.picked up 2 engines this week.

casper50

I saved a couple of engines and one transmission from the scrappers this week.  Engines and transmission were $125 each.  1st engine and transmission is a 55 Pontiac 287 with 4 speed hydromatic. The interesting one is the hemi. Pulled it out of a 55 1 1/2 ton truck.  It's stuck.  I'm hoping I can save it.  Plugs were in, antifreeze was bright green and it had the hood on and shut.  No air cleaner on it though.  I know nothing about hemi's.  Can some one enlighten me on where the block numbers will be so that I can find out what I've got?  Thanks

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

• Like 2

Look for a stamping on the block on the side where the radiator hose is pointing (passenger side of the car). It will be stamped "D","DE",or "C",with a dash and a numerical code after that. The D means it is a Dodge,the DE means it is a DeSoto,and the C would mean it is a Chrysler.

The numerical code after the letter code tells you which version . For example,one of my DeSoto Hemi's had a number stamped on the block that shows it was a factory 291 cubic inch engine with the factory 4  barrel carbs,and I THINK more compression and a hotter cam than the standard 2 brl engine. Been a while since I deciphered the code and not important enough for me to remember those details. I had intended to put it in my junker 33 Plymouth coupe,but will probably try to find a restorer that wants it,and use the 330 DeSoto in the 33 instead.

Coming from a big truck it SHOULD be a 241 cubic inch Dodge,but since it was a old truck,it could be anything. I am not familiar with Dodge hemi's in trucks,so it is possible there will be another letter after the "D" to signify it is a truck engine,which will probably have smaller valves and less compression.

BTW,yes,there ARE aftermarket speed parts available for the 241 Dodge hemi. 3x2 as well as 4x2 intakes,as well as hotter cams.

Get thee to the Pontiac boards and post that 287 Pontiac and trans for sale. Hard engine to find,and you can bet there has to be someone there looking for it for a restoration project.

Edited by knuckleharley

24 minutes ago, casper50 said:

No numbers on the passenger side of the block.  The driver's side has 3 numbers above the starter.  Can't see any others.

Should be up high,just below the head up front. At least that is where they are on my DeSoto engines.

40 minutes ago, casper50 said:

Bought the Poncho engine and transmission for my wife's 55 wagon.  For the price I couldn't pass up having a spare.

You got that right! I know I would sure hate to have to be tracking down a 287.

took the heads off this morning.  Cylinders look pretty darn good.  One piston has a hole in it. But, the pistons look to need changing anyway.  Turns over by hand pretty easy.  Don't know why it wouldn't turn while in the truck.  Maybe just a bad angle and weak arms.  Still can't find a number on it yet.  Last photo right most cylinder is the one with the bad piston.  The stains on the walls is oil.

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

• Like 1

I kinda thought about what someone said in your other thread, the list they had did not include marine engines.

Is it a possibility that yours is a marine engine and be worth searching there?

While I did a quick search myself, only point of interest I found. Someones engine started with the letter M, deciphered it was the year the engine was manufactured M=1954

So maybe the T would be date.

Edited by Los_Control

found a site that listed truck engines.  all that I could find was a VT344.   Went back and removed more rust.  It is VT 344 which according to the chart makes it a 1954 241ci or a 1955 259 ci 55 270 ci.  Have to find the bore and stoke measurements to determine I guess..

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Early_Hemi_engine_specifications

Edited by casper50