Hood Emblem Paint

Branded

Anyone now the colors to use to correctly refinish the hood Emblem from a 49 Dodge.

Thanks in advance, Dave

IMG_0636.JPG

Edited by Branded

Yes, I've read that it was more of a glass than it was a paint. Looking for ideas for something that may be close in appearance.

29 minutes ago, busycoupe said:

It looks like the black and red swapped locations from 48 to 49.

but but , what about the gold and blue..................AND.............do you know the story behind the dot in the center......HMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!  there are rumors of original crest on cars very early 41 before the puritan uprising...but I have never seen one...would give any one of you folks right arm to own one if for real......

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

45 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

but but , what about the gold and blue..................AND.............do you know the story behind the dot in the center......HMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!  there are rumors of original crest on cars very early 41 before the puritan uprising...but I have never seen one...would give any one of you folks right arm to own one if for real......

I'm thinking it's time for me and the wife to go fingernail polish shopping to attempt to find something close.

No, I don't know the story about the dot, please enlighten me. :-)

I'd look for a new one.....or get the enamel redone. $150.00 bucks ought to buy one if you find one.

Or uh... maybe $250.00+ ! jesus am I out of touch!:eek:

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

7 hours ago, 49roadster said:

just as an aside, the d29 cars did not have this emblem

Thanks for that bit of info, the D29 cars did have the D O D G E letters on the hood  didn't they. Mine have been removed and holes filled.

7 minutes ago, grady hawkins said:

My D24 emblem has USA in gold color at the bottom

This one does too, never noticed it until you mentioned it. I got this in a box of other items I bought. These is what I was after but had to buy everything.

IMG_0638.JPG

40 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that G is usually missing more than being there...last two I scored and stripped were missing a couple hood letters

These are in pretty good condition and had the clips with them also. If you notice I think the center bar on the E might be missing. Pretty clean break if it is, I'm sure there would have been a center bar on the E. I don't think it will be that noticeable.

2 minutes ago, 49roadster said:

I have seen some Wayfarers with the emblem however if you check a parts book for the 49 Dodge it shows the emblem only for the D30. And as to the Dodge letters, yes the belong on the hood.

Looking from the backside of the hood I can see the tell tail signs of the holes for the letters. Nothing for the crest, so I'm going to say mine never had a crest either.

To fix the cloisonné' on my 50 Chrysler hub caps,I took clear Rust-o-lium paint and added a small amount of color to create a transparent paint. I then blobbed this paint into the missing area. It took several layers to build up the color. The color looked pale at first but the thicker it got, the better it look.

The color on these emblems is  vitreous enamel. Not the paint but the same thing that is on the old advertising signs. It is a type of glass that is applied as a powder and is then heated up to about 1800 F. It melts to produce a shiny surface but will crack or chip if bent or hit. The enamel on the signs is opaque. The enamel on the emblems is transparent. Usually the metal surface of the emblem is shined up and has textures  so light passes through the enamel and bounces off the surface  with a sort of glow.   The emblems are usually made of copper. Where the enamel is broken off, the copper will oxidize. If you try to shine the copper back up with a little fine steel wool before applying the paint color repair you will get a better match to the original look. This will not be an invisible repair but will look a lot better. If you get the color but it still isn't filled up, just switch to only clear. If you use regular paint you don't get that stained glass look. I believe the black is opaque.

If you pay to have it done ,they will strip off the old color and chrome plating. Shine the surface and reapply the new enamel and heat it on. On small part the heating can be done with a torch from below but most of the time the part is put in an electric kiln. Then the part will be re-chromed. Enamel will not stick to chrome hence the plating after.

FYI, cloisonne' refers to the technique of applying enamel to a surface where the colors are separated by metal creating individual pockets. The Chinese did a lot of this and I believe invented the technique.

I may play with the emblem with clear and paint added as you described. You can clearly see the copper on the left side of the emblem where a piece of the red has recently chipped off. I won't be using the emblem since there's no indication there was ever one on the Wayfarer. Very interesting process how the colors was originally applied.

IMG_0636.JPG

Edited by Branded

12 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

speaking of arts and crafts, years ago before anyone was reproducing emblems and such for a particular sports car,  I used a bake on stained glass kit (actual media is plastic) with very good results.  Look on E-bay or your local Sloppy Jobby or Mistakels supply house...

Thanks, kind of like a powder coat but different