List of spares to carry on a long trip

Redmond49

I was at the WPC Club national meet this week. Next year's event is in Chattanooga, TN, which is all the way across the country. Someone made a bold proposal that some of us should caravan from the Pacific NW to Tennesee.

What sort of spares would you bring with you? In a club coupe, the trunk can get full pretty quickly!

• Redmond49 changed the title to List of spares to carry on a long trip

I carry a spare distributer all set up, complete and ready to drop in, a fan Genny belt, set of pregapped spark plugs, a condenser, and cuz I have a strange rear u joint I pack one of those,  Also have a spare head gasket, headlamp switch fuse, a couple fuel filters.  Tool box including torque wrench, fender cover.  I have a floor jack, wheel chock and a jack stand. I bring along my jump charger to power a GPS, and a radio and speakers I have mounted in a small box.  Triple A card and my wife packs her cell phone.  Good spare tire and star lug wrench.  2quarts of oil, some brake fluid,and an empty gas can and a small funnel.  So far, on long treks, I have only needed to replace a broken fan belt.  I also carry a tow strap and two axle straps in case I can help someone else out with a short tow.

Last year we made the WPC meet in Maine with three other cars, 46, 2 49's and a 51, and nobody needed any thing except fuel and oil. We avoided interstates unless they couldn't be avoided.  I put about 1600 miles on during that trip.  Today we did about 220 miles to and from an AACA meet without a hiccup.

Good luck on your preparation and trip.

• Like 2

Have any pics from the WPC proceedings?  

By the way, you can not see the other ocean from Chattanooga, so while its a good shag, there is still quite a bit of America east of there....

Edited by greg g

Oil pump, starter, gennie, dizzy, water pump, carb, and fan belt,

mechanics remote starter, oil and premix, and gas can.

2 spare tires. Assortment of tools and floor jack.

None of these things have budged in the last 5,000 miles or so.....but they give me peace of mind.

Most of it fits behind the factory spare leaving plenty of room in the trunk.

2 minutes ago, medium_jon said:

@greg g: dang. I want to be in your caravan! I'd definitely need to replace my flat rear springs if I had all that in the trunk of our P20

ah......the many returns of the business coupe......room, room and yet more room...and if you get the Dodge bz cp..add two more rooms...

29 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

ah......the many returns of the business coupe......room, room and yet more room...and if you get the Dodge bz cp..add two more rooms...

Maybe that is what I need to haul my photography gear? I can barely get one of my full size light stands in the trunk of a Club Coupe. Thanks for the "tip" @Plymouthy Adams

Dodge bz cp 41-48 is 5'6" to back of trunk, add a bit bore with bumper and gravel shield encumbering you....you will need a retrieving hook for most boxes in the back.......the 41 does not even have the spare tire in your way....it is neatly stored in a curtained alcove behind the driver while there is a locking storage compartment behind the passenger seat separate from the trunk..and lets not forget that L A R G E  package tray

P.A.   

To quantify the differences between the various body styles, I'm listing the trunk cubic feet capacities from the '46 Ross Roy Dodge Data Book;

42.4 - Three-passenger Business Coupe

19    - All Two & Four Door Six-passenger Sedans

17.4 - Seven-passenger Sedan

13    - Six-passenger Club Coupe

Walt

lets see, the average person will take up about 2.5 cu feet.......so we will add a bit more for pizza and chocolate lovers and round up to 3.0.    with the bz cp that is 14 people with a bit left over....:eek:

you can easily see the difference betweenthe Plymouth and Dodge bz cps.  I have mine side by side in the garage...mother and daughter reunion....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Any club coupe has more trunk space than my PD two door (no trunk at all). Behind the rear seat there is room for the jack, lug wrench and a tool roll. In the glove box there is a box with spare light bulbs. On longer trips (>200 mi each way) I'll load a larger tool kit and some extra oil in the rear seat floor area before I load the luggage on top. I also carry Don's tool kit (AAA card and cell phone) at all times even in the new cars. Longest trip I've taken with this set of tools and spares is only about 2000 miles, so I guess your trip from the PNW to Tenn. would be longer. But my general philosophy is that if the car is well maintained I should be able to drive it anywhere without worrying about a break down. And if it is not well maintained then I should get to work on it.

• Like 3

Y'all need to get a truck. I've got plenty of space to carry stuff... ;)

By the way... we are considering going to the WPC in Chattanooga next year. It's a good day drive for me, but we can break it up with with a pit stop to see my Mother in Indianapolis. Maybe we'll see some of you there next summer. 

3 hours ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

P.A.   

To quantify the differences between the various body styles, I'm listing the trunk cubic feet capacities from the '46 Ross Roy Dodge Data Book;

Walt

Anyone else questioning that the club coupe is that much smaller than the sedan??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

P.A.   

Walt

@49D-24BusCpe: Man, I have trunk envy. The 13 cubic feet doesn't cut it for me.