Bending Plug Side/Ground Electrode

Bingster

This seems like a no-brainer, but I was wondering if anybody has an easy way to bend the ground electrode of a spark plug. I've watched you-tube videos and they all just push it against something hard.  Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough. One guy put the plug in a vise and hit the electrode with a hammer.   I just thought that somebody might have devised some brilliant, easy way of doing it.

Hey Bing,

Most auto parts stores have a spark plug gapping tool. It usually has a slotted part on it to bend the electrode. A little bend goes along way when gapping the plug. Just check on the parts store web site  and get a picture of one. They are usually about the size of a silver dollar.

Joe

• Like 1

I have this tool but I thought that the round bending hole is only to bend it back if you go too far.  If I need a .30 gap, my plug outta the box is .050. So I have to close the gap, but I don't see how the tool can close the gap, just increase it.

25 minutes ago, Bingster said:

I have this tool but I thought that the round bending hole is only to bend it back if you go too far.  If I need a .30 gap, my plug outta the box is .050. So I have to close the gap, but I don't see how the tool can close the gap, just increase it.

The U shaped slots on the tool are what's used to bend the electrode, the wire loops are for checking the gap. One more thing never bang your spark plug on any thing it will possibly crack the porcelain and cause it to misfire.

a.jpg

Edited by Silverdome
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bingster said:

One guy put the plug in a vise and hit the electrode with a hammer. 

You probably have the gap tool that's like a ramp. I just hold them in my hand and tap them on something hard to tighten the gap. Then you can fine tune it with your tool.

gap tool.jpg

Edited by MackTheFinger
content

My first thought when I read your post was that if you have purchased new plugs that came with a 50 thou. gap and need 30 thou., you bought the wrong spark plugs for the application!

They Almost always come new set  at close to the proper gap for the heat range and application of that plug.

Occasionally you find one that got hit in storage and the gap is somewhat closed.

Just my experiences.

DJ

My R45's that I got from Rock Auto were gapped pretty close to .035" which is the correct gap for resistor plugs. I don't know why yours would be gapped at .050".

Let's watch a video on SPGing...

• Thanks 1

One of my brothers showed me that if you're ever broken down on the road with not enough tools the thickness of one matchbook cover will get you by for points gap and two matchbook cover thicknesses is close enough for spark plug gap. If you don't smoke or carry a Zippo just eyeball 'em. You may be off a thou or three but you'll be able to get down the road. ;)

52 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

One of my brothers showed me that if you're ever broken down on the road with not enough tools the thickness of one matchbook cover will get you by for points gap and two matchbook cover thicknesses is close enough for spark plug gap. If you don't smoke or carry a Zippo just eyeball 'em. You may be off a thou or three but you'll be able to get down the road. ;)

On points,  seems like back in the day, the box they came in worked for most applications.  

I had a 57Sportster with  a Fairbanks Morse magneto. They did set a bit closer than the box and it was very particular. If it didn't like the atitude behind your kick it would kick you back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flatie46 said:

On points,  seems like back in the day, the box they came in worked for most applications.  

I had a 57Sportster with  a Fairbanks Morse magneto. They did set a bit closer than the box and it was very particular. If it didn't like the atitude behind your kick it would kick you back.

yeah, the paper box worked, too..and double it for the plugs. A cigarette paper was enough for magnetos, all they needed was to open. If you weren't lucky Sportster kickback was followed by Sportster knee, and that lasts a lifetime!!  :)

Just noticed, if you're in Russellville, Ar you're in the middle of some of the best riding in the country!! 

Edited by MackTheFinger
adding content
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

yeah, the paper box worked, too..and double it for the plugs. A cigarette paper was enough for magnetos, all they needed was to open. If you weren't lucky Sportster kickback was followed by Sportster knee, and that lasts a lifetime!!  :)

Just noticed, if you're in Russellville, Ar you're in the middle of some of the best riding in the country!! 

I'm in Russellville Tn. Pretty good riding here, I love the 2 lane back roads and around the mountains. Not far from Deal's gap sometimes referred to as The Dragon. ( 318 curves in like 11miles ) Also close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is pretty darned awesome. 40mph most of the way across it, very little traffic most of the time, very scenic and because of the elevation a little cooler. Pretty nice to ride during the summer. I've always thought if I had a P15 convertible it would be an awesome trip also.

Yea, that old bike got me a few times. Had high compression pistons and the mag. Bad combination, due to the fact magnetos don't make much spark at kicking speed. The high compression pistons wouldn't allow you to spin it over very fast. The kicker assembly's on the early sportys was pretty sloppy even when in good order. The '72 up was a better set up, it fit the early bikes. I did not find this out till much, much later in ownership. That bike would fly, put a brand new 99 sporty to shame and eat 1000cc iron heads for lunch. That bike sure taught me a lot. Just like my Plymouth, they both taught me that you would be much better off financially to buy a classic already done. But then again, you wouldn't have all the memories and cool stories for the rocking chair days.

4 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I'm in Russellville Tn. Pretty good riding here, I love the 2 lane back roads and around the mountains. Not far from Deal's gap sometimes referred to as The Dragon. ( 318 curves in like 11miles ) Also close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is pretty darned awesome. 40mph most of the way across it, very little traffic most of the time, very scenic and because of the elevation a little cooler. Pretty nice to ride during the summer. I've always thought if I had a P15 convertible it would be an awesome trip also.

Love riding in that area. I used to get down to Asheville once or twice per year. I'd ride my bike down there whenever I could and take a couple extra days to go riding around the area. 

• Like 1

Same here. Used to take the RV and tow my bike behind and stay a Elkmont  campground for a week or so. Ride the Dragon, the Cherola Skyway, highway 411 to Clingman's Dome. Of course when you finish the ride, supper at The Old Mill reseraunt. Damn that is some good food.

Joe

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:05 AM, soth122003 said:

Same here. Used to take the RV and tow my bike behind and stay a Elkmont  campground for a week or so. Ride the Dragon, the Cherola Skyway, highway 411 to Clingman's Dome. Of course when you finish the ride, supper at The Old Mill reseraunt. Damn that is some good food.

Joe

Yep, The Old Mill is hard to beat. Always full up, I guess that's the sign of good food.