230 Flathead

Branded

I'm going to start searching for a 230  engine for future use. Other than having an 8 bolt flange on the rear of the crankshaft what are some othe ways of verification. This will be used in my 49  Wayfarer Convertible, I have noticed a external hair line crack in the water jacket near the starter. Doesn't leak enough to make a wet spot,  just enough to make a stain.

If the stamped engine number has been removed you can determine if the engine is a 218 or 230 by removing the small pipe plug over #6 cylinder and measuring the stroke with a piece of wire.  218 = 4.375" and 230 = 4.625"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kansascoronetguy said:

r u actively looking for the 230?

Yes I am, weighing my options on finding a block that isn't cracked and rebuilding a 230 or possibly going  with a later model 318. I'm leaning towards staying with a 230, I like the flatheads.

Edited by Branded

Located a 230 engine and Poweflight 2 speed automatic out of a 1954 Plymouth. Motor and trans is all together. Anyone able to tell me if this engines crankshafthas the 8 bolt flange to accept a fluid coupling from my 49 Dodge. I don't want to ask the fella to break the engine  and transmission apart and waste his time if I can't use it.

Owner of the says it's a 230 engine but from what I've found Plymouth didn't make a 230 until 1955.

Edited by Branded

18 minutes ago, Branded said:

Located a 230 engine and Poweflight 2 speed automatic out of a 1954 Plymouth. Motor and trans is all together. Anyone able to tell me if this engines crankshafthas the 8 bolt flange to accept a fluid coupling from my 49 Dodge. I don't want to ask the fella to break the engine  and transmission apart and waste his time if I can't use it.

Owner of the says it's a 230 engine but from what I've found Plymouth didn't make a 230 until 1955.

230 came out midway through the 54 run. I'd guess good chance one with a powerflite is also a 230

look for a diamond stamped on the 54 model engine number...if there, it is a 230, if not a 218...this is the only year Plymouth had two L6 engines of different sizes...it became the standard single L6 in 55 till end run and returned to standard engine identification number....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Branded said:

Anyone able to tell me if this engines crankshafthas the 8 bolt flange to accept a fluid coupling from my 49 Dodge.

I only know what I read and sometimes cant trust the source or my memory ...:rolleyes:

Pretty sure that all 230 cranks will have the 8 bolt flange. Waiting to see if I guessed correctly!

• Thanks 1

I have a P28 engine (1956) 230 with a 6 bolt flange, just to throw that mongrel into the kennel.  Are you certain the 54 set up is power flyte and not a hydrive?  Cuz that's a horse of a different color also. Just more fun stuff you find out about these different setups. What was the last year for fluid drive??

8 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

look for a diamond stamped on the 54 model engine number...if there, it is a 230, if not a 218...this is the only year Plymouth had two L6 engines of different sizes...it became the standard single L6 in 55 till end run and returned to standard engine identification number....

It does have a diamond stamped on it, so I suppose this would be a 230.

7 hours ago, greg g said:

I have a P28 engine (1956) 230 with a 6 bolt flange, just to throw that mongrel into the kennel.  Are you certain the 54 set up is power flyte and not a hydrive?  Cuz that's a horse of a different color also. Just more fun stuff you find out about these different setups. What was the last year for fluid drive??

No I'm not certain it's a power flyte just going by what the seller has told me, he's going to pull the transmission and check the crankshaft flange and get back with me.

8 hours ago, greg g said:

not sure but if we're talking plymouths they never had fluid drive. Just the Hydrive setup in 53/54

These old cars don't always have the original motor in them. If you have not done it yet, I would suggest to have the seller send the  stamped motor number to confirm what it is and then you will know what it came out off. You would still need to verify the stroke using the #6 plug method mentioned earlier as it may have started life as a 218 and someone replaced the crank to make it a 230.   I have seen Plymouth motors in dodge trucks for example.

I have a extra 230 that I could probably part with.  I will be driving to Kansas next week...

7 hours ago, Veemoney said:

These old cars don't always have the original motor in them. If you have not done it yet, I would suggest to have the seller send the  stamped motor number to confirm what it is and then you will know what it came out off. You would still need to verify the stroke using the #6 plug method mentioned earlier as it may have started life as a 218 and someone replaced the crank to make it a 230.   I have seen Plymouth motors in dodge trucks for example.

My 49 Wayfarer has D30 stamped on the block, this denotes 230 from my research. I'm assuming it's the  original block because my car was titled with the block number. When I bought the car 2 years ago and brought the car to Indiana I had the car titled using the body serial number just in case the engine was ever changed.

7 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I have a extra 230 that I could probably part with.  I will be driving to Kansas next week...

Can you tell me what the stamping is on the block. I'm going to look at a engine Friday if I can't use it due to cracks I might be interested.

I'll send you a PM

Thanks Dave