Favorite shop chairs

pflaming

Today I started back to my shop to continue my recovery from knee replacement. I'm not back yet but finally on the way. So today I went to the shop and dusted off my recliner, it felt so good to rest a while in the old chair. Show us your shop thrones. 

IMG_1453.JPG

I usually use a 5 gal bucket, solid side up.  High enough my knees don't suffer, low enough to work on stuff.  Recently bought a roll-around shop stool from Harbor Freight - works great.

• Like 1

I second the roll-around shop stool with the hydraulic height adjustment, use it all the time in my shop. For $20 on sale I can also highly recommend it. For lounging I have an old Desk Sergeants chair rescued from a dumpster. 

chairshop.jpg

Edited by linus6948

7 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

Recently bought a roll-around shop stool from Harbor Freight - works great.

Mine did too until I pushed it backwards and it stopped on a 1/4-20 nut while the rest of the stool and me continued eastbound.

I now try to go forward.

Only time chairs show up in my shop is when I bring the lawn furniture in for the winter.  Then, during the winter, I often sit on said chairs and wonder why I don't keep a chair in there  :huh:

Since I got my lift years ago I really have little need of a butt platform....I have two short seats with wheels that was ideal for doing body work alongside the car....now I just run the car to the comfortable height, easy on my eyes, neck, back and about anything else you can think of.  I have two chairs in the machine shop.  They there for when company comes by and if very hot out, we sit there, drink a bit of coffee in the comfort of AC....also got a roll around metal work table that stores under my work bench that is the right height for building carbs and other smaller devices as needed while seated.  

I use a plastic milk crate. There are a couple of breaks in it from standing on it, so from time to time my seated position is made most uncomfortable due to its painful pincer movements. I really need to snag another one. My friend has a restaurant so when I need one he gives me one and I exchange the one I have and he returns it with the rest. I also have a couple of metal ones but they're just for lookin at. They are no where near as comfy. Plus of you stand on them on cement and lean forward they have a nasty tendency to slide out from under me. Usually resulting in me doing a faceplant followed by a cascade of profanity   :)

John

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

not bragging.....just am happy I have a hoist...and try to relate to folks here just how much more handy they are than a shirt pocket...overall for the low cost these thing sell for...you dollars ahead in the ease of maintenance...pays for itself quickly, don' t believe me...ask your knees after a day crawling in and out from under a car....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

not bragging.....just am happy I have a hoist...and try to relate to folks here just how much more handy they are than a shirt pocket...overall for the low cost these thing sell for...you dollars ahead in the ease of maintenance...pays for itself quickly, don' t believe me...ask your knees after a day crawling in and out from under a car....

You have me sold. I've looked into one several times, but in  a 32 X 18 shop, it's just too tight, even with 10' walls and cathedral ceiling.  It would be like putting a room dead center of the building. I've been at this hobby now for about eight years. In that time I built my truck two times and now at 80% on the suburban. So an old lazy boy is a welcome friend. 

I have learned an entirely new discipline, made a lot of friends, and through my quick mouth lost a couple which I regret. I just finished reading a book on Seabuisquit the race horse. Howard, his owner, got his start selling Buicks, that is another interesting story in a story.  

Sorry for straying but it is how I feel tonight. 

Paul flaming

IMG_8393.JPG

yes a lift takes up room....but just a tad more than the car that is sitting on it for maintenance...get the 4 post which will self jack onto a set of casters and roll it in and out as you see fit...but seriously, if you have the car in the middle of the shop for work..it is not much more for the lift to be there.  park a car on top and one below...you now have a driver kept indoors....a project car that can be lowered for access when you feel like turning a wrench or doing a bit of body work...the argument at that they take up too much room is invalid for in fact, they literally double your space.

Now I wish I had 12' walls, then I could double deck, great benefit. With 10' walls and cathedral ceiling which is another 4.6" at the peak, I'm not sure double decking would be possible. Need to figure that out.

Oh and Hi Tim, been a while, too long. 

I went to the shop, my suburban's height is 67"  so I may have  the height required.  Drive it in the hoist, hoist it up and have a clear floor to drain oil in another car or. . . . This is very interesting. 

Edited by pflaming

13 foot ceiling...I run my mini vans up full height with no clearance problems roof of vehicle to ceiling.  All of my old cars have been on the lift also with no problem.  Properly centered in your shop with the roof design you have...depending on the pitch of your roof and width of the shop...you could easily determine the height available.....maybe exercise your brain a bit with pythagorean theorem.  Use it or lose it....!