Gates 42554 water pump

toddbracik

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oumhepqixbxhirm/AADUrLC8kU_nIwHP_1rtqJ-Va?dl=0

Hey guys, I just bought this  water pump on amazon. The shaft turns really smooth and it actually seems to be a well built pump. My only concern is this hole in the side of the pump that exposes the shaft. Could it be possible that someone on the line forgot to tap it and put a grease fitting in?

I saw these pumps on eBay, one is for the 230 and the second one is for the 218. They seem to have the hole on the same side. I have a new pump on mine but I haven't checked if it has that perforation, I will have to check once I get home. Will update this post. 

230pump.jpg

Gates 42554.jpg

1 hour ago, Silverdome said:

That's the weep hole. It is put there intentionally to let you know when your pump is about to fail.

Thanks Silverdome! I have a grease fitting on my other 2 water pumps this one does not obviously. That is why I asked.

1 hour ago, Cebreros said:

I saw these pumps on eBay, one is for the 230 and the second one is for the 218. They seem to have the hole on the same side. I have a new pump on mine but I haven't checked if it has that perforation, I will have to check once I get home. Will update this post. 

230pump.jpg

Gates 42554.jpg

how is one 218 and one 230? I thought they were the same pump including the long 6s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The new gates wp have the seal bearing installed and has eliminated the two bonze bushings.   You need to use a water proof grease get a motor boat properller grease since it is waterproof.  Do not put to much in the WP becasue you will blowout the seal just a small amount to force some grease into the shaft.

Rich Hartung

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 12:21 PM, Young Ed said:

how is one 218 and one 230? I thought they were the same pump including the long 6s

They more than likely do, excuse my ignorance (:

haha

• 2 weeks later...

Gates doesn’t make anything all they do is buy products from other people and put it in their box. That water pump is made by a company in-china  then they distributed to everybodyMost of the supplies you buy for your car made by companies and then the big company just put it in there box. 

• Like 1