Head Removal

Mick Blake

Mine lifted off without any problem, spray some WD40 around the studs. If you attempt to wedge something between the block and head be careful not to gouge the mating surfac.

With spark plugs in,  ignition coil unplugged and all bolts loose, crank it over with the starter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, _shel_ny said:

And get a good grip when you lift. About 35 pounds.

If the engine is still in the car, I  use my engine crane to lift up the head once it is loose.. Bending over the fender and lifting up a heavy cylinder head can really put a major strain on the old back:eek:. I also use it when placing the head back on the engine. I can lower it down nice and easy and believe me, your back muscles and joints will appreciate it.

John R

An old friend of mine had the same issue trying to lift the heavy head off his engine recently... so he made himself some lifting handles from old spark plugs. He's always coming up with ideas for home-made tools, and he usually makes a second set for me to have at my shed too.

Head lifter tools.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2