Torque?

Don Jordan

I just got my engine back from the machine shop (long story) and I'm trying to put it together.  I have the service manual but I can't  find the proper torque settings.  I have the flywheel at 60 ft.lbs.  Can't find numbers for clutch, intake/exhaust, water pump.  It could be just tighten them down - I don't know.

also, in passing, I bought a cherry picker from Harbor Freight and it won't get high enough to get the engine in.  also (way off topic) it was 106° in my garage.

thanks,

We took the front wheels off of my '46 and set the drums on 2" thick oak blocks to get it low enough to get engine over the grill/ radiator support. These cars really stand up tall when you pull the engine don't they?

But that 106 was that "dry heat"  that not so bad right?

Did a quick search and found these from previous postings:

Clutch to flywheel bolts  (5/16-18): 15-20 ft-lbs

Water pump body to block 25-30 ft lbs

by pass elbow to pump body 10-15 ft lbs

fan to hub 10-15 ft lbs

intake/exhaust manifold 15 to 20 ft lbs

7 hours ago, Don Jordan said:

I just got my engine back from the machine shop (long story) and I'm trying to put it together.  I have the service manual but I can't  find the proper torque settings.  I have the flywheel at 60 ft.lbs.  Can't find numbers for clutch, intake/exhaust, water pump.  It could be just tighten them down - I don't know.

also, in passing, I bought a cherry picker from Harbor Freight and it won't get high enough to get the engine in.  also (way off topic) it was 106° in my garage.

thanks,

Don,generally speaking,Harbor Freight/China's Outlet Mall, is where you buy tools to loan out to relatives,or otherwise plan to only use once.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

quite right.  I went in today and asked if I could return it and they said I could.  I told them it was already assembled; could I bring it in that way -  no problem.  I'm using it now to keep  the engine off the floor.  when it's all back together I'll rent a cherry picker and take the Harbor Freight one back. 

1 hour ago, Don Jordan said:

quite right.  I went in today and asked if I could return it and they said I could.  I told them it was already assembled; could I bring it in that way -  no problem.  I'm using it now to keep  the engine off the floor.  when it's all back together I'll rent a cherry picker and take the Harbor Freight one back. 

Don,Christmas and Dec 31 is coming up soon,which means tool supply outfits will be trying to dump year end inventory to avoid taxes. You might want to start checking the Northern Tool,Eastwood,Sears,Tool Planet,and other web sites for year end sales on a decent cherry picker. Maybe even check Sears now because they are having financial difficulty and closing a lot of stores.

10 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Don,Christmas and Dec 31 is coming up soon,which means tool supply outfits will be trying to dump year end inventory to avoid taxes. You might want to start checking the Northern Tool,Eastwood,Sears,Tool Planet,and other web sites for year end sales on a decent cherry picker. Maybe even check Sears now because they are having financial difficulty and closing a lot of stores.

FWIW a couple of years ago when I was looking at stacking another drawer unit on my small 1970s Penncraft roll around (remember when JC Penny's sold tools like Sears?). I looked on line for something that would fit at a good price. Turns out Sears showed a Craftsman unit that seemed to fit the bill. So down to the local Sears I went, first time in years and years and years (the local hardware store carried Craftsman wrenches, etc. so that is where I'd been getting those). The in store experience was horrible and I almost walked out without buying it.

To top it off, a couple of months after I bought the drawer unit I was in a Harbor Freight and I looked over their equivalent offerings. Turned out the Harbor Freight one seemed to be higher quality and I wished I'd gotten it instead. Sad to think that a discount tool place not known for the quality of their goods had a nicer, better built unit for basically the same price as Sears Craftsman. And the shopping experience, while low end, was vastly better than Sears.

It doesn't surprise me that Sears is nearly out of business, only that they are still in business.

I hope that the company that bought the Craftsman brand off them does okay by it even if it does mean that there really is only one company making all the consumer, "pro-sumer" and professional tools based in this country (Stanley, Black & Decker, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Bostitch, Mac Tools, etc. and now Craftsman). Seems like Snap-On is the only brand not under the Stanley Black & Decker company's umbrella.

In the absence of a specified torque, one can default to a generic table that indexes the size, pitch and grade of fasteners as a go-to.  These are readily available in Chilton's manuals for one source, the internet by typing "default fastener torque chart"  here is just one example of what you will find......read the bottom disclaimer....be sure you know the grade of bolt you are working with.

image.png.1776d9bc1de297706a341a3a37fdf1f4.png

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

FWIW a couple of years ago when I was looking at stacking another drawer unit on my small 1970s Penncraft roll around (remember when JC Penny's sold tools like Sears?). I looked on line for something that would fit at a good price. Turns out Sears showed a Craftsman unit that seemed to fit the bill. So down to the local Sears I went, first time in years and years and years (the local hardware store carried Craftsman wrenches, etc. so that is where I'd been getting those). The in store experience was horrible and I almost walked out without buying it.

To top it off, a couple of months after I bought the drawer unit I was in a Harbor Freight and I looked over their equivalent offerings. Turned out the Harbor Freight one seemed to be higher quality and I wished I'd gotten it instead. Sad to think that a discount tool place not known for the quality of their goods had a nicer, better built unit for basically the same price as Sears Craftsman. And the shopping experience, while low end, was vastly better than Sears.

It doesn't surprise me that Sears is nearly out of business, only that they are still in business.

I hope that the company that bought the Craftsman brand off them does okay by it even if it does mean that there really is only one company making all the consumer, "pro-sumer" and professional tools based in this country (Stanley, Black & Decker, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Bostitch, Mac Tools, etc. and now Craftsman). Seems like Snap-On is the only brand not under the Stanley Black & Decker company's umbrella.

I typically buy used snap on. Even used they are still a cut above most others. I do have quite a few SK tools too. For a while I'd bet the wrenches were made in the same place as Craftsman. The new stuff seems far better.

Tool-Brand-Behemoths-Tool-Companies-Who-

Edited by Young Ed

49 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I typically buy used snap on. Even used they are still a cut above most others. I do have quite a few SK tools too. For a while I'd bet the wrenches were made in the same place as Craftsman. The new stuff seems far better.

Tool-Brand-Behemoths-Who-Own-and-Make-Mo

wish I could read this chart...blows up blurry.......Is Utica tool on there anywhere?   

19 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

wish I could read this chart...blows up blurry.......Is Utica tool on there anywhere?   

hopefully it's bigger now. Didn't see Utica tool on there though

this company has been around for a spell....located just up the road from where I used to live, a couple of the guys I worked with would buy the seconds (mostly cosmetic imperfections that did not really lessen the quality) and sell them at work for the wrench turners to use and abuse...that way when one was dropped and bounced off a ships deck/hull into the drink..it was less tragic loss. I still have a couple of these around the shop.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/utica-tool.html

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The DIY'er engine hoists sold today are for pulling Kia's/Honda's and other small modern day car engines.

Thsee week-ender hoists are also very light duty.

29 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

this company has been around for a spell....located just up the road from where I used to live, a couple of the guys I worked with would buy the seconds (mostly cosmetic imperfections that did not really lessen the quality) and sell them at work for the wrench turners to use and abuse...that way when one was dropped and bounced off a ships deck/hull into the drink..it was less tragic loss. I still have a couple of these around the shop.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/utica-tool.html

Just 1 tool of theirs in my box but it's my go to for adjustable wrenches. Does all my transmission fluid level checks. 

IMAG0119.jpg