Barton Mfg signal guide

51Meadowbrook

Have any of y'all ever installed one of these Barton Mfg signal guide lights? A good friend of mine gave me one of these for my car but it's missing some kind of slide switch for the gas pedal and the instructions. I have a basic idea of how it works and installed but any instructions or advise would be great! Thanks! These pics were taken off from Google and eBay mine is actually gray in color with just the wires.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by 51Meadowbrook
Added text

I have a Stadco all metal one... have never installed it though.

Stadco Lifesaver.jpg

• Like 1

I do have the instructions but a Stadco is wired different than the Barton.

The Barton as I  recall has a switch built into the gas pedal and the Barton gas pedal clamps over your gas pedal.

Some where I have the kit with instructions for the Stadco.....not sure if it will help you though..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I do have the instructions but a Stadco is wired different than the Barton.

The Barton as I  recall has a switch built into the gas pedal and the Barton gas pedal clamps over your gas pedal.

Some where I have the kit with instructions for the Stadco.....not sure if it will help you though..

I was wondering about that pedal in the pic how that worked . A friend of mine suggested a mercury switch , just not sure where to mount it maybe under the hood to the carb linkage 

Pics of instructions for the Stadco....this is a very large sheet and this is the best I can get it for clarity.

Stadco Lifesaver Instructions (2).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Stadco Lifesaver Instructions (2) - Copy.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rear window.

I mounted mine in the rear window.

It came without the cover that slid over the gas pedal.

I rewired it.

I used a 6 volt relay and a NO/NC limit switch on the rod going to the carb from the gas pedal.

I will look for my diagram and post this weekend.

• Like 1

that winky cat thing is just a target here in the south.....I have seen folks run off the road just to get a cat.....them suckers are fast.....

the stop light thing is pure novelty....you would be surprised to know most folks are riding close to your bumper trying to figure out what you have hanging in the rear of the car....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our local busses have a system that flashes too bright led amber lights in the center of the rear panel when the accelerator pedal is released, then the stop lights flash a few times if the brakes are applied, then a second set of reds come on if the brakes are pressed steadily, add in signal lamps another set of led ambers and all you need is a fog machine for a rock concerted.   All that led strobing sets off my seizure reflex.  

Here is what  I did.

I rewired the light itself as the sketch shows.

The picture of the limit switch is kind of hidden, but it operates off the throttle rod.

The brake switch turns on the brake lights, the red light in the traffic signal and pulls in the relay.

This opens the normally closed contacts, thereby turning off the yellow(amber) light.

If I remove my foot from the brake, the red light goes off and the yellow light turns on.

If I push down on the gas pedal, the limit switch returns on turns the green light on.

If I depress the gas and the brake, the brake light overrides the green light.

Seems to work.

Barton Wiring.jpg

Limit Switch.jpg

Rear light.jpg

Edited by 1950 Special Deluxe
Added a picture
  • Like 3

• 3 years later...

That’s my sketch. When the brake is released, the coil drops out and via the NC contacts on the relay my limit switch mounted by the carb is energized. Thru the NC portion of the limit switch the yellow light comes on. When the gas is pressed the rod that runs the carb moves and it breaks the NC limit and the NO turns on the Green light. 
Sorry for the long explanation, but it makes sense to me and it works. 

Now I think is the time to install mine!

I need a fun little project for one of my cars.

11 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Now I think is the time to install mine!

I need a fun little project for one of my cars.

You had since what 2017 and still in box? ? LOL

1950 Special Deluxe sketch is perfect but I'll hide switch under pedal floor. 

For yellow and green I'll get a Reed Switch. These are small, almost same dimension, 5mm as wiring, and can be hidden in shrink tube. But they have a current limitation, therefore all 3 bulbs swapped with LED. Or use a relay with bulbs.  A small neodymium with center hole on rod.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381589116888?hash=item58d87bd7d8:g:q8MAAOSwJblW~8RZ

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by chrysler1941