Jack Storage

fhubler

Does anyone have any insight into how the jack is supposed to be stored/mounted in the trunk of a '48 Town Sedan?  Is there any factory documentation or instructional information that shows where it goes?

Fhubler,

Good question! I'm interested in learning the proper D-24 jack storage process, also.

Since purchasing my Business Coupe, I've acquired an original jack and base. I don't see anyway, like my later Mopar musclecars, to mount this item.

Walt

fhubler,

I’m sorry, but I can’t address the jack’s storage location in a sedan, but in our ’48 Plymouth Club Coupe, it’s at the front of the trunk, right behind the back seat, in a recessed area on the trunk floor. Is it possible that your Dodge sedan has a recess in a similar place? Again, warmest personal regards to you and yours!!!

Thanks

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, bob westphal said:

All  '40's MOPAR cars came with the jack storage as Branded shows in his pic. The jack is held in position by jacking it against the spare tire mount behind the tire.

Bob,

My California built D-24 Business Coupe does not have ANY provisions for holding/locating the jack, or the spring bracket.

The car has NO rust, so the trunk floor pan is stock and original. Perhaps the jack was stored in the recessed area, in the front of trunk?

Walt  

Walt,

I agree with you, as I’ve recently looked behind the spare tire in our ’46 Plymouth coupe, and there’s NO brackets of any kind to hold a jack, a spring, or anything else. Ours nestles nicely in that recess just behind the rear seat. It stays in place, and it doesn’t rattle. The best part, at least I think so, is that it’s out of the way, and out of sight, since our trunk carpet extends to the rear support, and covers it. Best regards . . .  

You should have a round clamp and bolt. The foot of the jack is bolted behind the round clamp and tightened into the spare bracket. The jack sits behind the jack foot and is tightened against the tire so it doesn't rattle. The tightening bolt should have the same size bolt head as the lug nuts so you can tighten it with the lug wrench. 

Thank you for that information.  I inventoried what came with the vehicle when I purchased it (see photos).  I think I may have the incorrect bolt because it is too short to install the foot as you describe and the head of the bolt is smaller than the size of the lug nuts.  This wheel was described as the original spare.  I did not expect to find the original wheel painted this way, but I bought it from the grandson of the original owner who told me that this is, in fact, the original.  He was going to install a new tire on the spare & his grandfather advised him not to do that because this was the only remaining original tire.  I will upload an album with photos of the details of this tire and the inflation notice that came with it.

Forum Jack 3.jpg

Forum Jack 2.jpg

Forum Jack 1.jpg

On our ’46 Plymouth Club Coupe, the bolt that tightens the spare wheel to the bracket isn’t anywhere near the size of the lug bolts. It’s a very over-sized wing bolt that threads into that round plate on the spare tire bracket. When tightened, it holds the tire very securely, and it’s never worked itself loose. Comparing ours to the photo provided by Branded, ours doesn’t have anything to hook a spring to, nor anything for the base-plate for the jack to rest against, except the rear tail-light housing (and that’s not a good idea!!!). Comparing our setup to the photo provided by fhubler—top=to-bottom (and bottom photo from left to right)—we don’t have that small rectangular piece; the round piece on the bracket looks the same, but the hole isn’t as large, and it’s threaded; and we’ve got that round crowned piece that I put on the spare wheel for the over-larger wing-bolt to force against. So, what have we got? Based upon this conversation, and looking at the photos herein—I haven’t got a clue!!! But, everything fits like it’s supposed to be where it is. So, like the old saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, and I consider our “ain’t broke”, so I ain't gonna fix it.

Gentlemen,

First off, according to the '46-'48 Dodge Passenger Car Parts List, the bolt in question is a 124180, described as "hex-hd, S., cd-pltd., 1/2-20 x 2 1/2 in.".

DrDoctor (I love that name/handle because it sound like something from a rock & roll tune!), your wing bolt was used on a lot of '60s B-bodied too.

FHubler, I believe your outstanding survivor D-24 has all the right pieces! The rectangular part (which I think is 866898) locates within the channel welded to the body. The bolt, with a flat washer, goes through the round wheel clamping plate (866896), the wheel, and then threads into the 866898 part.

I just can't visualize how the jack and the base are held/located by these parts. I hope that our Webmaster, P15-D24, can supply us with some photos. You know, a picture's worth a thousand words!!

Walt     

Thank you for continuing this discussion - these are the minor details that keep me up at night until it is worked out :confused:  I think the bolt that I have fits the description of PN 124180 and the rectangular part may be PN 866898 because I noticed a small amount of the interior panel color paint (what the heck is that color, anyway???) around the threaded hole on the chamfered side.  This car does not have the spring or place to attach one on the floor panel.  No holes in the mounting bracket are threaded - the large hole on the vertical piece is reinforced & there is a small hole on the horizontal section that is also not threaded & about 5/16"-3/8" in size.  This hole is not reinforced.  So I'm back to square one!  If I have all the correct parts, the bolt head is smaller than the lug nuts & there is no clear way to store the jack & handle securely that I have discovered :huh:

Thank you for the complement on the outstanding survivor.  I wish I could say that I searched long & hard & paid whatever it took, but it just kind of fell in my lap at a ridiculous price I couldn't refuse.  Life is full of wonderful little surprises.  I have been uploading photos to the galleries.  So far I have some overall photos, the OEM tire information & some documentation photos (including the original bill of sale).  I plan to add options/accessories photos & upholstery photos as well.

My '48 Special Deluxe jack mount is exactly as the picture shown by Branded.  The lifting ratcheting assembly is jacked against the spare tire mount to place tension, which holds the jack in place. My car had a spring attachment on the floor of the trunk that rusted away. The upper spring hook goes through a hole in the bottom of the lifting part. Could it be that the Special Deluxe is a little different than the other cars?

Our car is a Special DeLuxe Club Coupe, albeit a 1946 and not a 1948. Do you think that could account for the differences everyone’s encountering? The larger hold in the circular plate in the middle photo from fhubler of Sun 12Nov2017 isn’t as large on our car as the one on his car appears. The bolt we have is a ⅜” course-threaded hole, and the corresponding bolt that goes into it doesn’t have a hex-head, but rather a good-sized set of “Mickey Mouse ears”, ie: a wing-bolt with ample “ears” to exert enough torque to tighten the tire down sufficiently so it won’t rattle, or work itself lose from vibration (that only conjecture on my part, tho’ . . .). I pulled the carpet back from the floor behind the spare tire, and I can so no evidence of there ever being a bracket, or a loop, of any kind to connect a spring as depicted in the photo provided by Branded on Thur the 09th of Nov. But, his is a 1949 (I assume a second series), and that’s a completely different body style than the 1946-49 (first series). Don’t you just love a mystery???

Thanks, 49D-24BusCpr for the complement on the userid. As for the userid “DrDoctor”—the first one I used was my actual last name, and that caused such a flap that I actually had the site’s webmaster remove every entry I’d made, and everything else pertaining to me, from the site. I didn’t return to it for several months. But, that’s another story for another time, and another place . . .  My wife tho’t of this one, a play on the fact that I’m a doctor, albeit a retired one. So, “Dr”, and “doctor”, became “DrDoctor”. And now that you mention it, it does have a kinda rocker vibe to it . . . 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:48 AM, P15-D24 said:

You should have a round clamp and bolt. The foot of the jack is bolted behind the round clamp and tightened into the spare bracket. The jack sits behind the jack foot and is tightened against the tire so it doesn't rattle. The tightening bolt should have the same size bolt head as the lug nuts so you can tighten it with the lug wrench. 

P15-D24,

Please give us a visual of the spare tire installed, holding the jack and base. My spare mounting equipment appears to be identical to FHuber's.

Per my site ID/handle, my car is a 1st series D-24 Business Coupe, which was built in California.

Walt   

BTW Doctor.......as for the rock'n roll vibe........the Oz 60's band The Easybeats had a hit with "Come And See Her"......each line of this song starts with........yep......"Doctor Doctor...."........just when you thought trivial info could reach no new depths.............lol.............regards, andyd   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andydodge said:

BTW Doctor.......as for the rock'n roll vibe........the Oz 60's band The Easybeats had a hit with "Come And See Her"......each line of this song starts with........yep......"Doctor Doctor...."........just when you thought trivial info could reach no new depths.............lol.............regards, andyd   

I'm getting a little off the reservation here, for this thread, but anyhow! I always enjoy our 'Big Pond' friend Andy's additions.

Where I heard this ditty came from Robert Palmer's classic '79 "Bad Case of Loving You". One of the lines In his hit song, goes "Doctor, Doctor give me the news, I've got a 'Bad Case of Loving You". A little  bit of Rock & Roll trivia out of the back of my head!

Walt      

Andy,

I, too, have to say here and now that I always enjoy hearing from you from “the Land Down Under”. I especially appreciate your taking the time to enlighten me about the Easybeats—while I’ve not heard them, it’s great to pick up some rock & roll trivia. By the way, AC/DC is one my favorite bands!!!

Walt,

Likewise, I always enjoy hearing from you, too. You’re always courteous and polite, and that’s very much appreciated, at least by me!!! And, Yes, I remember the Robert Palmer song “Bad Case Of Loving You”, but must confess that I didn’t remember the line “Doctor, Doctor” until you reminded me of it. Another great rocker who departed us way too soon. Oh, remember his “back-up band” in the later years—the drop-dead gorgeous girls with the incredibly short skirts???

And, gentlemen, I’m still confused about this jack situation. Question to you both: did Chrysler manufacture vehicles in South America???  Warmest personal regards to both of you . . .

I guess a lot of people don't know "jack" about these cars - especially me! :D

Fhubler,

You’re going to have to add me to the list of those “who don’t know jack about these old cars”. I know enough to be dangerous, but at least I know, and acknowledge that I know enough to be dangerous. It’s those who don’t know that they’re dangerous that we have to look out for. So, I guess you and I are safe, at least for the time being. Best regards. . . .

Guys,

As a follow-up to the “don’t know jack” tho’t—I was told many years ago that when a doctor retires, he/she will forget half of the medical information that he/she knew within the first six months, and half of the remainder in the next six month. That equates to 75% of our hard-fought-learned medical information gone in the first year!!! I tho’t that sounded much too extreme. However, having retired five years ago, I’m here to tell you that, as much as I’d like to say otherwise, it’s true. Hence, why I’m including myself in the “don’t know jack” group. I consider it a group of distinction, whose membership may not be numerous, but it’s exclusive. Now, how do we resolve this jack storage mystery/issue???

Half the fun is not knowing because you always look forward to the thrill of finding out!  My theory is, if someone put it together, someone else can take it apart & put it back together better... and if you find out your really screwed it up, then you've learned a lesson you'll never have to learn again because you'll never forget it.  Now if I could just figure out the limited budget problem, I'de really be dangerous :)

Gentlemen,

I'm an optimist - I believe that we're going to know 'jack'.

My wife's widow Grandmother was born in 1881, and was always an entrepreneur. Grandma was fond of quoting the following ditty, which sums up the range of knowledge.

He who knows, and knows that he knows; He is wise - follow him!

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not; He is humble - teach him!

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not; He is a fool - shun him!

Walt  

• Like 2