New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

I've searched the threads for a finished close up pic of the bed done with the correct strips and bolts...and couldn't find one....our truck came with a piece of plywood in the bed so I have no idea of what it is supposed to look like when it came from the factory ,we did have some large bolts and massive round washers under the plywood but nothing else ...Thanks Steve...

13 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

I've searched the threads for a finished close up pic of the bed done with the correct strips and bolts...and couldn't find one....our truck came with a piece of plywood in the bed so I have no idea of what it is supposed to look like when it came from the factory ,we did have some large bolts and massive round washers under the plywood but nothing else ...Thanks Steve...

try this  STOCK, no FERD or CHEBBY strips for me.  Strips from Midwest Military the ONLY source of correct strips for our trucks:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/30202-building-your-own-wood-bed/?hl=%2Bbuilding+%2Bwood+%2Bbed

4 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

try this  STOCK, no FERD or CHEBBY strips for me.  Strips from Midwest Military the ONLY source of correct strips for our trucks:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/30202-building-your-own-wood-bed/?hl=%2Bbuilding+%2Bwood+%2Bbed

Ok I understand the strips what about a source for the wood if we don't have the tools to make our own???? Does anyone know what Dodge used for the original wood????? Ash??? 

I believe the original wood was southern yellow pine. It may have been different on the west coast built trucks. Mine is made out of hickory because a friend had a bunch of left over hickory boards that were too light for his cabinet building. We glued them up to get the width needed and he milled them for me based on specs I provided. I got the milling instructions form Mar-K. I also got my bed strips from them. http://www.mar-k.com/_assets/images/instructions/bed_wood_dimensions.pdf

Do you know anyone with a wood working shop?

25 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I believe the original wood was southern yellow pine. It may have been different on the west coast built trucks. Mine is made out of hickory because a friend had a bunch of left over hickory boards that were too light for his cabinet building. We glued them up to get the width needed and he milled them for me based on specs I provided. I got the milling instructions form Mar-K. I also got my bed strips from them. http://www.mar-k.com/_assets/images/instructions/bed_wood_dimensions.pdf

Do you know anyone with a wood working shop?

Yes I do ...a good friend has his own cabinet shop ....Thanks 

2 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

Yes I do ...a good friend has his own cabinet shop ....Thanks 

If you want original style strips, I can't say this often enough, Midwest Military. 

Any wood worker can help you out making the boards.  I used white oak since it doesn't rot easily.

11 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

One of these might help. Broken stud remover.

studremover.jpg

Nope barely have 1/8 to get a vice grips on and it ain't working ....so I tried to go get my drill /easy out set and I can't even get a drill bit to even make a dimple in the stud?????? And drill bits are brand new titanium....WTH???? NOW WHAT ....

Ok so still dealing with 2 broken studs in head but stupid me ...I see now I removed the rest of the studs pretty easy BUT I didn't notice till this morning I have 2 different stud lengths ...same thread pitch but different lengths ....I assume the longer 4 are for outer exhaust manifold flange ??????

9 minutes ago, P15-D24 said:

This is why an investment in a factory parts book is a very good idea. It has all that info in one place for the entire vehicle.

It does not ......it just lists the studs at 3/8-16 studs no lengths so how exactly does a parts book help .....???? I have 3 different Dodge b2b books ....