Starting engine after 5 years

I never was a believer much in the bad gas thing until a couple of years ago. I had a dirt bike that had sat over a year that I guess I forgot to put sta-bil in as I usually do. I got it out and tried to kick it over, with no luck. I had spark, compression, fuel I could hear ot sloshing in the tank. I decided to look in the tak to see ho much was there and it smelled like old paint thinner. I drained it and walla! I started first kick. I wound up cleaning the carb out because it had a problem idling. Probably gummed up the idle jet.

Didn't do compression check but we did pull #1 plug, got piston to the top of the stroke and checked rotor for correct position. #1 had compression.

Spark is good. Tank has been cleaned but found pinch in gas line so we poured gas down carb just to see if it would fire. You would think it would fire for a few seconds.

Yes the gas is good.

Thanks for getting back.

• 7 months later...
22 minutes ago, Cordell said:

Any of you guys know How much compression do you need to fire the motor 130 lbs.??

I seen them run with less than half that compression. It smoked a bit.  

• 4 months later...
On 6/8/2018 at 10:59 AM, Cordell said:

Any of you guys know How much compression do you need to fire the motor 130 lbs.??

My compression is around 90 lbs and have an excelent start.

• 1 year later...

Did it ever start? My 49 hasnt run in 40 plus years. Compression on highest cylinder was 65 psi. 
I cleaned points and carb, added fresh gas and it fired up, ran rough and got better as it warned up. Now it starts without much effort. 
i should check compression again now that it has been running a while.