Leave it or paint

Jj1981

I just got my new rear springs and will be installing soon lowering it an inch or two will it make it handle that much better I like the high look better but if it makes it handle that much better I might think about dropping it a little.  the new springs are 5 leaf so I hope it might ride a little softer.  Neil

14 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Why?

Because he may like this.

13 hours ago, Jj1981 said:

Personal taste I guess just a look I like

Your truck and lowered is kool too.

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Just to make you mad, Don. It's his truck. Why should you care how he builds it?

Yup, gotta agree.

11 hours ago, billschwindt said:

Paint it , rusty looks lazy & cheap. you asked I answered..

That's highly "subjective", and the "patina" look is much sot after in many circles.Some go to great lengths to achieve this look artificially, so not necessarily the "lazy" approach..

Just a "caveat", do not necessarily disagree with you as I like the fresh paint look, except these old trucks look "Fake" with some modern Base Clear jobs...

5 hours ago, Jj1981 said:

I like the stance but a little to low living in the country can't get that low but I do like the patina but I'm also a fan of nice paint just can't decide

Work on the mechanical parts of the truck to make it comfortable and reliable. By the time you get everything else done, you will have plenty of time to decide what to do with the paint. 

I am leaving paint and bodywork till last. By then, I will have all the bugs worked out and everything set up the way I like it. 

• Like 1

I'm always amazed when I happen onto one of these type threads i.e., What color should I use or should I chrome the bumpers, etc.

It is your truck (car, boat, motorcycle, airplane) so do what you want with it.   If you are married then you might inquire as to what the missus might like.  Be prepared to do it her way if you ask.  If you do it differently, it might get messy.

Otherwise, have right at it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unpainted classic car: To me it means there is still time to dream, let the stories of the old paint/dents speak and bring out the passion of a "car guy"

Unpainted classic truck: To me it means much the same, except the classic trucks were built for hard work. Hard work comes with scars.

My truck was 20 feet from the crusher when I pulled it from the line-up. I built it to race. And race it I did...150 mph worth of land speed racing.

When I met Steph, I cleaned it up, painted it all pretty and drove my bride home in it.

If I've learned anything over the years is that its Ok to change your mind.

So many things in life are temporary, just do what you gotta do, do it well, and have fun.

48D  

• Like 1