Engine dies when I stomp the gas

When the engine hasn't been allowed to get up to operating temp, the engine dies if I stomp the gas (clutch in).  If I let it get up to operating temperature, it doesn't occur.  It also doesn't occur if I slowly increase the RPMs, only when it is sudden.  Thoughts?

If someone is not use to a carburated engine, this might seem like a problem. To me it sounds normal for a engine as old as yours is.

With modern computerized fuel injection the computer senses and controls the air/fuel mixture, along with tighter machined tolerances, you notice very little difference when a engine is cold or warm.

With old engines you need the hand operated choke to richen the fuel, you decide not some computer.

Then these engines need to get the metal hot, it expands and seals up the engine, possibly increasing compression, vacuum . It is just normal that it would run better after it was warmed up.

My last ford work truck, 1987 E250, 351 HO with a 500 cfm holley  when you kicked on the choke and fired her up in the morning, that fast idle and rich fuel mixture .... I AM WOMAN HEAR ME RAWR! Man she sounded good with the dual exhaust and ready for work, kick off the choke to early, she would fall flat on her face and die.

My 230 engine has instant throttle response even when cold.  Sounds like your leather accelerator plunger is dried out.  if you pull it out and soak it over night in some oil it might swell back up again and work properly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reg is in Cali, that in itself is another factor...climate changes how things run and in warmer climates you'll notice this issue a lot less...where I am in Canada...we need to run for 15 mins darn near 6 months of the year...even a few mornings back it was 9 deg Celsius...a few minutes was needed

What do your spark plugs look like, where is your timing set?  Where do you have your acc. pump linkage set?  Is your choke automatic or manual? Any black smoke at the tail pipe? Have you done a vacuum gauge reading?

What air filter are you running? What carb are you running?