Four speed transmission parts

tanda62

If you have a 4 speed, casting number C88221, here are a couple of parts I have found.

Gasket set from Big Mikes Motor Pool - Order the set for a M37.

Rear oil seal from Napa - Part number 21210.

Hope this information helps.

Here is a picture of my reassembled and painted transmission.

trans with paint and gaskets.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tanda62 said:

If you have a 4 speed, casting number C88221, here are a couple of parts I have found.

Gasket set from Big Mikes Motor Pool - Order the set for a M37.

Rear oil seal from Napa - Part number 21210.

Hope this information helps.

Here is a picture of my reassembled and painted transmission.

trans with paint and gaskets.gif

Nice and clean. That will good in your truck. That year is synch, correct?

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I love the search on this forum, found this thread with great info after cleaning up my trans today and finding the casting number and date for my "54.

Scraping and wire brush to discover the info........

Now for the rebuild/refresh.  Totally stealing the engine stand idea too.  LOLy4mGlU3mREjld6rNQ3UHvzJzK8nPop1HOPEJc17l

Figure I can get the Transmission done with the Engine heading to machine shop. 

Thanks. 

Eric

Glad the information is helping you out. When mounting on the engine stand I happened to have some pipe the right diameter to use over the bolts to get the transmission to sit level.  Another reason to keep scrap around! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tanda62 said:

Glad the information is helping you out. When mounting on the engine stand I happened to have some pipe the right diameter to use over the bolts to get the transmission to sit level.  Another reason to keep scrap around! ?

Managed to get it sitting almost level, I can deal with it, as a better work platform.  Could only hit 3 of the 4 mounting holes with my engine stand.  Got an email out Vintage Power Wagons on gasket set with my case number, still waiting on a reply. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The gaskets arrived today.  Now for the dumb question, last week I pulled the parking brake rear flange off, and found it to have 2 gaskets......  With the new gasket set arriving I'm seeing a few that look to need have a double gasket provided.  Why would there be a double gasket without a shim?  Seems like a "double gasket" would be a highly potential leak????  Please advise... feeling a bit dumbfounded before doing a tranny update with my daughter to cover her auto shop credits.....

There should only be one gasket behind the flange (retainer in the diagram below).  The kit I got had more gaskets than I needed to account for different options some of these had like overdrive and a PTO.  Hope this diagram helps.

transmission diagram.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tanda62 said:

There should only be one gasket behind the flange (retainer in the diagram below).  The kit I got had more gaskets than I needed to account for different options some of these had like overdrive and a PTO.  Hope this diagram helps.

transmission diagram.gif

Thanks! I'm not crazy from looking at my diagram either.  Weather is supposed to be nicer this weekend for the school project/credit to happen.  I ended up going through Vintage Power Wagons.  PN# TSGSS24,  Complete Synchro Trans Seal and Gasket Set for vehicle type D, '56-71 M37, (Early) was $28.50 for all parts needed, plus some.   Very happy.  Thank you again.