Emergency Brake drum nut

tanda62

Anyone know if this nut holding the emergency brake drum on the four speed transmission is right hand or left hand?  I have been trying to remove this nut using a breaker bar and extension without any luck and am now wondering if it is left hand thread.  Also what do you think about applying heat to get this bolt off?  My concern is this is the end of the shaft with the trans gears and would the heat warp anything.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tom

trans emergency brake.gif

Normal...... CCW to remove it.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

In my opinion, if you do use heat, be cautious of the "support seal" at the back of that drum. 

If it was me, I would try the penetrating oil and a cheater bar. If you do decide to use heat instead just be prepared to replace that seal if needed. (Took my out and to a local "seal supply house" for a match up) 

but again, just my opinion :)

Victory!!  After many days of spraying penetrating fluid on the nut, I reinstalled the transmission on the truck (it is stripped down to the chassis with just the motor and bell housing and front axle left) and using a cheater bar it finally came loose.  The trans is back on the stand and now it can be inspected and cleaned, painted back to original silver and put aside until time for it to go back in during final assembly - many months from now.

Thank you everyone for the advice - and if you ever find yourself needing to take this nut off do it before you remove the transmission from the truck.

transmission without brake drum.gif

• 3 years later...