Block numbers

dodgefreak73

Looking for some help to decipher and ID a 25" flathead engine I'm looking at. I do know this is a Canadian engine and am being told by the seller that it is a 1960 251ci but I'd like to confirm the year of this engine. I am almost certain that it is a 251ci as when I looked at the engine we pulled the head and the measurements match those of a 251. The numbers are as follows

ID stamp pad P6D1 - 33657C

Block casting/part number 1402529

Block date stamp E 19 0 and the number arrow is pointing at the #8 

Head casting/part number 1632389

Head date stamp D 11 0

I have tried multiple web searches to try to decipher this but there doesn't seem to be much out there on the Canadian number on these things. This engine is a rebuilt with very low mile on it since the rebuild, it is in really good shape and complete ready to drop in with a very reasonable price. The engine did come out of a car and has the fluid drive bell-housing with the coupler/convertor and clutch as well as a Pertronics 12V ignition system (I don't know if I will actually use this ignition as the points have been very dependable but it comes with the engine). The deal seem way too good to pass up and will be a much less expensive fix for the sick flathead in my Fargo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm not going for a concourse resto so the year of the engine doesn't make a huge difference (plus I plan to keep the one currently in the truck which is the original engine to the truck) this more for my own piece of mind and knowledge.

20884012_10159225185055080_1839318513_o.jpg

The pistons are stamped .030 over the bore was approx 3.465" (which makes sense if std bore is 3.4375" and this is .030 over) the stroke was 4.5" which all indicates that this is a 251ci. I still can not figure out the year of this one or what it may be out of, not that any of that really matters as long as there are no fitment issues due to the different year. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

Edited by dodgefreak73

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still trying to figure out these numbers and am hoping someone might be able to help decipher them so I know what year engine I'm looking at. I just mainly want to be sure there won't be any fitment issues with parts like the flywheel, transmission, etc. I'm pretty sure there won't be any issues with the mounts just not sure about the crankshaft as mine is a 3 spd manual transmission and this engine has the fluid drive automatic bell-housing assembly on it currently. Thanks in advance

17 minutes ago, Mlindblom said:

Thanks but I have already been there and had no luck with the numbers on this engine! I'm guessing it's going to be next to impossible to figure out the date stamping on this due to it being Canadian! All the decoder's and Flathead sites are American and don't decode the Canadian stuff! Oh well I guess I'll go ahead and buy this engine and hope for the best, if it doesn't work I'll have an expensive paper weight.. Lol