PT125 Rebuild

TomP

After getting used to my 41 truck it's time to start tearing it down read to make it good for the next 76 years. Couple of threads that relate to my previous work on this truck "Got me a 41 Truck" and "T142 engine"

20171012_172317.jpg

20171012_172257.jpg

20171012_172225.jpg

I've got a FRESH 265 30 over 10 10 crank pro rebuilt and a Torque Flight , If you are interested. Charlie Stephenson

21 hours ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

I've got a FRESH 265 30 over 10 10 crank pro rebuilt and a Torque Flight , If you are interested. Charlie Stephenson

Thanks Charlie but the T142 will do what I need, something to move it about on and off the trailer etc. price of fuel is possible 4 times what you pay so it wont be doing a lot of miles.

Surprised me how quick you can pull one of these down, only a couple of hrs work there so far, first I removed the front hood anchor plate lift all 4 sections off the hood in 1.  Remove the inner splash shields,  then pull the radiator followed by the L/H fender and remove the bolts of the R/H fender, the rad shell tie rods were already removed. Remove all the bolts holding the top half rad shell and grille together, please bear in mind that the truck is in a shipping container, tight against the right hand side. My other 2 are in my workshop where I spend most of my free time.

Edited by TomP

18 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Good job. You must not live in the rust belt. It can take us a couple hours just for one bolt sometimes. :rolleyes:

Thanks Merle, this one spent most of it's life in Utah in and around Tooele, it was 1 of 601 built in the LA plant. Rust is an enemy to us all here in the UK is one of the worst, bare metal rusts for a past time. I did have some bolts that sheared straight off with very little pressure they will have to be drilled out and unscrewed with the easy-outs.

4 hours ago, BlueberryDodge said:

Thanks for the pics. I hope you continue to post progress. It will give the rest of us courage to get dirty.

You want dirt this is the T142 before and during, after is complete color wise but will have to wait for photos

T142a.jpg

T142b.jpg

T142c.jpg

T142d.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Few more updates from last week, engine trans is ready to go in, just got to clean up the frame, blast & spray, 3 coats Rustoleum, Firewall will be John Deere Green as it was in service. Rust repair to be completed on both sides of the cab, did they all go there?

20171024_180324.jpg

20171024_180346.jpg

20171024_174841.jpg

20171027_165926.jpg

• Like 2

Tom, I was stationed in England for almost eight years over my military career,.....you have a very nice truck....I am wondering how inspection goes for these old trucks.....as I remember it is a pain just for vehicles that are 10 years old like it was on my old Volvo when I was there....

18 minutes ago, JaysonK said:

Tom, I was stationed in England for almost eight years over my military career,.....you have a very nice truck....I am wondering how inspection goes for these old trucks.....as I remember it is a pain just for vehicles that are 10 years old like it was on my old Volvo when I was there....

Thanks for your kind comments, regs are getting easier all the time, from May next Vehicles over 40 yrs old wont even need an MOT, as I understand it stock as long as roadworthy will automatically receive a ticket once registered, none stock will get 1 point deducted for each change to a max. of 10, over 10 will have to go for SVA (Single Vehicle Appraisal) plus be put on a Q plate. 

On 10/29/2017 at 4:23 PM, TomP said:

Thanks for your kind comments, regs are getting easier all the time, from May next Vehicles over 40 yrs old wont even need an MOT, as I understand it stock as long as roadworthy will automatically receive a ticket once registered, none stock will get 1 point deducted for each change to a max. of 10, over 10 will have to go for SVA (Single Vehicle Appraisal) plus be put on a Q plate. 

Guess I should have drove much older vehicles, lol 

On 10/31/2017 at 10:18 PM, BlueberryDodge said:

Engine turned out excellent. I am excited to see it mounted.

Working in the front end of a container is pants, trying to shotblast the frame rails is proving too slow, so have another piece of kit on it's way to me.

• 5 months later...

Been a while since posting here, moved along a little with this 41, have stripped the bodywork off of the front end so that I could prepare it for a 1947 T142 engine trans that has been de-coked and tidied in readiness for fitting.

Still can't embed Photos into text 

Primed, Frame with 2 coats of Rust-Oleum, 2 Coates John Deere Green in keeping with it's former life, plus the engine waiting to be fired up.

20180328_155014A.jpg

20180404_114548A.jpg

20180404_153057A.jpg

20180404_163551A.jpg

Edited by TomP
  • Like 3

Thanks for your support gents, nice to know fellow Mopar guys find the time to browse the threads, here in the UK space for lock-up are a premium, already have 500 sq ft an ex farmers barn which is not suitable for modern farming. I bought my container as an over spill then had the opportunity to buy my 41 Plymouth PT125 and lost my surplus space. None of the photos show the fact that the floor of the container is 2 ft above ground level, fortunately I have a large flatbed trailer tiltbed so getting the truck out will be a dream, here's today's helping.

20180409_172949.jpg

• Like 1

It's in all bar one 9/16unf bolt which screws into the rear floating bracket, will need to remove the lower bolt which is a nut & bolt fixing, then wedge the gape  to see when the holes aligned, I will try the mirror on a stick with a torch but there's not alot of room. Getting to old for this rockin n rolling on the floor.

20180410_174300.jpg

• Like 1

I had a heck of a time with those bolts on my 47 project. I believe the proper method is to install them to the bellhousing and then do the rubber mounts. I already had my mounts installed so I fought with aligning those 4 bolts.

Hi Ed, yes the longest way is usually the quickest, my problem was that I couldn’t get the split pin out, short of cutting the head off and I didn’t have a spare. The drivers side I took the bottom nut & bolt back out and the did the treaded top one first, the bottom hole you can get a good view of so put a pry bar to twist the bracket. Did the same on the other side but it would not play.  There’s always tomorrow.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:33 PM, Young Ed said:

I had a heck of a time with those bolts on my 47 project. I believe the proper method is to install them to the bellhousing and then do the rubber mounts. I already had my mounts installed so I fought with aligning those 4 bolts.

Job Done, in the end I removed the 4 screws which hold the right hand rear floating mount, within an hour the bracket was aligned to the mounting and bolted back into the frame. Didn't even break a nail. Now to get ready to firer it up.

20180412_172353 (1).jpg

20180412_172429.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can't believe it's been 18 months since last posting, so lets see what I can find.

• Once it was rolled out of the container the Cab was removed single handed, I didn't want to remove the steering wheel incase it fell apart, so with the help of 4  6/1 pulley blocks I lifted the back much higher than the front and then by lift the front at the same time as lowering the back the wheel came through the toeboard opening. Then the rolling frame was pushed forward until I could lower the Cab on to a boggy.1722625070_41paint2.jpg.7914285571252e288ba5811dec9d2853.jpg
  • The lower inner section of the windshield frame was shot, once the frame was split the outer section of the lower was salvaged. A 3/8" sq hammer form was made to replicate the main section of the inner, no easy task but with shipping cost to the UK plus duties there was very little to lose.572177626_41windshieldframe1A.jpg.481de9f93385e29eb8743309246592d3.jpg
  • Laid the Cab on it's knees got insideand stipped the paint making sure that all the details were sharp, nothing worst than driving along and seeing all the imperfections.365710497_Innercabstrip.jpg.1fbb53472bccd21f6cc041e59a6b33ab.jpg
  • The Seat, not something I wanted to do at this stage but after being let down by a sand blaster (£300 job took 4 months) I was fast running out of things to do. Had spent time making up my own wiring loom and installing it as far as I could, time on my hands. Upholstery is one of my strings so lets just say it's my mark on the restoration.
  • thumbnail_20190926_165522.jpg.7cb11453ca589c94492195f0f96071c6.jpg
  • Just a bit of prep work before the paint man works his magic.( ignore whats under the cable tie, just a small job that came my way for a PT105 )518821869_trialscentretrim2.jpg.ee94b18cc1907062dc981bd7ba2ec672.jpg

Have now got the first fix of the inner front fenders with the fender brace and radiator in position, the lower grille with the fenders all bolted up solid putting 2 penny washer where the welting goes.

Edited by TomP
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...