New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

So I want to order new water pump and gaskets for truck at the same time I wanted to out in a new thermostat but when I look at them on line they look nothing like the original which I believe is a bypass type(a small amount of water circulates always) does anyone have some info on a replacement thermostat???? Or napa part number-Thanks

My water pump came with it's gaskets. I got my thermostat from Andy Bernbaum. It is different, at least mine was. The actual thermostat was atop of a tube similar to how one for a Ford 8n tractor is. My thermostat housing was the original cast iron one and was quite tall similar to as pictured.

1950thermostathousing.jpg

46 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok wensday question.....why is there only 1 lock on the passenger door and not on the drivers???? Lol .....school me

Common practice back then, and sometimes also the law, to exit on the non-traffic side when parked in town. Lock driver's door from inside, slide across the seat and exit the passenger side, close door and lock it. That's also why they changed to column shift, and under dash park brake, with the B2 series... to make it easier to slide out the other side. 

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

Common practice back then, and sometimes also the law, to exit on the non-traffic side when parked in town. Lock driver's door from inside, slide across the seat and exit the passenger side, close door and lock it. That's also why they changed to column shift, and under dash park brake, with the B2 series... to make it easier to slide out the other side. 

Thanks Merle but how do u lock the drivers door ????? Man I feel embarrassed asking ....Steve

On 10/17/2017 at 6:21 PM, 5027 steve said:

Yea I just googled it and can't find A hard copy just a pdf and I'm a book kind of guy.....Thanks

Normally can find them on Epay.

13 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok mine doesn't stay up so more work for me to clean up the handle assembly. And see if I can get it working Thanks again

Thre is a keeper that may be worn or missing that you'll have to fix/replace

Ok I'm thinking of the hubcaps and wondering if original rims are in this truck because the previous owner put some 15in tires on it to push it around ,the rims measure 16in and the center what I would call bump puts measure somewhere like 9in where the hubcap would go....there is a little numb of the drum the goes on a hole in the rim and that hole looks original and not just drilled out to fit ( I hope I'm making sense) would like a set of original hubcaps but don't want to order if they won't fit....Thanks Steve

22 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok I'm thinking of the hubcaps and wondering if original rims are in this truck because the previous owner put some 15in tires on it to push it around ,the rims measure 16in and the center what I would call bump puts measure somewhere like 9in where the hubcap would go....there is a little numb of the drum the goes on a hole in the rim and that hole looks original and not just drilled out to fit ( I hope I'm making sense) would like a set of original hubcaps but don't want to order if they won't fit....Thanks Steve

Here is an original rim

Painted Rim from B3B.jpg

20171019_072446-2124x1195.jpg

5 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

20171019_072446-2124x1195.jpg

Not original. The originals had clips to attach the caps.  1/2 tons used 16 in rims 3/4 ton were 15 in

How original do you want to keep it, are you going for restoration, trailer queen restomod, or daily driver. If the first option, the only recourse is to locate and buy a set of original rims. Keep in mind that the original rims have centers that are riveted to the rim, this means you will also need to run a inner tube and a boot with the tire you select. If a restomod them you could be open to go with some sort of custom rim. If it's a daily driver then the rim you have is fine. Get some chrome outer rims and baby moons and ride till your heart's content. You seem to be at a point where you need to commit to a direction. One thing for certain is that original hub caps will not mount to the wheels you have. If all you want is the original script on a hub cap, then there should be a vinyl sign company that can create the lettering to put on a set of baby moons. That Ok for a driver but not for a restoration.

17 minutes ago, johnsartain said:

How original do you want to keep it, are you going for restoration, trailer queen restomod, or daily driver. If the first option, the only recourse is to locate and buy a set of original rims. Keep in mind that the original rims have centers that are riveted to the rim, this means you will also need to run a inner tube and a boot with the tire you select. If a restomod them you could be open to go with some sort of custom rim. If it's a daily driver then the rim you have is fine. Get some chrome outer rims and baby moons and ride till your heart's content. You seem to be at a point where you need to commit to a direction. One thing for certain is that original hub caps will not mount to the wheels you have. If all you want is the original script on a hub cap, then there should be a vinyl sign company that can create the lettering to put on a set of baby moons. That Ok for a driver but not for a restoration.

I've got tubeless radials on both my 46 and 48 with no problems. 

Are the wheels riveted or welded? If they are riveted and you're running tubeless(and totally without a tube), you're very lucky they are staying up. There have been some people who have had luck welding in the rivets or welding the centers to the rims, but there is a risk of balance problems and weakening of the rim. Is it possible this may be what you have? If your rims are riveted it will be obvious when you look at the back of the rim as you will see the steel rivet head holding the center to the rim.

21 minutes ago, johnsartain said:

Are the wheels riveted or welded? If they are riveted and you're running tubeless(and totally without a tube), you're very lucky they are staying up. There have been some people who have had luck welding in the rivets or welding the centers to the rims, but there is a risk of balance problems and weakening of the rim. Is it possible this may be what you have? If your rims are riveted it will be obvious when you look at the back of the rim as you will see the steel rivet head holding the center to the rim.

They are factory wheels I believe all are riveted. I'm sure they haven't been modified from stock. Just sand blasted and repainted. 

It's totally possible that the paint or powder coat is thick enough and has them sealed, eventually they will leak and the rivets will be to blame. It may only be a slow leak but a leak none the less.