Thermostat NOS vs. New ones

Thomba48

I recently had to replace the thermostat on the P15, it was stuck open. Car would only get to about 120*F on a cool fall day and the engine wasn't happy. Installed a 160*F thermostat and now the old car runs at indicated 160-165* and purrs like a kitten.

Keeping the thermostat in place while lining up the radiator and bypass hoses was sorta a pain. Just kept fiddlin' with it until it all fell into place. If I'd thought about the rubber band trick that might have simplified things a bit, I'll use it when I replace the new thermostat in thirty years or so....  ?

36 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

If I'd thought about the rubber band trick that might have simplified things a bit, I'll use it when I replace the new thermostat in thirty years or so....  ?

buy your rubber band now...am sure they will skyrocket in price over the next three decades...

3 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I use the permatex Indian head shellac gasket sealer on T-stats. I do not know what is best, just what worked for me 40 years ago while others failed.

I glued my t-stat in place and also the gasket, let it setup for a few min before installing. Use fingers to support weight of t-stat while setting it down.

Seems like it slipped once on me, you could tell because housing would not sit flush. Picked it back up and mooshed everything back together, more careful 2nd try and no issues.

Probably something that would glue things better .... just what I use.

I use Indian Head,too. Same reason. I am a big believer in the theory that says "If it ain't broke,don't fix it."