...

Been quietly cleaning up and putting together my Canadian 49 Dodge and super happy with how good everything is on it. No rust-through anywhere and even the underbody still has black paint covering it. It's been inside all its life, and it shows.

Attached are a few pictures of the work done so far. I'm leaving the grille off until I get the radiator installed. It and the gas tank had been pulled, dried and stored before the car was put away in the 1960's.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

I'm in regular contact with the 90 year old fellow I bought it from. He used it on his wedding in 1950 and has described how every blemish it carries came to be. I'm going to get it running and driving safely and enjoy it as is.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, saiers said:

I'm in regular contact with the 90 year old fellow I bought it from. He used it on his wedding in 1950 and has described how every blemish it carries came to be. I'm going to get it running and driving safely and enjoy it as is.

With that car that is the right thing to do. 

• 7 months later...

Well finally had time to get the 47 Dodge running! A new battery, reinstalled the gas tank, freed up the water pump and installed the radiator. I also had to pull the transmission and get the flywheel freed up. 

Beyond that, it fired right up! Hardly any smoking at first and we ran it for about 45 minutes with no issues. All gauges worked with oil pressure, temp and amps all normal. Even the gas gauge, lights, horn and wipers work! Radio hums but no signal.

Here is a video of the car running. Apologies for the poor resolution. 

Next up will be getting the brakes working and new tires. From there, it should be a driver!

On 11/21/2017 at 1:23 AM, Robin (UK) said:

Actually, D25 bumpers and gravel pans are different to those on the P15 Plymouth.
I posted some pictures and info on this thread, below.
Best of luck with the Dodge. NIce find!

On Canadian- built D25 models the front bumper is part number 1118 319. The Canadian Plymouth P15 bumper was part number - 1118 319.

For the buffer guards, both makes used the same units, part number 1123 504 for a pair.   They also used the same front bumper support assembly - R - 1118 294 and L -1118 295.

The D25 used stone deflector 1149 691 for the right and 1149 692 for the left

The Canadian P15 used the same deflectors as the Canadian D15 up to and including serial number 9,631,311.   Starting at 9,631,311 the Canadian P15 used 1158 555 on the right and 1158 556 on the left.  What the differences are, I do not know.

The first 1946 P15 was 9,824,461 and the first 1947 was 9,631,186.  So, the 1946 models and the first 126 1947 models had the original shields while the rest of the 1947 and all 1948 used the newer shields.

This information is from Chryco Parts Buyers Guide, WM-4275, covering 1939-1952 models.  No info in book on rear bumpers, etc.  Trying to get may hands on the Canadian 1946-1948 P15-D24-D25-S11-C38 parts book.

• Like 1