Klinestine

I got my 53 Cranbrook running the other day after two years of working on it, and it did great for like 20 minutes before stalling. I figured I had not got all the old gas out of the tank and that it got cranky with me, which is exactly what happened. Figured that after flushing the entire fuel system, I might as well rebuild the carb too, as it didn't look like it had been touched in years.

When I bought the car, the PO had sold me a bunch of parts, including a new carb that looked identical on the outside to the one that was on the car, but seemed in much better shape. Almost brand new! they are both Carter B&B carbs with the correct type I dashpot. But inside, the well that the dashpot plunger sits in in different between the two models. I have no problem cleaning the one I took off as best as I can and putting it back in if I need to, but does anyone know which one is the correct on for the car? Or if I can just use either one on the car? The PO already did a couple wacky things to the car to make it run and throwing on a random carb he found wouldn't have surprised me in the least. 

Also, if anyone has any idea where to get the correct dashpot plunger I would be much obliged. The one I ordered doesn't match the one I took out of both or the ones from the manuals and is missing the check ball and vent hole through the center of the plunger. And the ones I have, the leather is all worn out on. 

New one is on the left.

cabs.jpg.abff27e8214a0659a8cc6dddbf40679f.jpg

first off it looks as if you have two different carbs. The clean one has a different hole combination for the dashpot and the old one does not have the second hole and there is also a slot in the old carb where the dashpot was installed.  do you have the top of both carbs becasue there is a number that is stamped into the flange and this is the model number of the carb and this is important so that you get the correct rebuild kits.

Let me know the number and I can look in my books to see what kits you would need.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich,

That's my question. Everything else is identical except for that dashpot area, so I don’t know which one to use.  The clean one is a Carter D6P2. This is one of the two that I commonly find listed for 1953 Plymouths (D6P1 is the other). But that was not the one that was on the car, it was in a box of parts in the trunk. The dirty one is a D6J1. From what I found, that is off older Dodges. That was the one that I just removed from the car. And I would not put it past the PO to have put the wrong carb on the car. He had the automatic choke disconnected and the dashpot disconnected on the one that was on the car. It’s clear is was a body shop and not an actual mechanic that did the work on it. 

They both use the same rebuild kit, and the plunger that came out of them is identical.