old man & springs

Don Jordan

they say it's one of the first things to go.  When I was ready to take my engine out (long story) I first took the hood off.  It was so long ago I don't remember.  Today I put it back on but for the life of me I don't remember taking the springs off so now I don't know how to put them back on.  Is there a trick?  Do I need to take the hood off and start again?  I know it must be easy but I can't figure it out.

I'd appreciate any feedback

d-

It's not easy.  Search the forums and you'll find a few tricks.  There are also a couple different installation tools you can try.

See my post below, I used 36 nickels shoved in-between the coils of the spring to expand it enough to hook up both ends.  When I closed the hood, the nickels (mostly) just fell out.  I did have to jiggle around with it a bit to get them all out.

I read about someone who contrived to extend the springs and freeze them in water so they could be reinstalled (on a Chevrolet),

Like Don, I have never removed a spring for the purpose of  removing the hood on a Plymouth just three bolts on each side and sometimes  one in the middle of the support arch.

Edited by dpollo
correction

I guess it was a silly move - I took the hood off with the 4 bolts on the hinges.  Don't remember the springs.  If I take the hood off with the 6 bolts would it be possible to put the springs on and then replace the hood?  Murphy's law: if anything can go wrong it will.