Safety glass

John32369

When did auto makers start using safety glass in cars?  The reason I ask is the windshield of my barn find 46 Desoto is cracked and needs replacing and I was just wondering if Mopar was using it back then too.

Your side glass will be safety glass, too, if it comes to that.  Chrysler was the first to put safety glass all around in all its models, but don't recall off-hand when that was, but it definitely includes post-war models. 

Don't know when Mopar started using it,but Ford started using it in 1928,IIRC. Henry Ford had a friend get involved in an accident and he went through the windshield,which pretty much shredded him,and it horrified Ford so much he insisted all Fords after that have laminated glass in the windows.

I have read that Ford was the first to use it as a standard item,but that might not be right.

Safety glass was standard for the windshield on my '33 Plymouth. Not sure when Chrysler started that, maybe after Ford, but a '46 car of any make would have safety glass for the windshield.

In 1933, safety glass for the other windows was optional. I'd be surprised if any glass in a '46 of any make wasn't safety glass.

My '33 did not have safety glass in the side and back windows when I got it but it does now. Anyone who restores, or just fixes up, a car with plate glass has rocks in their heads if they don't replace that with safety glass.

1 minute ago, TodFitch said:

Anyone who restores, or just fixes up, a car with plate glass has rocks in their heads if they don't replace that with safety glass.

I have new glass for the 48, 51, 52 and each side and rear glass where flat application was possible has been changed out with modern tempered glass....only cost a dime more....

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I have new glass for the 48, 51, 52 and each side and rear glass where flat application was possible has been changed out with modern tempered glass....only cost a dime more....

If you can get tempered glass made for your car's side and back windows, that would match new car standards.

I am now trying to remember if the local glass shop I went to when I got my windows made was not able to do tempered glass or if I did not want to wait for it. Safety glass can be cut and installed on the spot (assuming the shop has some in stock). But for tempered they need to cut the glass, verify fit, etc. then send the glass out to be heat treated to make it into tempered glass. That can take a day or two and if they are doing the install two visits to the shop with your old car.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TodFitch said:

If you can get tempered glass made for your car's side and back windows, that would match new car standards.

I am now trying to remember if the local glass shop I went to when I got my windows made was not able to do tempered glass or if I did not want to wait for it. Safety glass can be cut and installed on the spot (assuming the shop has some in stock). But for tempered they need to cut the glass, verify fit, etc. then send the glass out to be heat treated to make it into tempered glass. That can take a day or two and if they are doing the install two visits to the shop with your old car.

Thanks! I didn't know that. I have always just assumed tempered glass and safety glass were the same thing.

TodFitch and all others.  The tempered glass is a two stage process...first you cutter will cut and polish the edges...then it gets sent out for firing (heat process)....once tempered it is shipped to you...on the average, the process is about 14-21 days....the closer you buy around the dates of the larger car shows,  the odds of added days apply....on my bz cp all glass in my car is a smoke gray to match the theme of the vehicle, flat rear glass makes this an easy application.  My retailer has done several cars for me, all glass is cut from the NAG patterns....all I do is pick the color, process, pay and walk away.

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

TodFitch and all others.  The tempered glass is a two stage process...first you cutter will cut and polish the edges...then it gets sent out for firing (heat process)....once tempered it is shipped to you...on the average, the process is about 14-21 days....the closer you buy around the dates of the larger car shows,  the odds of added days apply....on my bz cp all glass in my car is a smoke gray to match the theme of the vehicle, flat rear glass makes this an easy application.  My retailer has done several cars for me, all glass is cut from the NAG patterns....all I do is pick the color, process, pay and walk away.

Years ago, I worked at a glass shop, we did residential and commercial buildings, not automobiles. Everything you say is true. For broken windows, we would make patterns or get exact measurements, once a week a delivery truck showed up and took the patterns, between 1 or 2 weeks the new glass was delivered.

Tempered would be way better then safety glass. I just kinda thought it was cost prohibitive and out of reach.

Since I need to replace all my glass, will check into tempered. Thanks for the tip.

My son's 52 Plymouth needed a windshield.  I had a friend that worked at a local glass shop.  He took an 18 wheeler windshield he had laying in the shop that was chipped on a corner and cut the Plymouth windshield from it. Worked out great, tint was a shade off but you couldn't tell it unless I pointed it out. It was a good cheap fix for teen owned, cheap car.

Safety glazing lecture:  Safety glazing either has to hold together when cracked, or break in many small pieces, per certain federal standards.  Tempered glass is safety glazing.  Laminated glass is safety glazing.  Some plastic sheets qualify as safety glazing.   Safety glass includes laminated and tempered.  End of lecture.  

• Like 1