53 Cranbrook Drain Plug

Klinestine

Have a 53 Hydrive that was running when i bought it 2 years ago, but kinda sat ever since. I finally fixed the issue that was the reason it sat so long and went to change all the oil out this weekend and hopefully start it back up and found two new issues. One is that the washer the PO used for the oil drain pan doesn't even have enough copper to make a penny, which is probably why the engine loved to leak oil. But because this thing is so jerry-rigged, i have no idea what size washer i need to replace it with. the thing i pulled out was a paper thin circle that's all kinds of bent up. 

Also, the PO went old school and cut the oil with kerosene. And its been sitting in there for the past 2 years. So I assume that my oil pan is going to be super clean. but do I need to worry about anything else being messed up now?

Since the trans shares oil with the engine, I would think the whole batch wants to be nice and warm to drain properly.  I think I remember 10.5 quarts was the fill capacity.  What are you planning to use for oil?  In 53 the original spec was likely to single weight non detergent.  Is there a separate drain on the trans?.. You probably want to drain that also to get as much of the kero- oil mix out. Is there a special process to refill?  I don't think you just want to put 10 QTS in the engine then try to start it with all that oil in the crank case.  May All Par site has some wisdoms on the hydrive.  Good luck!

Greg G, 

I have the manual and read it through twice. Rotated the housing till I could pull the drain plug on that and it all came out like its supposed to. And that just a basic 1/2" copper washer I can get anywhere. I have the option filter, so its 11 qts. Spec was 30W. so I'm using 10W30 for now to see how it works out. Maybe run it for a couple months and send it off to Bob is the Oil Guy for an analysis. If it seems to run nice, that would be perfect, because its the same thing I use in my jeep and I can just buy it in bulk. between those oil guzzlers, I may just start buying it in 55 gallon drums!

And the manual just says pour it all in and idle on hi until my oil psi gets to about 20. so that should be the easy part.

I would not use 10w30 as it will have detergents and other additives that might not be good for engine and trans.  Think it would be better to use straight 30 non detergent especially with the kerosene in the last batch.  I would put in at least 3.5 to four QTS before starting the engine.  Doesn't seem right starting it then adding oil.  

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/066/Cover.htm

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

From what I read on from the factory manual I have and the one you shared, I pour all 11 qts into the oil pan. Then, once you turn it on and the motor is turning, the pump will pump oil into the drive until it reaches capacity. There is no other way to get oil into the trans. 

From what I've read on the 100's of post, no one is every able to decide between a multigrade, an old straight 30 oil, or the Rotella oil. And then there is the whole fight over adding ZDDP. So I picked one, and if it isn't running right or I'm having issues, I'll switch it up. Doing a swap isn't that hard.

But it doesn't matter either way if i can't put the drain plug back on the oil pan. 

I would think you could take the plug to Napa or similar and get a new plug and washer.  Failing that get one the next size up and redtill and tap the pan to fit.  At the worst pull the pan and have a new bung put in, even if you need to weld the original closed.