silver engine paint

Forrest

Hi Everyone,

I just got my flathead back from the engine builder and would like to paint it the stock silver color, but can’t find a suitable engine paint. Everything I’ve found is either super bright aluminum or cast iron black.  What types of SILVER have you used and how has it held up?  How about intake and exhaust manifold paint too?

Thanks a bunch. 

I used Nason Ful-thane color code 1J w/ Silver Effect Single stage.  after priming the engine with epoxy gray primer, 1 pint with medium reducer and hardener was enough to paint the entire engine, bellhousing and transmission and provide a really nice bright finish. Yeah, I know its not original but the dull aluminum finish from the color code I got for factory original paint color just didn't appeal to me. The pedals were painted with original engine color and you can see the contrast.

image1.JPG

Edited by johnsartain

paint the engine is basically a job that you cannot expect long term application of paint..the very porosity of the cast iron will allow the oils from inside to pass to the outside and degrade the adhesion of the paint.....look at the cast iron pan...trust me you wife is not that sloppy of a cook when frying....the oils are passing though when heated...that is why you have to burn them often to clean the surfaces....you can spent a lot of time and money on the paint but it is destined to failure by application...

I know, but it looks soooo good for quite some time. Having a hardener in the paint does help some in keeping the paint finish intact longer. There is a lot of vapor in the engine compartment due to the venting of blow-by from the vent tube and fill cap in these older engines. The older the engine the more vapors. Those vapors tend to cling to whatever they touch and when its a hot engine, they get baked on along with the dirt and road grime.

Edited by johnsartain

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

I found that this paint took a while to cure hard. Did others have a similar experience.

Which type of paint are you talking about? The POR15 stuff says you have to let it sit for a week before starting the engine. 

I'm the only one with John in their handle, maybe some of you other guys are named John as well. If you were referring to me, the oil filter is mounted to my engine, its the larger black canister on the left side of the engine.

• 3 years later...

Has any one used Motor Coater Engine Enamel?

Wonder if the Aluminum is a close match?

Ordered a sample, we'll see.

Motor Coater

Capture.PNG.e8afd8b145edc59ea2b6cd84be821d80.PNG

Edited by billrigsby

On 10/22/2017 at 6:17 PM, Forrest said:

Thanks a bunch for the input. It helped a ton. I ended up using duplicolor aluminum cast coat engine paint (rattle can). It looks great. Not too bright. 

83FF06EC-CED1-45D4-B58F-25A6BF7F8FE6.jpeg

I like the look of the cast paint, however i dont think it stands up as well as silver engine enamel. Used them both, and it seems rust starts to creep through the cast paint. 

My engine and transmission were rebuilt last winter. The shop asked me what color I wanted, so I told them silver. He showed me some engine parts they just did, and said they have enough left over to do my stuff. Well, the parts he showed me were from a Ferrari, and it was an official Ferrari color. So we used that paint. It looks good and the '39 Plymouth now runs a whole lot faster! ?

Pete

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2